Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

:help::crazy:

Dr. Pepper and Choba b CCCP like this.
  2. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I got the Collector's Edition from uDiscover yesterday and there was not an outside box. And, yes, it did take some hits.

longdist01 and colindpratt like this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I do not believe so, I think we’re still too far out to start one personally.

Lovich and longdist01 like this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

[​IMG]

My archive collection

5. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

To each their own.
    I find his pre-Lord of the Rings films to be cheaply made, on the level of a direct-to-video film.

As someone who watches a lot of movies, I found Lord of the Rings are a decent trilogy but only the second is a real film: the story chops off arbitrarily for the first, and the third doesn't seem to click at the end.
    However, as someone who's read the books, I didn't like the fact he ignored Smeagol's reverse transformation and the impact on the Hobbits themselves.

The Hobbit trilogy and King Kong both evidence that Jackson as a director is overly indulgent. When you can tell all of King Kong in half the time, why remake it at double the length?
    The Hobbit has a very workable animated version that's less than the time of one of the three films… so why do we have to suffer for 6+ hours more that isn't all that exciting?

And none of the actors' performances are really moved above and beyond what they normally do, so there's no real push as a director for storytelling either.
    Hence my opinion that Jackson isn't a good director. But, to each their own.
    I have coworkers who swear on a stack of Bibles that The Lord of the Rings is the greatest trilogy of films made over the last thirty years and will argue that it's maybe the best trilogy of all time (with Star Wars being the only competitor).

6. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Oh, my mistake: I meant to type in the one *you like best. :uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh:

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  7. Macca75

Macca75 Forum Resident

Am I dreaming or did you get 2 copies of Flaming Pie? I'd be happy just to receive my one copy... It does look really good!

longdist01 likes this.
  8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Admit it! You left Wings Over America upside down just to mess with OCD members! :D

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It was said there were 25 tracks recorded for Driving Rain. I’ve posted multiple times about the named songs that were left off (“Washington”, etc.). Just too lazy to search my posting history to find the (sourced) quotes...

Edit: ah, what the hell:
    Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 2)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Every time you outline a Broadstreet Deluxe Edition, I know it’ll never happen...but it doesn’t mean I want you to stop talking about it! :righton:

longdist01 likes this.
  11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

... and why Speed Of Sound comes after Wing Over America... :magoo:

12. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

It may not happen like that, but I think it will — Paul has never shied away from the album, put its single up front in each of his compilations since, and made sure that Broad Street was part of the main wave of remasters in 1993 and iTunes offerings in 2007.
    Wings Over America didn't even get that treatment in the past!

What I really suspect with the Archives is that the went through the catalogue and cherry picked the biggest successes: McCartney is a perennial seller as the album that broke up The Beatles, Ram is the centrepiece of the 'feud' with John that leads to interest there, Band on the Run through Wings Over America are the peak of the Wings era, McCartney II is the companion piece to McCartney, Tug Of War is the big album afterwards and Pipes Of Peace is the companion part, Flowers in the Dirt saw the return to touring and form, and Flaming Pie is the last album with Linda and the one that started the regular accolades. Up until Flowers were on the 'common soon' cards included in the sets, and it was said in these forums that Flaming Pie had already been worked on before the question arose as to where the series should go next.

Management, during the Flowers re-release, did say they were talking to Paul about future sets… which means it's likely management was interested in filling the holes. It may also may very well be that MPL switched to Capitol because the latter was willing to continue the series while HearMusic was not – most super deluxe series waffle out after a while in favour of different approaches – and that's what Paul alludes to with the 'comprehensive plan' text of the announcement. Capitol sees value in these sets, and not just for Paul either, as we've seen Sgt. Pepper through Let it Be get the treatment (yes, the last isn't out but it's confirmed by everyone that something is in the works) while Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are super deluxed, and everyone is clamouring for All Things Must Pass as well.

So they start with the first gap, which is Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway. MPL goes overboard with the bonus tracks because the last release was chock full of them, and – for the first time – they add the rare limited edition which sells out quickly. There's definitely an audience still for this material. But then London Town and Back To The Egg run into a roadblock and need to be delayed; Flaming Pie is pulled out and a limited edition unit cobbled together for that, which is what we have now. All indications are that London Town and Back to the Egg are still on deck for next release, and with the large delay between the last release and this one, there's no need to rush if they want to do it right.

But then what happens next? Where do you go from the Wings era? The solution has to be to finish off the 1980s, and it's not hard to see the fan base would really like to see Press to Play given the treatment. After that, you're left with the Russian album and Broad Street, with the move into live albums at the end of the decades and Off the Ground being the other options. Choose the titles and how they are paired up: if they do the studio albums, and pair up the soundtrack and covers LP, plus you do the bigger live album, that leaves Paul Is Live and Unplugged together before you have to go past Flaming Pie into the era where there's less remastering required and more collection of tracks/photos.

That's the logical progression, with Paul being able to make changes here and there along the way as his whim fancies him. But there is a logic to what may happen in the future.

13. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

1970s Ram
    1980s Tug of War
    1990s Flaming Pie
    2009s Electric Arguments
    2010s NEW

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

:laughup:

jmxw and edenofflowers like this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

yes, you are observant, I was gifted a 2nd copy!

Lewisboogie and Macca75 like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I think it was a negative reaction to the metal Electric Arguments box set. Strange magnetic properties

edenofflowers and jmxw like this.
  17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, Covid boredom in overdrive. I made an “All the Rest” bonus tracks into the official 2 Disk set giving me an easy, CD rack complete set

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

1970s Back to the Egg
    1980s McCartney II
    1990s Off the Ground
    2000s Memory Almost Full
    2010s New

19. beatlefan99

beatlefan99 Forum Resident

How is this poll connected to Flaming Pie thread?

20. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

Does it include a Cello In Ruins ?

jmxw likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

When the uDiscover store failed to send my order on time, I sent them a message that automatically became a chat, with a link that can be used to keep track of what was said by both parties.

They were supposed to provide a reply, but they closed the conversation and marked it as "solved" without saying a single word. I have proof of that thanks to the link they provided.

I have just opened a follow-up conversation (linked to the previous one) mentioning what they did and requesting an explanation. I have also repeated my original questions that remain unanswered.

JeffreyB, susyredstripe and omikron like this.
  22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Got a shipping notification yesterday for the 2LP. Supposed to arrive Monday, so I guess it will be sitting in a blistering hot truck all weekend.

[​IMG]

I'm already mentally prepared to return it.

Talmi K, jmxw, vinylbeat and 2 others like this.
  23. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

Tug of War is back to front. OMG my OCD has gone into overdrive!

omikron likes this.
  24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

That big thing on the left ruins it ....

25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

You guys would love my house, I dig random organization tactics. Clean chaos rules!