Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Great logic! Pipes of Peace sold more than Driving Rain, Chaos. MAF, and Egypt Station combined, so I guess that means it's a better album than all of those? Nay sir, me thinkist not!

JamesD1957, theMess, The Band and 2 others like this.
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No album has damaged McCartney's legacy because there's someone who likes them.

I absolutely can't stand the vast majority of McCartney II and the Fireman, I'd take Driving Rain, Press, Pipes and Kisses in a heartbeat over those. Now is McCartney's legacy damaged because I don't like those albums? It's ridiculous to even ask the question.

Lonely Road - Great rocker
    Driving Rain - Great song
    About you - Another great rocker, one I wish McCartney would perform live.
    Heather - one of those good piano tunes that only McCartney could write
    Back In The Sunshine Again - absolutely love the soulful vibe
    Your Loving Flame - Back in the day this would have been a hit, a McCartney classic, it's one of his best ballads.

McCartney II has three songs as good as these, and the first two Fireman don't have any, EA has two. Now of course this is just my opinion. Doesn't damage McCartney's legacy at all. As I've posted before, what damages McCartney's legacy for me, is how predictable his live performing set list have been for the last three decades!

utopiarun and Zeki like this.
  3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

:cop:Gotta go with @jconsolmagno here, Doc. You're arguing against something that he's not said as if he's said it. He didn't say it sold better therefore it was better. For something to be proven to have damaged someone's legacy, you'd have to have some sense that the person was held in less general esteem after it than he was before it. Nothing to do with sales, everything to do with respect. No one respected Paul McCartney less because he released Driving Rain. People respected him less after the Broadstreet movie flop. People respected him less after the disastrous Olympics performance. People (not here so much) respected him less after he released the frog thing. Those were legacy damaging events. Releasing an album that was slightly less popular than your other albums does not damage your legacy.

Now, you could say that using the smoking ruins of 9/11 as a promotional tool for your album was a "legacy damaging" action, and that would be valid. I certainly found performing Lonely Road and From a Lover to a Friend at that benefit concert to be very crass. But the album itself isn't particularly legacy damaging, and I don't know that enough people saw or remember the actual broadcast to make commercializing 9/11 at that concert actually be a legacy damaging action.

4. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Yes that thought was nagging at the back of my brain as I wrote that.

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Im not sure anything Paul ever has done could be considered legacy-damaging.
    Driving Rain certanely ain t. It might not be a very good album but it s hardly a disaster. The Broad street movie might be considered a disaster but has it damaged Pauls legacy
    Don t think so
    Pauls career has spanned over such a long period and contains so many highlight that nothing can damage his legacy. There are lesser works and even complete failures.
    So what when one has created what he has-with the Beatles and on his own
    Right now Im in Liverpool-visiters Paul and Johns hones yesterday, the Casbah-club(marvellous place) and all other places connected with Beatles and Paul here.
    What struck me is how absolutely carvef in rock this legacy is and the absolutely amazing thing-Paul is still delivering. Standing in the room were he grow up and on the Casbah-stage were they played in the late fifties gives some perpecstive.
    Nothing can ever damage this legacy
    It s part of history now

jricc, Paperback Writer, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  6. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

‘Paul is still delivering’... I like it :righton:

Enjoy Liverpool.

7. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

Oh man, remember "Ever Present Past" music video? Big time cringing occurred when I saw that one. I like the song well enough, and interestingly he has never performed it live. Off topic, but I've always wondered why he hasn't performed "Ever Present Past" it's a catchier top-tapper than some of the other more contemporary tunes played...

Ringo Hendrix and theMess like this.
  8. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

His artistic work will never damage his legacy. The only thing that could of done is if he had become one of those celebrities that tour every talk show espousing every political belief they personally hold. And sincerely believe they can "save" the planet just because....well, they're famous and deluded. Or I guess some terrible scandal but all The Beatles have been amazingly stable in their personal lives all things considered. Think of the hundreds of celebs nowhere near his or The Beatles fame and legacy and how much they've messed up their life's work and reputation!

The Band and theMess like this.
  9. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

MeToo allegations maybe??:p

10. Dr. Pepper

I think he was implying it, at least twice.
    What is he on about here then Frank?

11. Dr. Pepper

Et to, Bemagnus.

Bemagnus likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

He's on about the sales of the albums before and after it, not it's sales.

13. Dr. Pepper

Yes, but didn't future albums sell worse? Wouldn't that be counter to his argument that the album didn't "damage his legacy"?

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'm not making or negating his argument - he can do that - I'm just pointing out he hadn't used Driving Rain's sales themselves as a measure of its quality as you said he did.

15. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

I've tried to forget it. So my stress-coping answer is "no".:D

theMess and Joseph Marshall like this.
  16. Have a great visit and , of course, write us any interesting tid bits you come upon that are Beatle related. If you see Macca, tell him we love Egypt Station! LOL.

17. Since Who Cares? Has disappeared from his setlist, I posted this live performance for your enjoyment.

It even has a Halloween reference in the song- —. “Ghost in the dark”.

18. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

I finally received my deluxe Egypt Station blue/orange vinyl in the mail!! It took them a month... a whole month to deliver it. Worth the wait I’d say! It sounds great!

19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Oh come on....it can't be any worse than this...

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Having a great time in Liverpool. Iv heard a few different versions of Come on to me and talkad to some people who attended the gig at the Phiharmonic pub. They had absolutely no idea Paul was goin to perform before the gig. Also learnt that they phoned the same day and informed that Paul was goin to visit his childhood home. The regulat guide had her day of something She of course regreted.
    The highlight here was Paul and Johns childhood hones and the Casbah club. A truly amazing place having a private tour in

planckera and Paperback Writer like this.
  21. Ringo Hendrix

...or...this...

:D

Steve Riks should do that. If he hasn't already.

22. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

23. JAMES A KELEMAN

JAMES A KELEMAN Forum Resident

Not sure if you guys are watching but on the Michigan and Wisconsin game, they just played "Get Started", an instrumental version playing in the background when going over stats. Pretty neat!

24. Ringo Hendrix

No. Actually, I think a good word for it is boring.

Would you agree with that?

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I would rather watch the lyric video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.