Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I still think this is his best beginning-to-end album.

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wogew reported it based on an internal memo from Universal

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

It's time to transition to Blu-Ray's.

4. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Agreed; it's really silly that DVD's are still being put in these releases. I mean what the hell. If you've got the money to spend on deluxe music reissues like this, then you sure as hell have the money to upgrade your freaking optical disc player to something that became the new standard many years ago.

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I don't think Paul will include the Oprah interview, first copyright issues and second, not really focused on the Flaming Pie album.

On the other hand McCartney’s Town Hall Meeting was part of the promotion and probably MPL has the copyright of the TV event and the internet questions after the show. The links were active on the official homepage at the time...

jlf likes this.
  6. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Generally, I agree. Yet I’ve encountered far more issues with faulty Blu-Rays than I have DVDs. So there’s that little part of me that likes when I get both even though I know it costs more. Yeah, I shouldn’t have to pay more for “insurance”, but that’s how I’m choosing to look at it since I don’t often have a choice with these packages.

I have no hard evidence, beyond personal experience and seeing what people have said about some releases (like Pink Floyd and the Beatles) that have issues, but I do sometimes wonder what’s going on with Blu-Ray production that makes it appear to me that they’re more susceptible to problems.

7. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Got news for tou---DVD is STILL the #1 format in sales; Both are surpassed by streaming(Netflix, etc).

RocksOff87, 905 and Sean like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wrong. Disc 5 is Paul covering John's Nutopian National Anthem and making a 1 hour long jam out of it.

9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I'm referring to quality not sales. I'm not sure what streaming has to do with this upcoming box set.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  10. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

As I stated on the original thread, and with Maccawings confirming legal issues holding up LT/BTTE, then I speculate this could push up a Press to Play Archive box set...……….

Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Makes sense he’s releasing a solo archive, one of his “babies”, just like Tug Of War is.

They released a huge box 13 months ago, they will have a big box next year for LT and BTTE.

tug_of_war likes this.
  12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

My understanding was that, quite some time ago, Laurence Juber had talked about participating in interviews for the BTTE archive.

Wingsfan2012 and tug_of_war like this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

14. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

About the dvd: let’s hope they include the MPL “rooftop performance” of Young Boy!!!

15. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I’m just still happy we’re getting Archive Collection releases almost a decade later!!

I know many hoped the series would be over and done by now - but I do enjoy the almost annual speculation, debates, discussion and reviews we partake even - even if life has gotten in the way for me recently.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes, he specifically told me that in person. :) I'm not sure the audio has been done. I bet it hasn't. I posted about why I thought it wasn't earlier in this thread from a few days ago.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  17. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Oh cool, so I guess I heard it from you.
    Well...the Pure McCartney tracks from LT/BTTE were remastered, so there's that. :shrug:

Sean, Oyster Boy and supermd like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah. I think of how Steve masters compilations, which, admittedly, can be different than how others remaster/assemble comps, but Steve will only remaster what's going on there, not all the albums whose songs appear on the comp. Then again, Paul's catalog undergoing a catalog-wide remaster is a different entity than a one-time remaster job from Steve.

Darrin L. likes this.
  19. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Thank you for this tread. So exciting! First day buyer here.

AppleCorp3, Sean and Elliottmarx like this.
  20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

In regards to adding the Oobu Joobu tracks as a bonus on Flaming Pie . . .

While it my make some sense because they were single b-sides, the tracks we're pretty much all recorded in 1987 I think. So shouldn't these be used to beef up Press To Play?

That might make chronological sense but consider this: it would be a bold move to flush out FP with these '87 tracks because then Press To Play is going to be wide open with space and even more in depth with actual P2P session material. I believe you could easily do 4 P2P cd's: album disc, early versions/demos disc, 2 discs of alternate released versions.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I would think Paul's Montserrat benefit appearance probably should be on this set too? RDR will already be chock full of it's own tv appearances.

Can we start compiling a list of known outtakes, extras and alternates from the FP sessions on this thread? Who has a good list?

21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a start
    The Paul McCartney project

22. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I don't recall Kansas City. A studio version?

mrjinks likes this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Yup. Just Paul on acoustic, done for a Leiber/Stoller tribute album but never released. It's somewhere in here

24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks - never knew about that one!

25. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

There is some difference in mixing of the tracks, so I wouldn't put it past MPL to include the b-side versions here in Flaming Pie and then put some of the original mixes in with Press To Play.

Press To Play:
    1. Stranglehold • Good Time Coming/Feel The Sun • Talk More Talk • Footprints • Only Love Remains • Press • Pretty Little Head • Move Over Busker • Angry • However Absurd • Write Away • It's Not True • Tough On A Tightrope
    2. Press (original mix) • Pretty Little Head (7" mix) • Good Times C0ming/Feel The Sun (full version) • Simple As That • Once Upon A Long Ago (long version) • Return To Pepperland • Yvonne's The One • It's Not True (7" mix) • Hanglide • Angry (remix) • Spies Like Us • Only Love Remains (single version)
    3. Pretty Little Head (12" mix) • Press (dub mix) • Big Day • Christian Pop • Spies Like Us (part mix) • Atlantic Ocean (early version) • Spies Like Us (alternate mix – also called "Tom") • Once Upon A Long Ago (extended mix) • Seaside Woman (12" remix) • Peacocks • My Carnival (party mix) • Tough On A Tightrope (full version) • Only Love Remains (live performance)
    4. The Paul McCartney Special • Rupert advert for All the Best! • Spies Like Us music video • Press music video • Pretty Little Head music video • Stranglehold music video • Only Love Remains music video • Once Upon A Long Ago clifftop version music video • Once Upon A Long Ago kids audience music video • All The Best! icons music video
    It depends on who owns the footage. Honestly, I was surprised that Paul hasn't included BBC performances, but the rights may still be held by BBC and he'd have to negotiate for them.
    If you look at the Archive series so far, the only non-MPL-generated films are from Unplugged (though the deal may be with MTV that he owns it because MPL released the CD), Wings Over The World (which ABC TV likely didn't care about by this point) and James Paul McCartney (which may have gone to Paul as part of a deal with Lew Grade afterwards).

I don't think there is one, which is why the speculation is that one of the five discs isn't Flaming Pie-based, it's actually a project within that same window of 1995-1998.
    And given that he hasn't touched the classical material yet, I sincerely doubt it will be the 1995 Royal Academy opener or Standing Stone which gets considered.

omikron likes this.