Paul McCartney - Egypt Station - Traveller’s Edition / Explorer's Edition*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

And I don’t remember getting a firm yes if it was played at all

2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I can't say I buy into that. They have four people plus a Wix on stage. You can do pretty much anything live nowadays with that much and it doesn't have to be a carbon copy of the studio version either.

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I don't buy into it either. It may just be Paul's reasoning, flawed as it is.

Who Cares, theMess and omikron like this.
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I'll let you know when I get it. Preordered the Japanese SHM tour edition on Amazon yesterday.

If I'm going to buy my 179th copy of this album, I want it to be the best sounding piece of physical media I can get. We'll see if I like it better than the vinyl.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I personally believe he has ignored 'Dominoes' for the same reason he has ignored 'Despite Repeated Warnings' and 'Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link'; they are all too long in his mind for new material to be played at his concerts. We all know how worried he is with those leaving for toilet breaks sadly. Had 'Dominoes' been 2-3 minutes, I am sure he would have performed it after all of the praise it received.

If that isn't the reason why, it may be the result of the strange logic that saw him never performing the short and catchy single 'Ever Present Past', which never made sense to me. Maybe he just doesn't 'feel it' as a live song for whatever reason.

6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Seems Frank Sinatra’s Party increases in tempo ever so slightly during the final verse?

Love the funky bass drop towards the end of "You don't have to doubt yourself."

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Who Cares likes this.
  7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I feel like most performers get excited about performing their new songs. Paul, not so much.

What I would give to have Paul perform 2 hour concerts with encore. Then he could come out and say thank you all for coming, and for anyone who would like to stay we are going to now perform my new album in it's entirety!

Who Cares, susyredstripe and theMess like this.
  8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Encore Station: Standing Ovation Edition ;)

9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

There's probably more from Egypt Station that'll be done live. New was released October 2013, and "On My Way To Work" debuted in Albany NY July 2014. Hopefully when the Freshen Up tour hits the US leg (in just a few weeks time!), we'll end up with a song or two more being done from Egypt Station. "People Want Peace" and "Do It Now" are probably the easiest songs remaining from the album (i.e., the least complex), and I can only assume that "People Want Peace" would be pretty good when done in front of an audience.

10. Dr. Pepper

PWP is a natural sing along.

11. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

People Want Peace may hold a candle to Give Peace A Chance after all.... :)

Who Cares likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

They would make a good medley.

13. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Listening enjoyment:

1. RAM
    2. McCartney
    3. Tug Of War
    4. Egypt Station (my version)
    5. Band On The Run
    6. Back To The Egg
    7. McCartney II
    8. Red Rose Speedway

“Legacy” Albums:

1. RAM
    2. McCartney
    3. Band On The Run
    4. Tug Of War
    5. McCartney II
    6. Wings material
    7. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard
    8. Egypt Station

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  14. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

OT but I want to say thank you for making me aware of this shop! Did not know them before (they're even from Berlin) and Qobuz is becoming ridiculously expensive in parts. I almost bought the HR ES-EE at Qobuz. This saved me about €10! I feel as I have got the CD and was pondering a HR purchase anyway, that this is a viable option.
    Also bought Sgt Pepper Super Deluxe for a price I liked, at least they claim that everyrhing is HR. So that means I've now got the remix in HR and more accessible than the BR and the mono mix in HR plus the outtakes. Nice.

dtuck90 likes this.
  15. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

Listening enjoyment:

1. London Town
    2. Off The Ground
    3. Memory Almost Full
    4. Press To Play
    5. Tug Of War
    6. Wings Wild Life
    7. Flaming Pie
    8. Egypt Station
    9. Twin Freaks
    10. Venus & Mars

“Legacy” Albums:

I tried to put something together but it didn't really work out. "Band On The Run" would most probably be on the list. People seem to like this album. :)

Ringo Hendrix and omikron like this.
  16. Were lyrics videos? Seems a life ago!!!

maccawings likes this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

I like how we are listing by enjoyment! Sometimes I'll get on a Press To Play kick and listen to it 4 or 5 times in a couple week span, but doesn't make it Paul's best album or anything. Just a favorite listen at the time.

jricc and theMess like this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I added them

19. Beatguy

Beatguy Active Member

Does anyone know where the full lyric video forBack In Brazil can be found. I did not know about it but this post promted me to search; however only a 17 second clip exists. This video passed me by at the time so if anyone is able to share, thanks for the updates

20. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

Just discovered something. I was comparing a photo of Paul during recording for ES from 2 different sources and discovered that some cleanup work had been done on the picture for social media.

The line on the wall to the left of Paul disappears, and a wrinkle disappears from Paul's face!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Yorick, Oyster Boy, omikron and 4 others like this.
  21. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

His legacy albums are, without a doubt (in order of release)

1. Ram
    2. Band On The Run
    3. Tug Of War
    4. Flowers In The Dirt
    5. Flaming Pie
    6. Chaos And Creation In The Backyard

Those have most been praised upon release (save for Ram- which is clearly now a legacy album) and debatably get referred to as McCartney’s greatest by default most often.

Flowers is probably the most debatable here but it was seen as a massive comeback at the time from all I’ve read. (I wasn’t around then)

22. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Legacy:
    1. Band On The Run(this is in no particular order, but this is hands down his legacy)
    2. Ram
    3. Chaos and Creation
    4. Tug Of War
    5. Flaming Pie
    My enjoyment as of today:

1. Egypt Station
    2. Red Rose Speedway
    3. RAM
    4. NEW
    5. London Town
    I have been really loving Red Rose as of lately, and London Town. I’ve talked my junk in the past about those albums but lately they’ve really connected with me. NEW being pushed down to 4 is something I can hardly believe myself.

Egypt Station has such a RAM/Wings album vibe, I can’t help but love it so much. It’s a double album in my eyes because of the vinyl so it’s like what Red Rose should have been in 1973 in 2018(if that makes since)

Oyster Boy, Ringo Hendrix and theMess like this.
  23. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Personal top 5, the first one is pretty much permanent, others come and go:

1. Venus and Mars

2. Ram
    3. Chaos and Creation
    4. Flowers in the Dirt
    5. Wildlife

24. Dr. Pepper

What's cool is that in 2018 we also got the real Red Rose Speedway Double album as intended! In one year we got Paul's best new release of his solo career and Paul's best re-release archive as well.

Who Cares, Eska68, supermd and 2 others like this.
  25. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I remember watching that lyric video. I think it was on Spotify or something similar.

It's a pity none of the "special editions" include a DVD with all the promo videos, lyric videos and footage from the recording sessions, like the disc we got on that NEW hardcover book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.