Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, I know some things were written earlier, I was just compiling the list based on when they were released, as a reasonable approximation of when the songs would have been "called into play"... Sure, When I'm 64 was around since at least 1961, but it wasn't deemed good enough to record until 1967 because of either adding finishing touches or they were just not that desperate for a song of that character yet...

2. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

"Penny Lane" may have been written in 1966, but the tune wasn't recorded until the sessions began in 1967 — so that makes it difficult to date properly.
    And then you have to wonder about the tunes started earlier but not finished, like "Michelle" — according to Paul, he'd got the basic tune by 1962, but it wasn't until 1965 that he finished putting lyrics on it.

Would you do the same for the solo material? Does "We Got Married" belong on Broad Street because it was done in 1984 or Flowers In The Dirt because it was finished in 1989?
    "A Great Day" was first done in 1971, though the first recording of the tune on bootlegs in 1974, and the official recording comes out in 1997 — do we take away from Flaming Pie for that?
    And so on.

Personally, I think Paul has enough to make a decent extra disc or two of lead in to a fantastic solo career overview with just his tracks alone — and that's all that matters.
    (I know I've done this on my iPod: 8 discs for an expanded/more complete Pure McCartney and 2 for Beatles material on top!)

jmxw likes this.
  3. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

If you look at the list above, I placed "When I'm Sixty-Four" pre-1962 only because it was treated in Paul's bio as basically finished — and it may have been reworked a la "One After 909" when he felt he needed a song to fit the slots. Note that it's Sgt. Pepper that he needs more than 5 tracks on, and it could very well have been "Penny Lane" in that slot on the LP had it not been released earlier at EMI's insistence.

I put the Please Please Me tracks, etc. before 1963 because there's a recording of most of them in that period (Anthology, Decca tape, Star Club 1962) or the covers were known to be part of the set at the time.

4. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

According to Paul, "She's Leaving Home" was a Lennon/McCartney co-write:

"John and I wrote 'She's Leaving Home' together. It was my inspiration. We'd seen a story in the newspaper about a young girl who'd left home and not been found, there were a lot of those at the time, and that was enough to give us a story line. So I started to get the lyrics: she slips out and leaves a note and then the parents wake up … It was rather poignant. I like it as a song, and when I showed it to John, he added the long sustained notes, and one of the nice things about the structure of the song is that it stays on those chords endlessly. Before that period in our song-writing we would have changed chords but it stays on the C chord. It really holds you. It's a really nice little trick and I think it worked very well.

While I was showing that to John, he was doing the Greek chorus, the parents' view: 'We gave her most of our lives, we gave her everything money could buy.' I think that may have been in the runaway story, it might have been a quote from the parents. Then there's the famous little line about a man from the motor trade; people have since said that was Terry Doran, who was a friend who worked in a car showroom, but it was just fiction, like the sea captain in "Yellow Submarine", they weren't real people."

Wiki - She's Leaving Home — The Beatles | Last.fm

theMess, andrewskyDE and supermd like this.
  5. Don't remember how we finished talking about this and that on a Flaming Pie speculation thread...

905, augustboy, whisper3978 and 3 others like this.
  6. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

There were quite a few other pre-63 McCartney originals, weren't there? I'm not quite sure of the dates, but One and One Is Two springs to mind.

Then we have World Without Love (earlier than 63?), Nobody I Know (64?), and Woman (65/66?). And what about It's For You from 64 and Step Inside Love from 68.

Also, who can forget There You Are, Eddie from 1969.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It's a long way to July.

8. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Has there been anything officially announced yet ?
    I keep checking this thread but it’s gone somewhat off topic of late.

peace and love✌Dave

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Nothing announced officially, and no real info about anything except that the Flaming Pie Archive set will be larger than and as expensive as the Titantic... ;)

10. ah.. ok... so... it's pretty hot here in Italy to be January 31th...

11. thisisscottjohnson

thisisscottjohnson Well-Known Member

Well, the choice was made easier by the fact that the Hi-Def deluxe audio for the White Album was going to be on Tidal and I can still purchase the box set anytime. Wings Over Europe? Not so much.

12. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

My choice would probably have been the Big Barn Box as it was a limited box whereas the White Album box is still readily available everywhere

Wingsfan2012 and kevintee like this.
  13. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Well February is tomorrow so maybe a Mike C sighting and clues??? :righton:

mikecarrera likes this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

He’s around, spoke to him briefly today

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  15. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Give him our best :)

mikecarrera and maccawings like this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I’m sure he’s checking in from time to time.

17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I can't see the McCartney 50th anniversary being much. Maybe a pic disc vinyl or some sort of promo item on RSD. But what else really could it be? And I think @mikecarrera said not to view it as a big type release but more to get things started.
    Of course I have no inside info but I assume it'll be not much.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can't see Mike changing his avatar for a picture disc. For that fact, I am assuming it is something better. Maybe not a box set, but hey, if they released one disc of McCartney album outtakes/alternates, I'd buy it in a second.

19. McCartney in MONO:D

20. If it'll be a rsd exclusive we still have a long way to go before to know it

tug_of_war likes this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

My Wow in mid December was in direct response to the FP news. While the retail listing has leaked showing all the scope of a single album release. I saw more to really dial in on my excitement. And while none of my people have guaranteed LIB boxed set, they are all expecting it in May. That’s no secret here, folks have been speculating on that very thing. So of course also excited for that.

Mike’s sandwich thing was early January. I wasn’t sure what that was until last week when I saw the notice. As usual, Mike way ahead of the rest of us.

Of course if FP is July, that leaves us plenty of time for maybe some bonus release(s). Too early to tell on my side. So at this point we are reliant on Mike for hints when he can. But I again say to those who obviously have sources and seem to be free to post about it....there is still some very good FP info to be had as well as the “first slice of bread” if you check with your people

22. That sounds really good!
    I hope you’re right with the release(S)!
    Thanks Maccawings

23. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Hopefully it will not be more than 30°C in June.

tug_of_war and longdist01 like this.
  24. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Thanks Macca!

25. who knows? it could be if it'll be as last year...