Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

I think this is the version with clean intro and ending that previously only was available in lesser quality on unofficial releases.
    As far as I know this won't be on any configuration of the FP box set.

You can download this version on Paul McCartney's official website
    Downloads

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Here you can see hear much damage 80's/early 90's production can do. Interesting shift in productions from early to mid 90's. Imagine this song with the sterile sound and slick show band of the 'Off The Ground' sessions, brrrrr.

256 kbps at the official download section at McCartney's website, so that's good.

From the article:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Based on the tracks I’ve heard so far, this might shape up to be one of the best sounding releases in this series. I can’t wait to get the full album to play.

5. Lovich

Lovich Forum Resident

Yes it's the full version of the demo showed in Oobu Joobu Pt. 5.
    Oobu Joobu is of course available in the box set, the full version of the Demo not.

supermd and Carl80 like this.
  6. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

That sure was a lot of Beautiful Night on first listen. Kind of exhausting. I wish this archive collection gave us some new songs. Even just a couple. Oh well, still looking forward to July 31

Yorick likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Macca had an excellent history of first singles through the pre-"Press" era:

-Uncle Albert: #1 US
    -My Love: #1 US
    -Jet: #7 US (or if you want to consider "Helen Wheels" as the first "BotR" single in the US: #10 US)
    -Listen to What the Man Said: #1 US
    -Silly Love Songs: #1 US
    -With a Little Luck: #1 US
    -Getting Closer: #20 US
    -Coming Up: #1 US
    -Ebony and Ivory: #1 US
    -Say Say Say: #1 US
    -No More Lonely Night: #6 US

11 singles, 10 top 10, 8 #1s! :eek:

Most artists would kill for such "questionable first singles"!

8. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Now we have: Beautiful Night (album version), Beautiful Night (1995 demo), Beautiful Night (1986 demo) and Beautiful Night (run through). Plus, several takes included on In The World Tonight (You're a Bastard parody, orchestration etc).

9. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

True, and don't forget the following, which weren't bad at all:

"My Brave Face" - Flowers In The Dirt
    "Hope Of Deliverance" - Off The Ground
    "Fine Line" - Chaos & Creation In The Backyard
    "My Ever Present Past" - Memory Almost Full
    "New" - New

10. adiba

adiba Forum Resident

Lewisboogie and supermd like this.
  11. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Amazing to see this download precedes the boxed set, something he hasn't done before. And it does say it's an exclusive alteration to the version heard on "Oobu Joobu pt. 5" which is on the set.
    I am wondering if we'll see any more downloads from this set – and, if so, what they may be. (Live performance of "Ballad of the Skeletons"?)

12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Billboard. Cash Box had it at #5.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  13. Brian from Canada

I agree about the history of questionable singles (there are many examples) but not the comments about these particular ones.

First, note that his last lead single from an album was a ballad ("No More Lonely Nights") and he'd been targeted by critics at the time as being overly sappy – the writer of those "Silly Loves Songs." Then compare "Press" to the material that was coming out of other EMI acts, particularly Pet Shop Boys' early pop hits from the year before, and stir in the fact that it sounds the most like a Padgham-produced track and Padgham had a string of number one leads. It made sense to make that track the lead, especially since "Spies Like Us" also did well with a bit of a rocking edge. "Only Love Remains" makes a good follow up to remind people that the traditional McCartney is still there, and made good Royal Variety Show fare. The one that doesn't work in the batch is the middle single since "Pretty Little Head" was a little too far out for traditional McCartney audiences and "Stranglehold" isn't all that great radio fare — an argument could certainly be made that "Footprints" would be just as good, and it would still not help the LP.

Coming out of Anthology, "Young Boy" fits the pop sensibilities of the early Beatles while "The World Tonight" has some hints towards the later Beatles ideas in its lyrics and with the guitar work (put it next to "Something" and you can hear some distant connection). Paul was playing to expectations. Plus, "Beautiful Night" works incredibly as a supporting reminder of the quality of the LP to keep sales up. Where I think Flaming Pie went wrong was twofold: first, it was released during a time when the radio/video stations were all directing themselves to younger acts and Paul didn't fit; and, second, that there was almost too much distance between singles. Honestly, I think the LP would have done much better to be releasing more singles, just as he did with Flowers in the Dirt, but he was obviously distracted by other things. "Young Boy," "The World Tonight," "Little Willow," "Calico Skies" and then "Beautiful Night" would have cemented how strong the material was.

And coming out of Linda's death, there was a clear expectation that Paul would put that into song. Run Devil Run avoided that by showing he could put aside the grief to rock out and still be relevant, but the next LP wasn't going to be so lucky. "From A Lover To A Friend" had the grief but wrapped it in a maturity of songwriting that followed up from Flaming Pie. "Your Loving Flame" sounds too traditional McCartney and would not have been as much a draw to the fact he was still growing as a songwriter. And the rockers, as good as "Lonely Road" and "Driving Rain" were, sound much better live than they do in the studio. What killed the single's chances were the fact he suddenly switched to "Freedom" — a single that was actually stronger for radio airplay despite its cringe-worthy lyrics. It would have been much smarter to stop "From A Lover To A Friend" or recall it immediately for "Freedom" and then release "From A Lover To A Friend" as a single just after the Super Bowl performance so that there'd be a second single to follow up on. Then, when the tour began, to launch "Lonely Road" as a single.

But the last was EMI. And clearly EMI did not have a great track record towards the end in promoting Paul's music — which is why he went to HearMusic.

Wingsfan2012, paustin0816 and jmxw like this.
  14. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Annoyingly someone must have started chopping onions when I got to the end of that extract.

15. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

I've been unsure whether to get this archive set due to the price. I've just moved house and am a musician so my earnings are currently non existent. I have all the other sets and to think I wouldn't get this one has been a really tough thing to accept.

I have just had a thought, it is my birthday next month so i may ask my family to chip in as my present.

My main question is (and I'm sure it has already been mentioned so apologies if it has)... are Zavvi a trusted website in the UK? They seem to have deluxe sets in stock and are slightly cheaper than other sites. Amazon are already out of stock so just exploring my options.

Thanks!!

Yorick likes this.
  16. Brian from Canada

And just to explain further what I mean by questionable singles, I mean things like…
    • Ram technically opened with "Another Day" but the album's first actual single was "Back Seat Of My Car" and that has no immediate hook the way "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" or its European follow up "Eat At Home" did
    • Wild Life chose not to open up with a single, and disappointment in the charts led to "Love Is Strange" being shelved
    • Red Rose Speedway had four singles from the sessions but only one from the actual album(!)… why not a follow-up, especially given all the potential b-sides?
    • Band On The Run found MPL pulling the single because Capitol put "Mammunia" on the b-side instead of a song they thought would make a decent follow up… yet, given the fact the US was right about "Helen Wheels" and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey," why not let them do another single this way, especially when you were planning on a third single in Europe that turned out to be far less stronger a representation of what Wings would do?
    • Speed Of Sound was to launch with "Warm And Beautiful" – and the record company said no. Score one for the record company!
    • Back to the Egg had already previewed "Old Siam Sir" during interviews ahead of release… yet it didn't seem to really have much of a grip on the charts. "Getting Closer" is a bit sharper, but why not go with "Arrow Through Me" as the lead? Granted, it was less punk-sounding that the other two, but the strength of the song is immediately noticeable

17. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes! A thousand times this.

I, for one, am so glad you listened to that feeling Sir Mac... :righton::thumbsup::edthumbs:

mindgames and supermd like this.
  18. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Zavvi are trusted mate, ordered from them in the past with no problems but not an expensive box set like this one, you should be fine but another member posted that's its even cheaper on What Records in the UK and they always get it out for release date.

Rupert_Bear likes this.
  19. Rupert_Bear

Rupert_Bear Forum Resident

That's amazing, thank you so much for the info.

Carl80 likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So your argument was that Macca made questionable choices for 1st singles... except like 95% of his choices? ;)

RAJ717 likes this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Darrin L. likes this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The demo of Beautiful Night is gorgeous. Pauls vocals are mezmerising
    Great stuff

23. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I have said "From A Lover" might be his worst ever "lead off" single and his worst single period......as a die hard fan, I knew that single was DOA...…..

24. Wingsfan2012

Countdown for deliveries to start is 2 weeks from today!

coffeetime and AppleCorp3 like this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

I missed the chain....do we have a free download for the box set yet from the official site?