Paul McCartney - Egypt Station - Traveller’s Edition / Explorer's Edition*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I wish we got a similar thing for Egypt Station, like the NEW hardcover book. I say that as someone who owns and enjoys the Suitcase.

MPLRecords and 5th-beatle like this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The DVD will be on the "Egypt Station Vagabond Edition". :righton:

3. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I personally like "sightseers edition" but honestly, let's not give them ideas

Darrin L. likes this.
  4. Flaming Pie ? Uh really ?????????

5. jricc

jricc Senior Member

All time fave 5
    Band on the Run
    Red Rose Speedway
    Venus and Mars
    Ram
    Flaming Pie

Current Listening 5
    Egypt Station Explorers Edition
    New
    Chaos
    Off the Ground
    Tug of War

Guilty Pleasure - Played to Press (P to P stripped mixes)
    Fave classical endeavor - Liverpool Oratorio

Dr. Pepper and streetlegal like this.
  6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Interesting analysis. I really do like how the lyrics of "Confidante" have a double meaning behind them. Yeah, he's talking about a guitar, but you can replace the subject to your own liking. It could be about a person and when I first heard the song, I knew it was about a guitar, but I took the song and combined it with my life and had it be for a person. Truly magical and very personal. It's still my favorite song from Egypt Station.

bward and Monasmee like this.
  7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

So it's not about Harry Potter? Or Mademoiselle Kitty?

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Ooh, I like this idea.

For me some of the more questionable albums that I find myself repeatedly going back to are Press to Play, London Town, Back To The Egg, Pipes of Peace, and the guiltiest pleasure I go back to the most Wild Life.

Guilty Avoiders-
    Albums considered career highlights that I don't play much.

McCartney I and II
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Chaos and Creation
    Venus and Mars

All time guiltiest avoider
    The Beatles - Revover:hide:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    jricc, Ringo Hendrix and Bemagnus like this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Guess Wild Life is a real guilty pleasure for me-not least the deluxe with the rough mix. Objectively it s hard to argue that the album beside a few great songs seems a bit unfinished . But I love it and always have. Actually like it more now than back in the days
    The one Macca album I never found a pleasant listening is Press to play. There are others like Back to the egg I never took on but unlike PTP still find things to really enjoy
    Then we have McCartey 2-I almost hated it when released.20 years later I went back-and started to love it. Now one of my favorites-not least the gorgeous deluxe-edition
    Then we have albums like Of the Ground -don t dislike it just find it bland and boring
    Then there is stuff like Ram, BOTR,Tug of war, Chais Flaming pie or Egypt Station-that are -for me-as good as Macca can be. The double Red rose speedway fits in there to

jricc and Oyster Boy like this.
  10. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

"Get Started" was the one track that was a bit "meh" for me on the original Target edition. But others were right: it does work well as an opening track.

And, for that matter, it is nice to have "Nothing for Free" as a follow-up. I loved the track but found it hard to imagine as anything other than a single. It works well here, and proves it could have been an album track. Ironically, "Get Enough" made for a horrible single but feel right at home as an album track. It adds an emotional depth that is arguably just a little lacking from the actual album--though the autotune still detracts for me. Fast becoming a favourite as an album "deep cut"!

It feels right to have each of these tracks integrated rather than as added-on extras. The songs feels so much better played against each other--having them as extras just did them no favours and didn't do much for the actual album. Better to have waited and put them all together like this in a mini-album.

It's hard to think of an album that just has so many tacks that bring so much pleasure.

Eska68, Sean Murdock, theMess and 3 others like this.
  11. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Listening enjoyment:

Pipes Of Peace Side One
    Egypt Station
    Ram
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Venus and Mars

Ought to listen to more:

Driving Rain
    Off The Ground

12. I would remove Ram from the list above. It was not lauded upon its release—in fact, it was ridiculed by most critics. Of course, the fans always loved it. Its status in the catalog was re-evaluated by the critics in the 2000’s.

13. My top five, subject to change:

McCartney
    Band on the Run
    Ram
    Tug of War
    Back to the Egg

theMess and JamesD1957 like this.
  14. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Anyone complaining about the over-priced various ES editions should just wait for the Time Travellers Edition. Then go back and cancel their previous orders.

Ludger, Eska68, Sean Murdock and 9 others like this.
  15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

After repurchasing my cancellations a thousand times.... never again! ;)

django68 likes this.
  16. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Yeah. It’s one of his most highly acclaimed albums ever, seen as a return to form and when people are suggested McCartney albums, it’s one of the most often suggested. Why wouldn’t it be a legacy album?

True, but it’s still nonetheless become a legacy album since then. It’s the odd one out, the only one that wasn’t critically lauded upon release yet is now critically praised by nearly every McCartney fan.

Heck I’d **ALMOST** include McCartney II due to its experimentation- but not in a particularly good way. It’s perhaps his most infamous sub-par album while not necessarily being his worst. I could be wrong about that, though.

Then again, this is all kind of redundant. It’s just music, to be enjoyed and listened to, not rated.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Ehhh, McCartney II's stature has risen this century. It's actually well-reviewed critically now! Aside from Speed of Sound and Pipes Of Peace, all of the albums receiving Archive reissues have seen similar new praise. I was floored when positive reviews of Wild Life - freakin' Wild Life! - popped up at the end of last year.

theMess, FKA002 and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think you need a do-over: REVOVER???

;)

supermd and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, I was very busy writing all of those reviews. The only problem was that I kept running out of pseudonyms ... ;)

20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Press To Play came out last year? Well shoot. I was waiting for that one.

Who Cares, theMess, planckera and 5 others like this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Ahhhh, so you were Hugh Jafro. ;)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  22. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Did you try the Wreck Of The Hesperus? ;)

Or did you feel more like the Wall of China?

23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Part of me has to wonder what's behind some of these reappraisals come in from reviewers.

Some things I totally get....Ram was always a fan favorite and McCartney II might be respected now for what it tried to accomplish, but others...I wonder if Paul's name just carries an instant favorability?

Don't get me wrong, I have always liked Wild Life, so it's not like I don't see what's to like.

I also think some of the contemporary reviews were over the top harsh, so maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Ok, I think that I have all I want to include on my Egypt Station USB and it all fit on one USB!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I definitely improved my Traveler Edition with the additions!!

Hawkman, Eska68, Who Cares and 7 others like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I suspected that all the time. The most suspicious rewiew is the one were the writer praised Bip Bop as a hypnotic tour de force.(or something in that way )
    Who else could have written such a praise for that particular little ditto
    No-one
    :)

Arnold Grove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.