Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. In 2030 Paul will be, hopefully, 88 and I don't think he’ll care that much to speak or not about the breakup or the divorce...

2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I totally agree. [yes, I saw you had them all in there...]

maccawings likes this.
  3. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

:love: :wave:

mikecarrera and maccawings like this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Boredom seriously creeping in....first week and change was a heavy Netflix and Firestick binge. Second phase was creating and listening to Macca playlists. This week , mad scientist phase has begun.

jammincrowe, Sean, JLPMacca and 3 others like this.
  5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I know what you mean. I have a part time job as a dealer trade driver for a Toyota dealership. Work about 2 days/week. Sales are WAY down. Although I look forward to taking road trips for them ( 500 miles round trip) I’m not going anywhere for awhile.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

Stuck inside over a week now.
    Went back to Pie for a bit but now I’m going back to the Macca I’ve not played in yonks. Press, London Town and Venus and Mars.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Main thing is for you all to stay safe. Can't really see July being feasible for the Flaming Pie release on a few levels, distribution, manufacture and that some people are gonna struggle financially to pay for a big box set and MPL will be aware of that. But hey, ho, so long as it appears at some point and we are all around to enjoy/debate/criticise(?) it, in the whole scheme of things, thats what really matters. Just keep rediscovering your collections:)

8. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I have a nice stack of about 25 new Blu-ray and some new 4k discs that I am finally putting a dent into while also watching things like the Beatles 1+ videos last night...….very enjoyable (obviously)!

longdist01 and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. Wingsfan2012

Also for those who think they are "forced into streaming", I ordered a 4k Blu-ray disc (Forrest Gump) from Amazon on Friday and it arrived yesterday.

Same with CD's and vinyl. The media is putting it out there that Netflix and Hulu are the only way to go during this crisis....that is far from the truth at this point.

10. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Dr. Dog, longdist01 and parman like this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

my friend from Japan sent me a Cold Cuts Mix 2 which he enhanced with some computer software. Cage sounds much brighter and Waterspout not nearly as murky. Beyond my means so I have no idea what he did

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Personally I get the whole streaming thing, but I am old school, I like to own my music. Just not what I’m into after a lifetime of accumulation of thousands of CD’s. But I certainly get it for those with small collections or just starting out. It’s access to so much for a small price!

13. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Speaking of mad scientist, I have dug deep into my vault of CD's, and came across 3 CD's that a friend of mine had recorded (shhhhh!) at Paul's concert in Houston back in 2012. I was at that concert myself, had floor tickets, and considered it a "bucket list" event since I had never seen the Beatles, or a solo Beatle. This was a GREAT concert, and it fit into what I liked at the time. He performed for over 2 1/2 hours, and the only songs he played that I really didn't know well were "Sing the Changes", "My Valentine", and "Dance Tonight". Most all of the songs he played were from prior to 1980. I had not started my McCartney resurgence at that point...but I digress. The CD's were a MESS, but they did have the entire concert. Gaps everywhere, track markers in the middle of songs, songs out of order, even the "medley" had gaps, and that just isn't right! A tough listen. But after about 4 hours of work, I turned it into a full, seamless concert complete with his dialogue. Of all the songs he played, the only one I couldn't "fix" was "The Long And Winding Road". I was able to rescue the other 42 songs! Just listened to the whole thing, without interruption or gaps....brought back FANTASTIC memories of a beautiful night. This was definitely a high point in my otherwise boring stay at home day!

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well done!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Flaming Pie should be an interesting 5.1 listening experience, if MPL decides to release such a mix on blu-ray.

16. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

maybe in the far future when they re-do the Archive Series around 2050 and who knows who will be alive by then! or even this year! Be safe everyone

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, week began with my friend from Japan sending me his personal remaster of Cold Cuts that he did with computer software. He did a really nice job ( especially on Cage and Waterspout), so I did my usual make a nice disk for my shelf. I posted the result on my Facebook page which drew the attention of an old friend. He asked about Waterspout and Cage who’s sound quality sounded muddy from what he remembered. I sent him my friend’s remaster version and he thought it sounded great! He subtly said that if a copy fell off my desk, into an envelope and found it’s way to his address that it would not upset him.

So I came up with an idea, while not the same mixes, 7 of the 12 tracks have found their way to Archive sets and to use the best sounding tracks for each song now calling it “Cold Cuts 2020”. And then add some other archive tracks to fill the disk. Here’s what I came up with (later I will make a longer playlist for myself)

01. A Love For You (Ram archive)
    02. Mama’s Little Girl (RRS archive)
    03. Night Out (RRS archive)
    04. Hey Diddle (Venus and Mars archive)
    05. Best Friend (RRS archive)
    06. Tragedy (RRS archive)
    07. Waterspout (fan remaster)
    08. Same Time Next Year (fan remaster)
    09. Cage (fan remaster)
    10. My Carnival (Venus and Mars archive)
    11. Did We Meet Somewhere Before? (Fan remaster)
    12. Robber’s Ball (fan remaster)
    13. 4th Of July
    14. Let’s Love
    15. 1882 (studio)
    16. When The Wind Is Blowing
    17. Twenty Fine Fingers (studio)
    18. Tommy’s Coming Home (studio)
    19. So Like Candy (studio)
    20. Playboy To A Man (studio)
    21. It’s Not On

Since he stopped collecting years ago and does not own a single archive, some of this should be new to him. As a bonus surprise, I made him a McCartney/MacManus Demo set as well.

01. The Lovers That Never Were
    02. Tommy’s Coming Home
    03. Twenty Fine Fingers
    04. So Like Candy
    05. You Want Her Too
    06. That Day Is Done
    07. Don’t Be Careless Love
    08. My Brave Face
    09. Playboy To A Man
    10. Mistress and Maid
    11. Shallow Grave
    12. I Don’t Want To Confess
    13. Veronica
    14. Pads, Paws And Claws
    15. Back On My Feet
    16. The Lover’s That Never Were (Geoff Emerick mix)

18. Vinyldood

Vinyldood Active Member

That's what I'm saying! I'm pretty sore as well that we're going to have wait that much longer for those!

JDeanB likes this.
  19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Unavoidable as I have explained several times. So you’ll have to enjoy Flaming Pie first

20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Great post, I may do a listening through of one of the 1989 "Flowers In The Dirt" Tour dates ftom MSG, NYC a very generous colleague kindly got made...cannot find my 3x5 color prints from Front row to left of Paul's (psychedelic piano) but it was unforgettable time seeing him, Linda and band way back when.

21. Wingsfan2012

As a huge Wings fan (duh!) I also can't wait for the London Town and Back To The Egg archives, but Flaming Pie is a modern classic of Paul's and I can't wait for the Archive box for it!

22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

My preference would have been the LT and BTTE combo but unavoidably detained

23. Wingsfan2012

MW, one thing can be said in the midst of the current "darkness" is that once we "see the light" we will have some damn good product to look forward to! That is also regardless if it is delayed or not!

Oyster Boy and longdist01 like this.
  24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yes, good way to look at it! I am as guilty as anybody else for being impatient but heck, selfishly, I could use something new to get immersed in

25. Wingsfan2012

In honor of it's 50 year anniversary rapidly approaching, I plan to dig in for the first time in years to the McCartney Archive box-the book, the DVD etc...…….

[​IMG]