Paul McCartney - Egypt Station - Traveller’s Edition / Explorer's Edition*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Gotta love a typo: the credit on the back of the Explorer's outer case reads "Made in Czech Repubic" :)

2. Paul H

I'd like to kick off a little more discussion about a glitch I hear on the VINYL version of Hand in Hand.

I mentioned it months ago in the other thread and appeared to be the only person on the planet who had a vinyl pressing with this glitch. The thing is, I now have three vinyl copies of this album (two copies of the original black pressing and now the black vinyl Explorer's Edition) and ALL THREE have the same glitch. It is not present on the download or CD I have of the album. Really, am I going mad here???

It can be heard clearly at 27 seconds in, as Macca sings the word "promise".

Surely, I can't be the owner of the only three copies in the world that have this issue?

3. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Well, that more or less squares with my memory of Prague...
    A beautiful, beautiful city, by the way. Completely worth visiting, regardless of how excited you may otherwise be about a visit to the Repubic.

Ricardo Cosinaro, formu_la and Paul H like this.
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Same here. This album has gotten quite a bit of play from me in the past weeks as well as when it first came out. If McCartney stopped herald never made another album, I would be okay with that. It's destined to be considered one of his classics in my opinion. I like to start playing the album in the car as I start out for work. I t goes well with the 'journey' theme. :)

I don't quite agree with all the hate for this song. I don't think it's THAT bad. But certainly, one of the bonus tracks would have made a better choice for its spot the regular album.

Choba b CCCP and maccawings like this.
  5. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

I really enjoy the longer “who cares” as well. Adds depth and character to the song. Would have loved it on the main album

Who Cares, DavidP and alduchaney like this.
  6. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

It’s probably not a widespread hate, but more of a personal one. First McCartney song ever that evokes a strong personal negative reaction....ie....hate

Hawkman likes this.
  7. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

(Expected) information for those of you who have ordered the 3 LP colored vinyl version from MusicVaultz:

”Unfortunately there has been a delay in receiving Egypt Station: Explorer's Edition (3LP Color) from the supplier, but we should be receiving stock in the next 3-14 days.”

Appears there have been some production issues...

mikecarrera likes this.
  8. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Al Schmitt the engineer caught my eye cause I'm doing a Jefferson Airplane thread. Was he on the original Egypt Station release? He worked with some biggies -

From Wiki;
    In 1963 he moved to RCA in Hollywood as a staff engineer,[4] the first engineer hired for the studio.[1] While at RCA he engineered albums for Henry Mancini, Cal Tjader, Al Hirt, Rosemary Clooney, Liverpool Five, The Astronauts, Sam Cooke ("Bring It On Home to Me," "Cupid," "Another Saturday Night") in 1961. He also did a lot of motion picture scoring work for Alex North and Elmer Bernstein. In addition, Schmitt worked with Jascha Heifetz's "Million Dollar Trio", which comprised Heifetz himself, Arthur Rubinstein on the piano, and Gregor Piatigorsky or Emanuel Feuermann on cello. Schmitt once stated that "Mr. Heifetz was very temperamental in the Studio." He has also stated that Heifetz would have angry fits during recording sessions. Schmitt also engineered the recording sessions held at RCA Hollywood for Elvis Presley's first post-army motion picture for Paramount Pictures, titled G.I. Blues. These recording sessions were held on April 27–28, 1960.

In 1966 Schmitt left RCA and became an independent producer. He produced albums for Jefferson Airplane, Eddie Fisher, Glenn Yarborough, Jackson Browne and Neil Young. In the mid 1970s he began spending more time engineering again, recording and mixing artists from Willy DeVille to Dr. John.

Other career highlights include engineering both Frank Sinatra Duets albums, Ray Charles' Genius Loves Company and some of Diana Krall's albums. Much of his work in the last few years has been with producer Tommy LiPuma. He has also recorded Sammy Davis, Jr., Natalie Cole, Thelonious Monk, Elvis Presley, Tony Bennett, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and many others.

Most recently, in 2014, Schmitt worked on Bob Dylan's album, Shadows in the Night, which was released on January 30, 2015
    -----

This Wiki resume needs a Paul McCartney update.

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I'm more than happy to be a flag bearer for the "I love Back In Brazil, it rocks!" brigade. :)

10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Explorer edition just arrived. 2CD. No exotic packaging. Single fold digipack with two unsleeved discs and a tri-fold lyric sheet. Not had chance to listen yet but have aleady heard most of the new material so not expecting surprises.

11. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Agree, it's a fun listen!

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I wasn't going to get this, as there are really only 2 new songs (I have the Target edition with the other 2), but they are really good. I'm surprised. I didn't much care for the bonus tracks on New when it was re-released as a collectors edition. These are much better.

Bemagnus likes this.
  13. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I've been watching iTunes to see if Explorer's would be added, but kind of gave up hope since I never saw an option for a pre-order. Lo and behold, looked today, and there it is! I purchased "Frank Sinatra's Party" and "Sixty-Second Street". $1.29 each. So combined with my original 2lp set and that "exclusive" Target CD, I feel pretty sure that I've got all of the Egypt Station that I need. I generally buy CD's or LP's of releases that I like, but I wasn't going to pony up $20 bucks for the Explorer's edition since I was only interested in those two songs, so iTunes was an easy choice for me when it became available. I'm once again a happy Egypt Station camper. :)

14. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I have 6 vinyl of this album and can't say I remember any glitch but I'd have go back and listen to he sure. But apparently I am the only person in the world with a defective record store day release of I Don't Know/Come On To Me.
    I mentioned that my copy falls in and out of speed on one side of the single. Something no one else reported and several people said they have never had any vinyl do what mine is doing.

Paul H likes this.
  15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Although...I do have to admit that I was a little stumped when shouts of 'ICHIBAN!' first hit my ears. Still a little weird but it is what it is. :)

16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah! Mine now also says tomorrow by 8pm!

[Of course, last week we had three items supposed to be guaranteed to arrive by 8pm Monday, and they did not... call to Amazon and got $15 gift card.]

17. can you please share with us photos of the colored ones? I'm losing my lost to have ones with all these cancelled and delayed ones from my orders?

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think Back In Brazil is better than that Sinatra song.

Disagree, Back In Brazil is one of the best songs on ES, much better than that Sinatra song.

Count me as a member!

19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

It would've been nice if Rusty or Laurence Juber added a sizzling guitar solo on BIB.

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I disagree, it's not that type song, it's excellent just the way it is. The new extended Who Cares is the song that could have used a really scorching guitar solo!

21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I would like to hear Back In Brazil as a Sinatra song...

:hide:

Peachy likes this.
  22. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

I know it's a demo from 40 odd years ago, but Sinatra sounds vaguely similar to what was on the last Avalanches record. I like both tracks.

23. Paul H

Please do have a listen.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Whatever happened to the purported Back In Brazil mix variations?

Elliottmarx likes this.
  25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Maybe so. But I kinda hear a "Goodnight Tonight" type guitar solo on this track......but then I'm not a musician.

Elliottmarx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.