Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. omikron likes this.
  2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yes, and my Deluxe edition came with one also. They seemed to have tossed it into the envelope so people need to be cautious when going through everything!

JDeanB and Paperback Writer like this.
  3. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

My Importcds set just got here. Early! Superbly packaged couldn't ask for better service I've always had good luck with that company. Unfortunately I can't listen to the box until tomorrow but it looks so fantastic. My number is around 4696 or so. I'm guessing that there's only five thousand of these deluxe sets made?

4. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

For me it just about fits across the top of the ‘tray’.

ccbarr, coffeetime and EddieMann like this.
  5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Down up front! :realmad:

6. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

At least eight thousand:
    Who's got the highest number so far?

7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

FedEx just delivered my collector’s edition. Totally jaw dropping. I thought the Big Barn Box was impressive. This beats it by a country (hams) mile. Beautiful and emotional.

jrdiandrea, Lesbeat, omikron and 4 others like this.
  8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Received shipping notification Thursday (one day after importcds). This was for an order placed July 4, fwiw.

JamesD1957 likes this.
  9. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Poor guy. Can't even enjoy a dance to a old favorite song. They even made a gif outta him. [​IMG]

10. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I haven't gotten to the DVDs yet. Can someone who has watched them answer this?

There are screen caps of studio video footage of Jeff Lynne and Paul found in the deluxe set book (and also some bits of this footage have been released via Paul's social media).

In the book, the caption says this footage is from the "In The World Tonight" documentary, but it actually isn't (or at least, not any version I've seen, and I've seen both the broadcast VH1 edit and the full length DVD/VHS version).

Is this footage on the new deluxe set DVDs? Is the version of the "In the World Tonight" doc different from past versions?

The only Lynne footage in the original doc back in 1997 were a couple of very brief shots during "Beautiful Night" sessions. But this new footage is different. Jeff playing a red Music Man guitar, Paul playing Jeff's Oberheim in the control room, and some shots of Paul and Jeff recording vocals, etc.

Wingspan and theMess like this.
  11. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I was looking for it and didn't see it on either disc! In The World Tonight is still the same.

Wingspan and theMess like this.
  12. Thrillington

Always wondered why he sits down like that - surely he knew the camera was there? Is it out of embarrassment or had the guests behind complained they couldn’t see? I certainly wouldn’t complain if my view of a show was blocked by a dancing Beatle!

13. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

Don't know if this is the highest anyone has posted, but my number has to be close: 9472!
    In contrast, when I purchased the deluxe "Red Rose Speedway," my number was in the 200's.

omikron, Oyster Boy and MPLRecords like this.
  14. Thrillington

You’re looking in the wrong place! The footage is actually found inside the Egypt Station suitcase.

Which funnily enough is name-dropped in the book. Still trying to flog it!

15. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I understand ordering early should be rewarded, but when I ordered, it said expected to ship on 7/31. Said nothing about first come first served. I just want to make sure I'm able to get a copy of my 2 LP set.

16. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Ugh. I've always thought it was odd that Lynne is never even mentioned in the documentary, and only shown for a total of maybe five seconds.

Now Jeff Lynne's name is plastered all over this thing. His name is on the back cover of the box, he's interviewed for the book, etc.

I've heard some inside stories about Paul working with Jeff (e.g. the reason Paul sought out Jeff, the dynamic of their work, and why save that one Buddy Holly cover, he's never worked with Jeff again). The book and its comments from Paul about Jeff seem to very subtley convey Paul's slightly weird attitude towards Jeff. He seems happy to praise Jeff and the work they did. But he always has seemed a bit wary.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I wondered if he noticed a camera change direction towards him and if he didn’t want to take attention away from Jeff ?

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I just folded it in half because, really, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Oyster Boy, ConnieGuitar and Jack like this.
  19. Little Willow

Little Willow Forum Resident

I answered about 2 days ago:

20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I just toss them. Why bother?

Oyster Boy and supermd like this.
  21. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Are you talking about the deluxe or the Collector's. I assume deluxe because Amazon doesn't have the Collector's edition.
    But .... then aye don't have a pick in my deluxe box.

What gives?

22. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Same thing happened to me. You must also had gotten (Maura):blah: on the phone. She INSISTED on a return/replacement as the only alternative until I called back and got (Jade):love: on the phone. Some people working for Amazon don't even know their own policies!

You guys pullin my leg?:confused: Where in the deluxe box is that guitar pick supposed to be hiding?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That is also an acceptable response haha. I used to want to save them, as best as I could. Then, I realized I never ever go back and look at the ones I have saved, and they're completely pointless. I just folded this one in half and threw it in in the process of sorting everything out. I was planning on tossing it later.

24. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I have them all carefully placed in a large magazine comic book type clear bag with a white cardboard backing. My hype stickers and download cards are resting in a little wooden box. The fun things of collecting and collections . . . organizing, labeling, cataloging, protecting, storing, and displaying. A place for everything . . . . except my ex-wife.

I even save the shipping boxes IF they are from box sets or if they are indestructible pricy looking custom record shipping boxes. Who wants to try and find and pay for these? (Sometimes I pretend that I might sell off some of my stuff someday. It's what I tell myself to justify buying all this stuff! But I'm not fooling anyone but myself.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  25. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

That’s where I put it.

omikron likes this.