Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I hope there will be enough new material to expand my 1-CD master collection for Flaming Pie to 2 discs when the dust settles. I don't include all the mid-80s songs from the Oobu Joobu series in this set as they really have nothing to do with the Flaming Pie sessions. I'm stretching it by including the "Oobu Joobu Theme". As it is now, this is what my single-CD collection looks like:

1 THE SONG WE WERE SINGING
    2 THE WORLD TONIGHT - single (5/6/97)
    3 IF YOU WANNA
    4 SOMEDAYS
    5 YOUNG BOY - single (4/28/97)
    6 CALICO SKIES
    7 FLAMING PIE
    8 HEAVEN ON A SUNDAY
    9 USED TO BE BAD (w/Steve Miller)
    10 SOUVENIR
    11 LITTLE WILLOW
    12 REALLY LOVE YOU
    13 BEAUTIFUL NIGHT - single (12/15/97)
    14 GREAT DAY
    15 LOOKING FOR YOU - “Young Boy” CD-single
    16 BROOMSTICK - “Young Boy” CD-single
    17 OOBU JOOBU THEME - CD-singles (1997)
    18 THE WORLD TONIGHT - sampler mix
    19 YOUNG BOY - sampler mix
    20 SOMEDAYS - sampler mix
    21 TROPIC ISLAND HUM - single from the movie ‘Tropic Island Hum’ (9/20/04); recorded 11/17/95

Paulwalrus and Victor46542 like this.
  2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Huh? There wouldn't be any links at this point for a release (apparently) that far in the future.

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

This one matches the UPC
    Amazon Global Product Price Check

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I love Flaming Pie
    This will be awesome
    :):):)In

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

??????????

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Meh.

RAJ717 likes this.
  7. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Fantastic news. I love Flaming Pie. Such a cool project that embraced Beatles roots, and a hugely emotional time in Paul's life. Video-wise, I imagine we'll get the In the World Tonight video special (I loved the hilarious bits joking around in the studio ). And doubtful, but it would be cool if they included the long Oprah interview show and the John Fugelsang interview at Bishop's Gate.

8. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I had kind of lost interest in McCartney after the early 80s, but loved The World Tonight when I first heard it and bought it as a single. (I think it was an EP CD... can't remember for sure now.)

A few years back I decided I should grab most of the stuff I missed and Flaming Pie was a standout. So I've gone from not caring at all about a deluxe set like this to “all in”. (Still wouldn’t mind seeing London Town and Back To The Egg this year, though.)

Rickchick, Bill and Phil_Lip like this.
  9. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

So he is a big fan of all the albums that got archive treatment so far...

I don't think that's the reason why he started the series.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

After the Wings heydays, the next album that I connect most with is Flaming Pie and I haven’t heard any of the potential extras being talked about here. So bring it on, I am IN!

11. tug_of_war

You did:

12. tug_of_war

Now let me understand one thing: where did we get the news from?
    I searched the other thread and everything I've found were links for empty Amazon pages that don't even have the "McCartney" name written anywhere.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. tug_of_war

The fact is they will get Archive treatment regardless of their sales figures and MacCa's opinion about them.
    If "Wild Life" and "McCartney II" did, then every album will.

Sean, jmxw, Lewisboogie and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Maybe we're getting the entire Oobu Joobu series? How many of those would fit per CD? CD 1 album, CD 2 b sides outtakes. CD 3-5 Oobu Joobu.
    I have the entire series on one data disc DVD. Perhaps we may get them that way? ....or not at all. Just throwing it out there.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

How do you know this?

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's kind of what I think fear. I'm all for hearing every outtake Paul will share with us, but I really disliked the too-cutesy Oobu shows, with fragments instead of complete songs, and that annoying jingle (over)used throughout. With our luck, we'll probably get a full cd (80 mins worth) of that damned Oobu jingle...

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is what I was thinking as well. Oobu Joobu is very tied to Flaming Pie. BUT, would @maccawings be as excited as he is if one or two full discs were full of Oobu Joobu episodes? Anyways, fingers crossed.

Wiserforthetime likes this.
  18. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The actual radio series featured 19 one-hour shows. They ain't being released over 4 bonus CDs. They were boiled down to six edits of around 7 minutes each, which would definitely fit on a single CD.

19. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Anyone who's reading this more than likely believes that there is a market for just about everything that Sir Paul has released to receive the archive deluxe treatment. I think that the LT and BTTE deluxe's will be released, eventually. It may not be this year though.

Sean and tug_of_war like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That makes me feel better.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  21. Calico

Calico Senior Member

You could add "A Room With A View" and "Kansas City" (both recorded in 1997) as well as "Bishopsgate"...

22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

No.

I have copies of the entire series on disc and it would take way more than 7 discs to fit the complete set on CDs [even with all the ads removed]. Going from memory, it was a 1 hour show that ran for 15 weeks with double episodes for the 1st and last, so you're looking at 17 times about 42 - 43 minutes... that comes out to about 714 - 731 minutes or 9 - 10 discs at the minimum...

MPLRecords likes this.
  23. Wiserforthetime

I would personally rather have some unreleased stuff and more of a flaming pie box than an Oobu box. But I can't say I'd complain if he slipped in a Blu-ray audio full of Oobu

theMess, Who Cares and jmxw like this.
  24. Wiserforthetime

Yes not on CD. But data disc files on DVD or blu. I have them that way.

25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, they theoretically could throw them on a Bluray... although that seems like a pretty radical move for MPL at this point. [The exact opposite of what happened on Flowers Archive!]

But now that I think about it, there could be licensing issues there, too, since not all the musical material was McCartney... I suppose they could edit other artists out, but then we would get a jumbled mish-mash [more than the originals were] and we could cry "foul" as they are not complete...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020