Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Perhaps this helps illustrate the difference, although it’s pretty hard to capture well...

The ‘97 US (middle) really is much yellower.
    [​IMG]

Carlox, omikron, pro beatles and 3 others like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Same here! :mad:

Lewisboogie and longdist01 like this.
  3. dmh84

dmh84 And babe, it's gonna work out fine

As I was watching "In The World Tonight," I was really struck by the absence of Jeff Lynne. It somehow made me sad.
    Does anyone know why he's so excluded?

4. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

That could also be attributed to age. The record is 23 years old now.

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I noticed this too. It was an interesting omission. Perhaps there is a reason for this but I have no idea what it would be.

Lewisboogie and longdist01 like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Except it’s right next to a ‘97 UK press, and both were bought new...

7. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Just not the focus, I guess.
    Maybe he was shy? Maybe he had some problems? Hard to know.

jacden likes this.
  8. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Just started watching the DVD’s myself. I think it’s a great shame they’ve gone to the expense of remastering some of this (as seen in the music videos on Youtube) but we spend all this money on a boxset to still be stuck in standard definition! It was barely acceptable in 2010, but here we are 10 years later.

Yes I know many will say most archive material is on tape and ‘not hd’ but it still benefits for not being so compressed! Plus for the visual stuff this will be the first and last time some of it appears on physical media.

Plus they could fit everything on one disc.

Either include the video content as part of the download, or include a blu-ray of all the content too.

I also miss the mini documentaries they made for the first 4 releases or so. Especially McCartney and ‘Ramming’. I wish they had continued.

9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I finally dove into the DVD last night and I haven't the time nor patience to go through this thread (which I've been avoiding for the most part), but has anyone mentioned the fact that there's three alternate angles for the TFI performances yet? In addition to the standard performance, you can watch just the drummer (or bassist, or electric guitarist) version of Paul for the performances. Kind of a cool feature, I think. :righton:

10. JOIN THE FLAMING PIE LISTENING PARTY!

The Flaming Pie Listening Party

Friday 14th August at

9am (PT) / 5pm (BST).

[​IMG]
    JOIN THE FLAMING PIE LISTENING PARTY!

[​IMG]
    The Flaming Pie Listening Party

Friday 14th August at

9am (PT) / 5pm (BST).

Fans must have a Spotify Premium or Apple Music account to join the experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    marklamb likes this.
  11. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Where can you view that?

12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I have not been paying too much attention since the release, but did anyone figured out the alternate angles in DVD #2??

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

Look a couple of posts up!

14. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

My copy just got delivered to my house a little bit ago.
    I'm at work for another 2.5 hours though....the suspense to open it up and check it out is killing me!!
    Can't wait to finally look at it all!

Better not be anything damaged or cd's having glue or anything either!

I don't want to have to deal with uDiscover's customer service ever again!

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

ah ok, asleep at the wheel here!

16. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

described somewhere a while ago, at the press release or the internal info, it's superb!!
    TFI Friday is multi angle, you can see the notification at the top of the screen while this chapter starts, you can select : Broadcasted version, Drums, Electric Guitar or Bass for each song (Flaming Pie and Young Boy).
    I've mentioned that this Archive Release has only two unseen video features not available before, one is the Artwork meeting and the other are the Multi Angle views for TFI. Shame about 'Making of Beautiful Night', it's not a making of for the video but for the song and that original EPK runs around 10 minutes and here is edited down to less than 3 minutes, that was disappointing.
    It was very good to see the EPK's in very good quality but also nothing new there.

17. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Got my tracking update with details. It took 13 hours for the package to get from Nashville to Houston. Now it's expected to take 48 hours to get from Houston to Northwest Houston. I wonder if the UPS guy is just going to get some exercise and walk it over to my house...:shrug:

longdist01 and JeffreyB like this.
  18. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Received!
    3 LP set from uDiscover. It was a bit frustrating, but worth the wait for the savings. :agree:

They just emailed me a new coupon code for 25% of any vinyl order.
    But I only have 7 days to use it. Hmmmmm. :wiggle:

19. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

nah its always been that way very consistent with the look of the original cd to. to go yellow like that it would have to be in a smokers home , mine isn't.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Deluxe edition #9555 checking in from Udiscover along with a 25% off coupon that only lasts a week.
    Well #9555 will probably be checking out with some scratched discs. Hopefully I can get replacements.

21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am very interested in buying the deluxe edition of this set and I wondered if anyone was interested in buying my “Wings 1971-1973” box set ? It’s in very good condition, never played, although I did redeem the downloads.

coffeetime and AppleCorp3 like this.
  22. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

You wanna sell that box to buy the Flaming Pie one? I'd think long and hard about that...

23. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

It’s not quite as straight forward as that, I definitely wouldn’t be selling the Wings box for that reason alone. The Pie set is just something I would like to have, I’m not so interested in the super deluxe but the deluxe edition looks good to me.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Should I just go ahead and order the “Oklahoma Sized” Press To Play from uDiscover now? So it will be here by three weeks after the 40th anniversary?

omikron, supermd, MaccaBeGood and 3 others like this.
  25. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

I agree, Thrillington. Since the videos (two versions of The World Tonight and Young Boy, Beautiful Night, and Little Willow) have all been remastered,
    and as you mention in 1080p on YouTube, it would have been nice to have them on Blu-ray. The TFI Friday segment's SD, and maybe could have been
    added as a bonus to the In The World Tonight DVD. Just a thought.

Marshall

Paul McCartney "Flaming Pie" Archive Deluxe Edition Box Set Review