Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

So you're telling us it's not new? ;)

Wiserforthetime and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

With regard to all the other tracks on the Brainwashed album, (not the song), I absolutely LOVE it. I feel it is the best thing he has done by far since All Things Must Pass.
    He started and ended his career with some of the best music ever made. "Bookends" albums. There's a few great records in-between too.

Any Road, Pisces Fish, Rising Sun, Stick Inside a Cloud . . . incredible stuff. Somehow with the other songs on this album, I felt like Lynne did a good job honoring George's wishes.

(BACK ON TOPIC):
    With regard to Lynne's "flavor" on Flaming Pie, at this point, I'm avoiding reading these posts. Why? I've haven't noticed Lynne's influence on this album since it came out.
    So I'd rather just continue to listen to the album and hope it doesn't find me rather than me find it! :hide:

(I much prefer it when artists season and flavor their own stuff). :shh:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020

4. The book I referenced upthread states that it was just Martin and Macca at that “92” session at Hog-Hill and Martin considered strings for .....

... Calico Skies - which Macca “rejected”. It featured Paul on acoustic guitar, percussion, knee slaps and vocals. Written during a storm on Long Island.

Great Day -Paul doing same on this song with Linda on backing vocals.
    This song was written in early 1970! He began to work on it further when the lights went out on Long Island, years later in the 90’s. It was earlier a song he’d sing with his family with the kids dancing along.

gja586, Yorick, theMess and 3 others like this.
  5. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

oh yeah, since two or 3 years ago that version is there, Dance Tonight I think is there as well

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yep, and nicely uncompressed. It sounds good.

7. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Here's a low quality snippet of a mix I did from the 5.1 files that shows what the intro sounds like: TWT-Father's Day.mp3

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yet, a few years after Flaming Pie came out, this soundtrack song of Buddy Holly's "Maybe Baby" is WAY TOO MUCH Jeff Lynne-production for me. I guess that Paul forgot to reign in Jeff for this song:

905, Rob Hughes, Ryan Lux and 4 others like this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm curious though, don't you feel the quote I provided is a pretty accurate description of the song Brainwashed? And that's years before Lynne got his hands on it, so maybe Jeff didn't manipulate it that much...

To stay on topic, I'm certainly glad Lynne entered the Fabs' orbit. His work with George, the Wilburys, Paul and - let's not forget - Ringo was mostly pretty excellent. Ritchie's "Don't Go Where The Road Don't Go" is one of his post-Apple highlights for me.

905, gottafeelin, theMess and 4 others like this.
  10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Wow. Sorry.

jricc likes this.
  11. londonsummer

londonsummer Well-Known Member

Looks like the deluxe box and 3lp set are sold out on McCARTNEY website.

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I made my own edits a few years ago by tacking the full fades and clean intros from the available bootlegs onto the official material. It worked out very well except for two tracks: Love Mix required some cutting and pasting to get the intro right and Atlantic Ocean is, well, a mess quite frankly. The bootlegged mix is vastly different to the released one and my attempted edit really doesn't work well.

adiba and supermd like this.
  13. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I opened my deluxe box today, and although I haven’t played any of it yet, it is an extremely nice package and presentation. Again, only one small complaint, and I’ve noticed this on other deluxe McCartney boxes: the info sheet that is between the cellophane and the actual box does not fit inside the box. I want to save that as it’s great and is part of the whole deal, but I’d have to trim it to get it to fit inside.

Jayseph, BZync and Beatles Fan 4 Life like this.
  14. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

The Fedex tracking number is also a USPS tracking number.

Supposed to be delivered by USPS in the end If the Fedex truck is delivering near you on the day, they will put it on the FEDex truck fro delivery.

Enter the tracking number in the USPS website to see if they have it.

bward likes this.
  15. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I spotted this album cover outtake on Paul's Instagram story today:
    [​IMG]
    Is this in one of the books included with the box?

16. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Great points as usual @mrjinks.

Final thot on this - (I promise). It's just that you got me thinking. (A good rare thing for Sargon). One of the many things I love about these posts.

I thought back about that Brainwashed song after reading your remarks. It IS a good song. I think what has stuck in my head as over the top is the huge God, God, God chorus.
    The vocals-voices (the words themselves arent' my problem) ,and huge booming (bombastic-I called it) wall of sound at this point in the song was aways a bit "jarring" for me.

I felt George on this album, like his others, had a different way of conveying a powerful point in his music, that still retained a certain unmistakable Harrison - gentle, masterful, finesse.
    Because it is the final song on the album, this treatment emotionally pulls me in a different direction at the very end of the record.

Thank you for your patience people. Now back to all things Flaming!

jricc and mrjinks like this.
  17. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

For the sets where it doesn't fit, I just slide it in behind the box in a large plastic sleeve.

EddieMann likes this.
  18. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Whilst it won't fit inside the box, it just about fits sat on top of the rim around the top, held in by the lid of the box itself. It's a tight fit but it just about works as long as you're careful closing the lid to 'trap' it.

EddieMann likes this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

:agree:

BuCo likes this.
  20. Speaking of Lynne and McCartney, watch Macca go wild during an ELO performance, while , perhaps thinking of someone from his not too distance past. Clue: The song title. Macca’s part is 50 seconds in....LOL

21. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I'd say it describes it perfectly. I also think his work with all the Beatles was more good than bad.

Tord, theMess, Lewisboogie and 3 others like this.
  22. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I believe this is basis for the cover which was the processed using some “Polaroid transfer” thing Linda was into. (EDIT: It is a slightly different picture)

The picture on the wall in the back provided the inspiration for the CD label!

ptijerm, dmh84, colindpratt and 3 others like this.
  23. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

I didn't realize the Deluxe came with a pick until others discussed finding them or not finding them. I didn't see one when I first opened it. But as soon as I read comments saying it was in one of the envelopes, I began searching the floor in the room where I unboxed. My aging eyes finally spotted it this morning, nicely disguised in a patch of black on my Persian rug!

BZync, ccbarr, jrdiandrea and 5 others like this.
  24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, surprise, surprise! UDiscover’s 3LP set arrived today. Importcds “shipped” earlier but, five days after that deluxe box shipped, the USPS is still “awaiting item.”
    I so love media mail.

25. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Did you receive a shipping notice from uDiscover or did the package just show up?