Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that the Bonus Track "Get Started" was intended to be the first track on the album after "Opening Station." It fits there so well and starts the album off with serious rocking edge.

alexpop, forthlin, theMess and 4 others like this.
  2. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not to be rude, Maybe it's because I'm under the influence of Macca and sleep deprivation... but that's low class. Why thumbs down someone's honest review with no explanation? Could you go in depth and write a review of that review please?

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

First listen and my top 5 are:
    Who Cares
    Happy With You
    Hunt You Down etc
    Do It Now
    Back In Brazil

Amazingly enough...Fuh You, in context with the album, isn't something I needed to skip.

Very disappointed, as said above, with Despite Repeated Warnings

Dominoes? It's all right. I'll listen again tomorrow.

4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I might do a switcharoo on my DAP to make it the opener. It’s not super necessary, but might be interesting to hear.
    Listening to the medley now. It really cements the fact that this is a totally different listening experience than New. I love New. But this album seems more complex and a little more challenging. Just seems like there is more going on. I’m not sure where I’d rank this one yet beside the last four of his, but it seems like more of a grower than New.

Rickchick, The Band, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  5. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Agreed. That's what I'm enjoying about this album - it's a blast. It's unpretentious and it's not going for the serious, artful approach (though of course it's very well crafted). There are plenty of McCartney albums like that (Flaming Pie, Chaos, etc. etc..) and they're great. Instead, this one has the energy and sense of adventure of Ram, Band On The Run and Tug Of War...

6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Because he’s made his point previously and is kicking a dead horse at this point. Let others listen without the negativity to cloud their judgement.

foxylady and Dr. Pepper like this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

:thumbsdow

I'm kidding!:biglaugh:

8. Dr. Pepper

Besides this thread says appreciation right in the title!:pineapple:

Tord, mikedifr0923, foxylady and 3 others like this.
  9. Ringo Hendrix

Funny. Very funny. Thanks, doc.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  10. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I love this album! Third listen already, waiting for Fallon to come on. Exciting time to be a McCartney fan!

11. Ringo Hendrix

One thing I will say about "New". It sounds fuller. And songs had proper endings.

I like New better as an album so far. We shall see.

Vinyl_Blues and Frank like this.
  12. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Besides, the first post said to "discuss what you love (or dislike) about the new album." I posted an honest well-reasoned balanced review discussing both.
    I don't have a point besides discussing what I love (or dislike) about the album. I went track by track in discussing both. Music Appreciation is the analysis of music. I analyzed it beyond "I got up and danced." I apologize if that makes you or anyone else uncomfortable in their own beliefs about the album. Obviously, I did this assuming everyone could and would form their own opinions and weren't completely susceptible to suggestion.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Has he been on Falcon yet ?

14. Ringo Hendrix

Still have to chuckle at Planet/Janet rhyme in Despite Repeated Warnings

The Band, FJFP and Shak Cohen like this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

I like how the album constantly stair steps up in quality every few tracks. It's like Paul saying, "You liked those first few tracks, didn't think I had it in me did you? Well here is 'Who Cares' bet you care about that one! Want me to step it up again, here is 'Dominoes,' bet they knocked you right over! Bet you think we've reached the top, nope I have three more gears, '''Ceaser Rock,' nice huh, try 'Despite Repeated Warnings'. Oh I get it I could never go higher than that right? Got one more for you, well three really '''Hunt You Down/Naked/C-link'. " Paul drops the mike and walks off stage!

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Not that it matter but I sort of agree with you here. This time you made an effort to honestly
    rewiew and claim your opnions about the album. I don t in any way agree with those but can t really argue about your right to discuss them. Ecspecially since the rules clearly was to discuss what one like or (dislike) about the album. I respect everyones wiews as long as mine are treated equally

The Band, Octowen, theMess and 6 others like this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

You have a gift for understatement!

theMess likes this.
  18. Dr. Pepper

Hard to argue with that, except for the "egot one like" part.

BZync, theMess and Bemagnus like this.
  19. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

My song ratings:

Opening Station n/a
    I Don't Know 9/10
    Come On To Me 7/10
    Happy With You 10/10
    Who Cares 8/10
    Fuh You 5/10
    Confidante 9/10
    People Want Peace 8/10
    Hand In Hand 10/10
    Dominoes 8/10
    Back In Brazil 6/10
    Do It Now 9/10
    Caesar Rock 8/10
    Despite Repeated Warnings 8/10
    Station II n/a
    Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link 10/10

Overall Rating: 8.21/10.00

DaBear, JamesD1957, theMess and 5 others like this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Everyone should post their track by track. I'd read every one. I realize my views are probably not the mainstream McCartney fanview, but they are my honest views. I love what I love a lot, and I dislike what I dislike with reason.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ansolutely -I will post both a track by track and
    overall rewiew in time. Just need it all to sink in
    given both the diversityvand lengh of the album.
    Right now I love it unashamedely and are Happy you at lear found a few tracks to enjoy

22. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Not a huge Macca fan but dip in and out over the decades. But, this album has grabbed me from the get go. The twee stuff is reigned in, the pop is popier, the rock is rockier and the art is artier. Like the best bits of Memory and Electric Arguments (the songier stuff) - rolled out in a continuous, consistent whole rounded off with two songs of Wingsarian proportians. Go Paul. I may be converted yet...

tages, The Band, forthlin and 13 others like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Watching Fallon: Paul’s comedy chops have really improved over the years. He used to be kind of awkward on these chat shows, but he can genuinely do “the straight man” or “the funny man” in a 2-person attack these days, :righton:

24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

You got me
    again
    :winkgrin:

25. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Live listening commentary:

Opening station - sets the mood immediately... we’re going on a journey!

I don’t know - what can be said about this song that we don’t already know from the single release? It’s somber top shelf Macca a la “Too Much Rain,”

Come on to me - loved it when it came out, still love it!

Happy With You - love the guitar playing, very beautiful. Reminiscent of Blackbird, Jenny Wren, and Sunshine Sometime, with the great playing.

Who Cares - the bass is great here. Paul said this song is about forgetting the bullies in life and picking yourself up. Some high singing here too, he sounds good in his upper voice still, too. The bridge or maybe b section of this song is really nice - as typical of Paul and the Beatles it kicks the song into another gear at the right moment. At this point I’m very impressed. Lovely fade out, a fave for me so far. The album is hanging together very well sonically and I actually get the sensation of traveling through different musical landscapes. It’s giving me Sgt Pepper’s, RAM in terms of sonic unity but also a little bit of Revolver with it being a grab bag of sounds.

Fuh You - As I thought, Fuh You works much much much better in the context of a very eclectic album. It sounds like Paul stopping in the 21st century. Bass is still appealing here. The bridge of this song is very good!! Colorful. I think I can appreciate this song as Paul trying his hand at the millennial pop sound. He succeeds but I still dislike the lyrics.

Confidante - This song is very peaceful to me. Again, the guitar is great. I don’t know about the vocal melody. It’s ok. I feel like the vocal melody wants to go places but Paul’s current vocals don’t allow for it, a common drawback of some of his later albums.

People Want Peace - Nice opening. I like the sentiment of this song so I’m immediately swayed to the positive. When the drums come in the song really picks up. There are a lot of interesting twists and turns in this song, musically. Has Paul been listening to RAM and pinching himself? LOL. I’m hearing Chaos and Creation and New leanings, too. Paul throws a little Richard scream in there and it sounds good. I think this a nice anthem and better than Cosmically Conscious, hehe.

Hand in Hand - the flutes (?) on this are gorgeous. Paul is really stretching himself musically. I wasn’t convinced at first but the flutes drew me in.

Dominoes - by this point this section of the album is dragging a bit for me. Confidante through Hand In Hand, excluding People Want Peace, have a sameness about them that makes them blend together a bit. The opposite of the first part through Fuh You. So maybe this section is more like Driving Rain lol. It’s kind of a mid tempo, mellow, almost like it would be a perfect listen on a stormy day. The vocal melodies are blending so I can’t really remember them. Oh wait, now I’m hearing experimentation like Electric Arguments and I’m more interested... and it’s gone. Seems like a token nod, not there with enough conviction, but fun. What I like though is Paul is into everything he’s saying, so on another listen it will probably sink in more. Good bass. Ok, This is the first song I played twice. I think... I really like this song. But I don’t like the placement of it on the album, actually.

Back In Brazil - I don’t mind this but I’m not in love with it either. It’s a story song of sorts. Damn Paul is really playing his bass, though. And I just love all the experimentation — he seems like he’s having so much fun!

Do It Now - the lyrics are so solid on this album. Paul is so open. I’m enjoying the sentiments of these songs. This song again has a somber ness to it, but also motivating. There is an element of baroque/ness to it, which I like. It provides another unique sound on the album.

Caesar Rock - WOW Paul’s working the vocals here. As the song suggests he’s rocking, but he’s in a deeper voice. He sounds really good. OK I’m definitely getting aspects of Driving Rain here. Like Rinse The Raindrops, but better. Has some middle eastern elments. This song is really good! Paul’s into it!

Despite Repeated Warnings - Shades Of Wanderlust here in the opening. It’s kind of like a rock opera medley though. The transitions are nice. I like this a lot, particularly the middle section, which is kind of It’s Not On meets Mr Bellamy. I have to say, Paul sounds more vital and overflowing with ideas than you would think any 76 year old rock musician has a lot to be. There’s almost “too much” going on on first listen, which isn’t really a bad thing, because similar to RAM, the more we listen the more it will make sense. The album has picked up again since Do It Now as far as variety.

Closing Station - I actually like these station interludes. This one here is a bit of a palette cleanser.

Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link - this song is like the Encore. I love the vibe of it. Starts to get a bit proggy with the lead guitar - I think that is C-link. I love prog. It closes with a bit of a quiet fade out instead of a racous ending.

Overall impression: so we’ve heard the Chaos & Creation comparisons, and for I Don’t Know specifically they are appropriate, but I think that by the end I’m actually hearing more Driving Rain. There are certainly RAM and Sgt Pepper’s influences, especially when it comes to boundless musical ideas. I’m actually not hearing much Wingsy-ness besides the odd flourish. Paul’s lyrics are really solid here and I feel like he is singing them with conviction. He’s very open here. The first half of the album, I think I enjoyed a lot because it has the singles and I knew they were going. But there is certainly a lot of good things here. Overall the tone is mellow but encouraging, with the odd rocker thrown in. I like it, I think there are definitely no stinkers, although Fuh You has it’s moments. For me, I’ll have to listen more, but initial feelings are solid 7/10. I enjoyed the journey!

streetlegal, Tord, The Band and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.