Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Maybe the "hook" for the set is different, like: stereo and 5.1 remixes, a new documentary about the making of the album, etc.

Wingsfan2012 and crossroads69 like this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

my only issue...Some of these clever slipcased/sleeved/tied packages make getting to the real reason we buy these things(the music!) a bit cumbersome which only encourages me to separate the material so I don't have to spend five minutes digging into the set every time I want to listen

mrjinks, Lewisboogie and Phil D like this.
  3. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

Damn the loss of those BOTR demo tapes in Lagos. I would love to hear any studio rehearsals or alternate takes from these sessions. There must be rough mixes of some of the tracks or they could create stripped down version like what was done with Double Fantasy.

The Quad Mix could have been included while there was a previously unheard embryonic version of Picasso's Last Words, apparently captured on tape during a visit to Dustin Hoffman's house in 1973. Not sure if the tape has been verified but it was a few years back (maybe 2013) when I heard it. There were other tracks, one of which was an early version of Getting Closer, and versions of Hands of Love and Peggy Sue. There was also a rendition of Bluebird rehearsed in a hotel room (?) in front of a TV camera in Australia in 1975.

I guess you have to clutch at a few straws to try and create a really worthwhile BOTR deluxe set. I do really enjoy the Archive Collection book but the bonus audio disc did not raise the roof apart from the One Hand Clapping versions. Why the OHC was not released in its entirety is still a mystery.

jricc and JeffreyB like this.
  4. bward

bward Senior Member

The “stolen” BOTR demos would get me to buy the whole thing again.

I suspect there are copies of those somewhere just waiting to be “discovered.”

Added to BOTR could be a sessions disc.

Picasso and BOTR were building block songs. It would be interesting to hear the band tackle say, the middle “If I ever get out of here” section. Did they jam it? Is it longer?

I don’t know about you, but I’d love to see Paul’s notes on the creation of the songs. I don’t really need to hear more about Nigeria.

I would love to know when the songs were written, the inspiration,etc.

Between Ram and RRS, Paul had an ocean of fresh material. At the time of BOTR, lots of it was still unreleased. How was it that none of the BOTR material was funnelled into another album?

And how was it that leftover material was (thankfully) left in the vaults?

The only hint of the new Direction was Bluebird showing up in the JPM TV special.
    Were any of the new BOTR songs tried out on the Wings 73 tour?

It really is a minor miracle that BOTR (the album) was left alone as its own thing, and it turned out to be one of the most iconic albums of the early 70s and his solo career.

So, there is a real BOTR story to be told.

Add in some recreated passports and memorabilia from the back cover, maybe a lump of Ginger Baker coal, a poster or two, a Linda folio and we have ourselves a new and expensive BOTR Edition.

jricc, Eska68, DocShipe and 2 others like this.
  5. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

To me it's an incentive. If I am in the mood to listen to, say, RAM, I am glad I have the big box with that great graphic material to go through before and while I listen to the music.

supermd, Sargon, JLPMacca and 3 others like this.
  6. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

The REAL story of Band on the Run has never been told and probably will never be. Over the years McCartney has said a number of lies about it - he likes to add mystery to his things - starting from the stolen demos, of which he said he was forced to remember the songs from scratch, which is simply not true. The demo cassette was stolen after 2 weeks (out of 3 of recordings). I assume at that point they have already recorded quite a few of the 7 songs and a half they put on tape there.
    Not talking about the two members not getting there (at the last moment? Not really.. McCullough left while they were rehearsing in Scotland, and Seiwell not wanting to go to Africa... the trip was planned way ahead...
    ) Fela Kuti thing and Ginger Baker’s involvement/political issues with EMI.

Sean Murdock, omikron, Yorick and 6 others like this.
  7. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Do people really frame folded posters like this? I find them utterly pointless.

8. jpgrbtalls

jpgrbtalls Forum Resident

Sounds like a story about a U2 album. There were stories in the lead up to the work being done for Achtung Baby that related to tapes escaping and coming out as bootlegs.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. bward

bward Senior Member

I was tempted to frame the Kite poster in the Pepper Deluxe box.

In the end, I just left it in the box...

That item seems too nice to leave packed away

JamesD1957 likes this.
  10. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

The permanent creases make them look rubbish though. Just tat.

omikron likes this.
  11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It would just be great if the music was the first thing to reach so you could press play before pawing through the rest of the content

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I framed it. Looks fab. It's only folded once and you don't even notice it now.
    Now some posters I'd love to frame but are folded like 10 times. Useless.

13. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Bite your tongue

Did I ever? likes this.
  14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Folded ones no, but there are some sets where you could frame them (Woodstock posters came separately for instance and I believe that in the forthcoming Stones deluxe they are rolled). It is nice to see some of these posters as some have very nice artwork, but I tend to keep sets intact.

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The one item that’s “a step too far” for me in these boxes is “books” of single videos! The damn video is in the box! I don’t need a full “art book” on Pipes of Peace or This One when I can just watch the clip! :blah:

Sean Murdock, Paul H and dormouse like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I do seem to recall lots of new U2 material available through "unofficial" channels well before "AB" hit!

17. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Same here. Sure would look nice on the wall though.....

18. paustin0816

No need to separate it. I bought one of these years ago off of ebay. Framed it up and shes on my wall. Looks like a fairly common item too. Lots still around. benefit of mt kite | eBay

JamesD1957 likes this.
  19. bward

bward Senior Member

Mazzy likes this.
  20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Found this picture on Twitter:

[​IMG]

21. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Old picture

mrjinks likes this.
  22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

With the success of the recent Beatles sets and general trend of more lavish super deluxe sets, I am sure MPL could go down the route of remixing BOTR for its 50th anniversary and make that a focal point of the reissue.

While the Lagos demos may be lost, the rough mixes done at the end of Lagos sessions will be an interesting listen before production was completed at AIR Studios in London. I am sure there are worthy session outtakes that could be included as well.

Finally, maybe someone could dig up the original One Hand Clapping film tapes and redo it with newly remixes sound. The DVD included on BOTR Archive is of poor bootleg quality with a mono soundtrack.

So there are few things they could do with BOTR. Even if OHC redo seems too wishful, then a 3CD/Blu-ray set like Abbey Road 50 should be possible.

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

See, I get your point to an extent...…….

I am in it mostly for the audio and video content. I had no problem paying a premium price for the "Big Barn Box" and greatly enjoy it to this day...

Otherwise, I had no problem skipping the Egypt Station suitcase or the $600.00 Flaming Pie deluxe box. To me not enough (or any) additional music or video content to justify my purchase.

Now the standard box that people were outraged at for Amazon US and others selling at the list price of $259.99, deals were to be found and I am happy to be one of the ones who is getting it for $100.00 off list price. Deals were to be found if fans looked.

Amazon was my usual "go to" but I will not pay list price for any box set by anyone when better deals were to be found elsewhere.

I don't feel pushed to any "breaking point" or "pressure" to complete my archive collection. I do it because I want to and I feel there is value and deals to be found!

OobuJoobu, jl151080, JeffreyB and 4 others like this.
  24. paustin0816

One Hand Clapping truly deserves so much more. It's a solid gem. I would love to see it get a true restoration. I get the impression that Paul doesn't like to spend on things like this, I think he likes things to be 'warts and all'. He seemed to do a great job on Bruce McMouse that looked better that I had expected it too.

coco77, Paul H, longdist01 and 4 others like this.