Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Regarding the Collectors set, does anyone agree this could easily have been a far more manageable L.P. size (like The Kinks VGPS box) by scaling down the art prints folio. There is no reason whatsoever it has to be this big.

2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Can well believe it, there was a time here when the city was quite run down and there probably wasn't much to see before the Cavern got done up again, the band generate quite a lot of money for the city now and i think they know it, there's new beatles things popping up all over the place, statues etc.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Oyster Boy and Paperback Writer like this.
  3. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

It's generally agreed that John's death led to a resurgence of interest in all things Beatle in Liverpool. This is the city after all which bulldozed the Cavern (for a project that never even materialised).

4. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I read or heard somewhere that in the seventies the council there were actively trying to move on from all things Beatle related and that’s also why there was no resistance to the original Cavern being demolished. I didn’t start going until 95 by which time everything had changed. To me now it’s a fantastic city that embraces all elements of its past.

Wingsfan2012, Sargon and OobuJoobu like this.
  5. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Well not quite ALL elements - witness the morons who tried to have Penny Lane re named recently. Fortunately in this instance, sanity prevailed.

theMess, gsmile, supermd and 8 others like this.
  6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

And my first reaction upon hearing that section was that it sounded VERY Eurythmics-ish - perhaps that’s why it got dropped? I quite liked it.

One other bit I liked was the bridge that got dropped from The Song Wr Were Singing. That’s one I hope he repurposes sometime down the line.

7. AppleCorp3

Right - he references “Jeff” (or “Geoff”) a few times in the recording which would only make sense if it was recorded during the sessions after the Anthology.

Yorick, Paulwalrus and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Me too - even if he doesn't want to 'work' on it, he could hand it off to Youth and have him prepare it in some way to be part of a new Fireman release.
    There's already enough there that that actual snippet could be turned into something. He must have hundreds of things at that stage of development laying around.

9. Well, I agree with a lot of that. I think he changed it for the Charity single to make it more compact and fuller- punchier to generate sales, also outside of the context of an album, the rough mix might not have worked as well.
    Also, see the lyrics for the Flaming Pie collection version, below. They are more fitting to individuals linking up than to a more universal message. (Maybe, LOL)

The narrator in this version sounds like the Guy in Egypt Station who sang “Come On To Me”.LOL

Anyway, different people may have a different preference for which version they prefer, and at different times. That’s a Great problem to have, 2 terrific versions of a great , great song.

10. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

For me, the audio glitch is big enough to mention and discuss. Something (even this small) should have been caught. (Not sure what to make of the speed variance).

But none of this, or the discussion of it detracts in anyway from my pure enthusiasm for this awesome release. I have zero problem either way here, and will go with the flow! :) (Mye take.)

Also really like reading about the superior open spacious sound of this release.

Lovin all the post here good people! Very interesting reads. :righton:
    I look forward every morning to making my Moccamaster coffee and sitting down to read the latest "crop" of posts. Not sure which is more savory, the coffee or these posts!

11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Mine was wrapped in plastic.

fspadafora likes this.
  12. AppleCorp3

I’m not as familiar with either version l, but what you’re saying makes a lot of sense. I wonder how much Dave Stewart was involved with this version and maybe that was it - word smithing and editing (something McCartney hasn’t always been good at!).

Makes you wonder what else is in the vaults from the modern era...

supermd, Eska68 and Paperback Writer like this.
  13. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Picked up the 2LP from my local while I wait for the deluxe. Both LPs have slight edge warps and there’s some nonfill during the last couple seconds of the side D. Pretty disappointing given the cost.

Batman21 likes this.
  14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

These Archive boxes really do their job, they really let you reassess these albums. Most I loved already, but albums like McCartney II, Flowers In The Dirt and Flaming Pie, the wealth of bonus tracks, sound quality and the wonderful booklets and extras really make you appreciate the albums.
    I've been listening to this box and looking through the set all weekend it seems, as this feels like a new McCartney album to me in a way. It has been a year since I last gave this album a play, maybe longer. As I said earlier, this Archive release has so much life to it! I'll stop gushing now, but I hope everyone is enjoying the set as much as I am. :righton:

15. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

The only argument I've read against leaving shrink on lps is that they can cause the covers to warp/bend. I get this, but I've never had this problem with thousands of lps.

I always keep the shrink on my albums and even box sets when possible. If the opening is thicker than a normal lp, I cut a seam around the opening edges and pull this away.
    The initial cuts are easy because the shrink is tight. You gotta hold it in place to cut away the remaining edges.

My Beatles singles, Abbey Road, huge Lennon Time-Capsule & Anthology box sets, Dark Horse Years box, etc. all have shrink wrap with any hype stickers intact.

If the album is a gatefold, I tend not to remove the shrink on these either. I use youtube to view what's inside. After all, how many times is one going to look at the inside of a gatefold cover?
    In this way, everything stays shinny, protected and retains that characteristic "brand new" look that only an album with shrink can have. Part of my collection opened, but it all looks sealed.

My 3 lp opened Flaming Pie will have that cool obi strip under the shrink for as long as I own the album - no matter how many times I pull this out and give it a spin.

Then in my OCD manner, I put a Sleevie-Wonder or a ClearBag over this to protect the shrink.
    Just need to find something to protect the Sleevie-Wonder clear bag and then something to protect the thing protecting the Sleevie bag! :crazy: (Sargon need to go see a Shrink & get all better!)

I blame my Beatles -"Bestie" for this. When I started, I couldn't wait to tear the shrink off of everything in sight . . . until I saw his collection.

omikron, RubenH, EddieMann and 5 others like this.
  16. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I can’t find the flaming pie guitar pick.

17. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Should be somewhere in the envelope with all the facsimiles? Mine was stuck right at the bottom.

marklamb and coffeetime like this.
  18. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Well, I’ll keep searching...but it’s not in the envelope. Refund!!

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. The Kinks box set was a very nicely produced set (around £80) and was as you say a manageable size. The art prints could have been handled as they did with the Woodstock 18 disc set. This came in a box that fitted the contents and the larger art prints were mailed out separately. I am not keen on wasteful packaging for the sake of it such as the suitcase or the collector's edition that really does not justify the huge premium for a few morsels and a large box that is difficult to store. Nice packaging can be done in a more environmentally aware fashion.

Oyster Boy and Paulwalrus like this.
  20. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

You just ate it. It was in the promo-pie that came with your release. Wait about 4-5 hours and all will be good . . . sorta. :faint:

(Keep us updated)!

dbacon likes this.
  21. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The Flaming Pie CD is just concluding as I write. This works quite well I think and collects a lot of the b-sides and such like.

Am now going to settle in for a bit of reading. The next section of the book appears to centre on the Jeff Lynne relationship.

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  22. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I can't read. But I will have fun looking at all the pictures.

supermd, dmh84 and dormouse like this.
  23. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes, mine was in the envelope. But it slipped out unnoticed and went down the side of the chair in which I was sitting. I did recover it a little later! I saw something similar happen on an unboxing video, so check in the area where you opened it. It may have fallen to the floor. It is not in any sort of bag or packaging and is black so is quite difficult to see. Happy hunting. Also check between the folded pages of the documents.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  24. Ralph the Wonder Llama

Ralph the Wonder Llama Forum Resident

Mine was hiding in plain sight under the wrap on the LPs.

omikron and Sargon like this.
  25. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Did a quick run through the comments and still unclear of the consensus on the CD set, either the 2 CD or Boxset, are you guys saying there’s glitches and or speed issues? Which specific discs and where? And does the hi-res download include the same glitches?

Lewisboogie likes this.