Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I almost agree with my fellow canine-lover.

Only exception? "Ram" instead of "BttE" - though "BttE" is a fave, too!

Dr. Dog and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Track list please.

3. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

Because it's the opposite.

4. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Come on, Big Pie Boxie, baby let’s eat at home!
    [​IMG]

5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Not for me!

edenofflowers, adm62 and Jack like this.
  6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

One of many good thing about the deluxe-edition is that at least I find the demos, outtakes and rough mixes very listenable. Thats not always the case with stuff like this but Paul seems to out a lot into even recordings like this. Something telld me that I in the Future will spend as much time with the home-recordings and rough mixes than with the proper album.
    The alternate version of Heaven on a Sunday is a current favourite. Always liked this song that in this bare and trippy version makes for an entirely different listening-experience
    I feel confident that I in the future will go to the alternate Flaming Pie just as much as the original album.
    That’s the best verdict I can give to a box set. The fact that all the other content is first-class to make this set a very special one

7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Sure

01. If You Wanna (Demo)
    02. Beautiful Night (1986 Version)
    03. Somedays (w/o orchestra)
    04. Broomstick (Instrumental)
    05. Calico Skies (Campfire )
    06. Flaming Pie (EPK DVD)
    07. The Song We Were Singing (Rough Mix)
    08. The World Tonight (Rough Mix)
    09. Little Willow (Rough Mix)
    10. Ballad of Skeletons
    11. Somedays (Early Mix)
    12. Beautiful Night (You’re a Bastard w/Ringo)
    13. Great Day (Instrumental)

8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Latest reply from Udiscover is below. I responded to this latest email asking what is the delay. people who have ordered weeks after me have received their order.

"Chris (uDiscover Music)

Aug 7, 2020, 10:41 AM EDT

Hi Gary,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you about this! It appears that the Flaming Pie items are experiencing some sort of delay. I'm working with our store lead to find out if we can provide an updated timeline to you as soon as possible!

We're working on finding this information right now and we'll be back as soon as possible with an update.

Feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you for your patience and support,
    Chris + uMusic Customer Care"

9. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

My Deluxe edition is apparently out for delivery & scheduled to be delivered by end of day.

ccbarr, omikron and kevintee like this.
  10. This midday, when I returned home, I found myself facing the megalith of 2001 The Space Odyssey.
    Ah no, in the end, it was just a giant Flaming Pie, meticulously wrapped in black plastic.

This edition is very beautiful, nothing to do with the suitcase which is rather cheap despite its price and size.
    I haven't watched everything yet, I haven't listened to anything.
    I don't think the content disappoints me.

But the size of the thing makes it really impractical. I would have liked part of the container to have the shape and format of the other volumes in the collection, in order to be able to store it, but also to handle it easily. This was the case for the super deluxe of Tug of War, but also for Wings over Europe.

In addition, the "simply deluxe" version seems to be already sold out and it will not be easy to find one on sale. I would just need the empty box, in fact, to store the books and CDs with the others (and leave aside the lot of LPs and art editions).

This is called complaining of ease, of course ...

Another thing maddens me: at this rate, I will have to rent a garage to house my collection! Mind you, considering the price, I could live in the garage next door.

11. colindpratt

colindpratt Forum Resident

curious, where did you order from? my CE from uDiscover wasn't afforded the black plastic treatment.

12. Captain Paul

Captain Paul Forum Resident

I think the individual Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway sets were way overpriced as well. You can get John Lennon’s Imagine box for $100 less than the Red Rose Speedway box and $50 less than the Wild Life box.

Lewisboogie and Tord like this.

13. I am in France and I bought the box on the official website of Paul McCartney.

colindpratt likes this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Cool name for a cat

15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Paul McCartney’s ‘Little Willow’ music video directed by John Schlesinger released in December 1997.

16. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I was really hoping the book would have a nice big image of this magazine ad which I only stumbled upon last year:

[​IMG]

Nevertheless, the behind-the-scenes photos from the making of the "Beautiful Night" promo are terrific.

17. I was premature about my super duper mega cash grab set being delivered yesterday. It said out for delivery by Fedex yesterday morning and then went back to Fedex in the afternoon. Today it apparently got handed off to the USPS??? Oh well.....

18. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

That's almost the same reply as before, except he added "Flaming Pie" to the response. :confused: :shake: :sigh:
    I still haven't heard back from the email I sent Monday the 3rd.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I think I might have a clipping of that actually. Will have to do some digging.

MPLRecords likes this.
  20. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

Just received a VERY similar response. It's clearly not a simple copy-and-paste job though.
    Ordered July 5th
    (sigh)

21. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Update: Canada Post letter carrier was kind enough to buzz downstairs to let me know the package was here for me.
    I raced down, met him (3 metres apart) and he explained that whenever it's a large package, he makes a point of making sure the recipient is home and there to collect it.
    I thanked him for going the extra mile.

Looks like It's Going to Be a Great Day...

22. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Happy One Week Anniversary unsent uDiscover Flaming Pie Box!!

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  23. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The Super Deluxe Edition 'McCartney 10 Years of Archives Reissues' arrived today. Looks like a very nice overview of the series and a perfect excuse to dig back into the whole collection. I'm reading the intro as I spin Band On The Run from the first set. This is a fabulous album. And it sounds great.

Something new to dig into over the weekend although I still have about half of the Flaming Pie book to digest yet.

Thanks Paul Sinclair for the booklet and of course the other Paul for the lifetime of fantastic music.

24. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Ive found that happens when the USPS handles the actual delivery. The timing and delivery date pertain to when FedEx hands it off to the USPS not when it will actually arrive at your doorstep.

It makes no sense and is frustrating as heck. The same thing happened to me on a Criterion Collection order from Barnes and Noble.

Mazzy likes this.
  25. rsinige

rsinige Forum Resident

I've just received the SDE booklet too, a very good read so far. Paul S has rated each archive box set out of 15, here's his results:
    M1 = 7
    R = 13
    WWL = 13
    RRS = 11
    BotR = 9
    VaM = 7
    WatSoS = 6
    M2 = 12
    WoA = 8
    ToW = 9
    PoP = 9
    FitD = 9

Based on presentation, bonus content and original selling price/value. I wonder where FP would come? I have to say I basically agree with his scoring!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Oyster Boy, dormouse and MPLRecords like this.