Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Paul, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident Thread Starter

With the set now released, it is time to discuss the sound quality. Share your sound quality opinions, waveforms, DR values, etc...

Sean and Contact Lost like this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Given that half the participants of the anticipation thread are still anticipating receipt of this release, this thread may be a slow burner :)

Sean, AppleCorp3 and coffeetime like this.
  3. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident Thread Starter

True but there’s already a sound quality debate brewing in that thread so better to bring that here.

Sean, Lewisboogie and Paul H like this.
  4. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Besides the issue with Souvenir, the remaster is quite amazing (on vinyl). Can't speak to the home recordings.

Sean, jmxw, lord K and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Ref the supposed issue in Souvenir i will repeat what I said in the other thread, what you are hearing is a pronounced pluck on a nylon stringed guitar. The sound is there on the original mastering. However, the new mastering has really brought that to the fore. I may well be wrong but that is what it sounds like to me.

If this is a mastering error how did they manage to get it perfectly in tune?

Sean, detroit muscle, ptijerm and 9 others like this.
  6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It does appear to be on the beat, which would be a fluke if it were an error.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

McCartney is so musically talented that even his digital glitches remain perfectly in tune and right on the beat... ;)

8. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Have to agree... I’ve only listened to the first disc in the vinyl set however what I’ve heard is absolutely fantastic.

marklamb and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Nicolas1234

Nicolas1234 Forum Resident

Considering there are 5 or 6 Flaming tracks appearing on the 2016 Pure McCartney, one key question is if the 2020 remasters are the 2016 remasters, or yet brand new ones ...

Futurecity and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Even on crummy headphones, the difference is huge. This is a good sign that they're willing to undo more aggressive mastering. This the first album of the brickwall era (even though the original wasn't that bad). Jeff Lynne's darker mixing approach with lots of low mid is especially bad for modern day mastering so this is great.

supermd, pantofis, walrus and 3 others like this.
  11. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Comparing the vinyl:
    Parlophone, Capitol, new Re-issue.
    On my system, the re-issue stands above both previous original releases.
    Bigger Soundstage- much deeper and fuller than both, although the Capitol press out ranks the Parlophone.
    Instruments, particularly guitars and keyboards, are wonderfully musical and seem to 'fit' better in the mix, while being more pronounced, if that makes any sense.
    Quite impressed so far.

RubenH, jdrueke, ted321 and 2 others like this.
  12. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I thought the vocals are too in your face. They seem to have a bit of a shrillness which I would attribute to an EQ boost around 500 Hz.

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Lost track of the cluttered original thread, so I applaud this separation. Posted a bit on the mastering here, and will follow up later:

On the inverted polarity and 'Pure McCartney' (@Nicolas1234 ):

14. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

He has perfect glitch.

15. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I have to admit this was my first impression as well, especially on the issue of shrillness on the vocals. I also detect some of the mids being dialed back a bit?

For things like the acoustics or cymbals it’s quite welcome and contributes to a better soundstage and depth to the sound.

In the coming days I’ll dig out my Parlophone vinyl and Capitol CD releases to compare. But really no major complaints from me, just a different sound.

16. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Try dialing down the 1.4kHz - 2kHz range. Made a big difference when I was listening to the Deluxe remaster on Tidal

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  17. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

What is the issue with "Souvenir"?

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Just a squeaky guitar noise some have interpreted as a glitch (it's not). Again, less annoying with the 1.4-2k notched down a few dB. Your mileage/system may vary

19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Hold on, I'm reading up on this, and what makes you think it's not a glitch? A few remasters in these series have a traditional glitch: 'Magneto And Titanium Man' got a skip, 'Love Is Strange' got a skip, which both happened in the digital domain since the hi-res versions don't contain those skips.

And the bit in 'Souvenir' definitely doesn't sound like a "squeaky guitar noise", but like a part which got accidentally "paste mixed" during spectral editing. It wasn't there on the original CD master, vinyl version. It wasn't there on the 'Pure McCartney' 2015 remaster. And now it appears out of nowhere.

This has nothing to do with a bit which was "emphasised on" in the new remaster. In no way this loud "blip" can suddenly appear, not even after the most extreme EQ-ing or limiting. Both things which don't apply to any part of this remaster at all.

jmxw and 905 like this.
  20. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I’ll just add that it’s also on the original mastering so intended or not, like the airplane on Black Country Woman or Ringos squeaky drum pedal, it is part of the album

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

The error we're talking about is not on the original album.

905 and followmehome like this.
  22. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I guess we'll have to remaster the remaster ourselves. Where can we send the bill?

23. herbaltree

herbaltree Forum Resident

Hi Mindgames, I have the hi-res version of 'Love Is Strange', and that has the skip too (maybe they fixed it on later downloads?)

daveidmarx and supermd like this.
  24. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

It is 100% a glitch. I've even posted a frequency spectrum graph in the original thread that clearly shows the anomaly compared to the original CD. Squeaky guitar noise! LOL

[​IMG]

The remaster is the top one.

905 likes this.
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I stand corrected, just listened to my promo cd from release day side by side.

It does make a nice quirky addition tho, imo. Certainly not intrusive being right on beat

905 likes this.