Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

In other words, the first slice should look like this: :hurl:

[​IMG]

I still prefer a Flaming Pie stuffed with secret ingredients.

The Beave and Yorick like this.
  2. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Looks pretty well spelled out

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    augustboy likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Spelt bread, indeed.
    ;)

longdist01 and omikron like this.
  4. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Was that joke kinda crumby anyone? Rye did you have to do that? You should have leavened it alone.

Sorry Arnold. Had to (it was a good joke).
    :)

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Ok... McCartney 50th picture disc... for the RSD ... at least I hope... i’m
    not willing to buy it in his online store...

6. Arnold Grove

:help:

;)

7. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Mike said it was related to a 50th anniversary. That means it's potentially linked to…
    • 6 February: "Instant Karma" single
    • 11 February: The Magic Christian soundtrack LP
    • 23 February: Hey Jude
    • 6 March: "Let It Be" single
    • 27 March: Sentimental Journey
    • 17 April: McCartney
    • 8 May: Let It Be
    • 11 May: "The Long And Winding Road" single
    • 25 September: Beaucoups Of Blues
    • 5 October: "Beaucoups Of Blues" single
    • 23 November: "My Sweet Lord" single
    • 27 November: All Things Must Pass
    • 11 December: Plastic Ono Band
    • 28 December: "Mother" single
    Since we know it won't be a large set, and there will be no outtakes/demos/etc. added on, then it's likely a remastered reissue.

Could it be Hey Jude but with the tracks remixed by Giles Martin a la the existing Beatles sets? That would certainly cover the missing singles from The Beatles and Abbey Road without offering anything majorly new.

mikecarrera likes this.
  8. WildWildHorses49

WildWildHorses49 Forum Resident

Have you seen his avatar? o_O

Yorick, supermd, theMess and 9 others like this.
  9. James Bell

James Bell Forum Resident

Disappointed if it's just another vinyl reissue for McCartney 50th - does Vinyl really sell more than CD or digital downloads? I hated vinyl first time round even in the 70s when that was all you could get - Cds were a revelation for me - crystal clear sound (to my ears) - no pops, clicks, jumps or warping. How have we gone back to a format that seemed (to me) to be long dead. Anyway i came across an article from 2009 with a track listing for an anthology style McCartney boxset - i imagine this got shelved in favour of the Archive series - still a lot of the material has not see the light of day yet - not even included on the relevant archive releases from the last 10 years. The track listing for 3 discs was

Disc 1: 1969-1972.
    1. Goodbye
    2. Maybe I'm Amazed - 1st original mix by Chris Thomas
    3. Every Night - take 1
    4. Rode All Night - edit
    5. A Love For You
    6. Little Lamb Dragonfly - without strings
    7. Get On The Right Thing - take 1
    8. Monkberry Moon Delight - alternate vocal take
    9. Sunshine Sometime
    10. Big Barn Bed - complete Ram ukulele version
    11. Dear Friend - w/o strings and horns
    12. Some People Never Know - oboe version
    13. Breakfast Blues - instrumental edit
    14. Mary Had A Little Lamb - long version
    15. Give Ireland Back To The Irish - slow version take 2
    16. Tragedy
    17. Thank You Darling
    18. Soily -1972 studio version
    19. Best Friend - studio version
    20. The Mess - studio version
    21. C Moon Jam - with John Bonham
    22. Lazy Dynamite - long version
    23. Night Out - instrumental
    24. Hi Hi Hi - slow verson
    25. Only One More Kiss - take 1
    Hidden Bonus Track: Radio spot with untitled instrumental for Hi Hi Hi / C Moon recorded at Abbey Road.

Disc 2 - 1973/1978
    1. Gotta Sing Gotta Dance
    2. Why am I crying
    3. I Lie Around
    4. Six o'Clock
    5. Bluebird
    6. Let's Love (April 1974 Version)
    7. Send Me The Heart (Take 1)
    8. Blackpool
    9. One Hand Clapping Theme
    1O. Live & Let Die (74 Version)
    11. Soily (74 Version)
    12. Love In Song (Take 1)
    13. Rockshow (74 Version)
    14. Wild Cat
    15. Baby Face
    16. The Note You Never Wrote (Take 1, Paul & Denny Everly's Version)
    17. Silly Love Songs (Fun Version)
    18. Must Do Something About It (Paul on vocal)
    19. She's My Baby (Rock Version)
    20. Waterspout
    21. One Woman
    22. Girlfriend (First Version)
    23. Twelve Of The Clock
    24. Did We Meet Somewhere Before
    25. Goodnight Tonight (Original 1978 Version)

Bonus hidden track : Wings 1974 Audio Ad for the Bread Company ("Proud Mum")

Disc 3 - 1979/1986
    1. Love awake (Ranachan Version)
    2. Rockestra Theme (Wings Version)
    3. Cage
    4. Robber's Ball
    5. Blue Sway
    6. Attention (Paul's guide vocal)
    7. Ode to a koala bear (Take 1)
    8. Rainclouds + George Martin & Paul moving impromptu dialogue about John
    9. Blackpool (1981 version)
    10. All the Love is There (With Stewart Copeland on Drums)
    11. I'll Give You a Ring
    12. No Values (1981 Montserrat Version)
    13. Tug Of War (1st string arrangement version)
    14. Stop You Don't Know Where She Came From (With great Brass section)
    15. Long & Winding Road / Ebony & Ivory Strawberry jam medley (With Stevie Wonder)
    16. Tug Of War acoustic reprise
    17. The Fool On The Hill
    18. Martha My Dear / Gloriana Medieval Guitar Piece Medley
    19. Your School
    20. Lindiana
    21. Yvonne
    22. Goodtimes Coming / Feel The Sun (Long Version)
    23. Angry long jam version (with Pete Townsend & Phil Collins)
    24. Hey Diddle (Paul & Linda duet, Chris Thomas 1986 version)
    25. Linda

Bonus hidden track : The Juggler music 1981 Theme

10. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Totally agree on vinyl, my thoughts exactly. Once CD came along, my vinyl was gone and I still love CD sound as much as back then (so long as it is not compressed).

11. Arnold Grove

Vinyl is way more profitable.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is enough material to do another McCartney set. All tracks were built up from scratch by him playing all instruments - so there’s likely not going to be any alternate performances. You could have rough mixes and things like that but not sure that’s enough to fill up a bonus disc.

Hopefully things change when we hit 50th anniversary of Ram coz that should have a boatload of outtakes and mixes! Plus Ram could also make for new 5.1 mix!

andrewskyDE and supermd like this.
  13. Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan

Iowa Hawkeye Beatlefan Forum Resident

Regarding the Ram thought, the team would need to tread carefully there. To reissue something with exclusives that has just been fairly recently done in a big, relatively expensive set is going to anger a significant portion of your target audience. So much so that I suspect that it would probably not sell well enough to be worth doing. I'd rather that they keep on pushing through the discography for more archive sets on albums not yet done. On the other hand, the suitcase makes me doubt the concern for the fans' wallets.

14. James Bell

Speaking of RAM - i just received my SDE boxset today which i paid £30 for - it was still factory sealed though the box was very slightly damaged and marked (hence the cheap price) but the contents were in immaculate condition and i only really wanted it for the unique mono mix of the album. Haven't the Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway deluxe sets covered more of the RAM outtakes such as "When the wind is blowing" and the RAM session versions of "Get on the right thing" and "Little Lamb Dragonfly". I think there are still unique "Cold Cuts" versions of "A Love For You" and "Hey Diddle" awaiting for release. I wonder if we will finally get a "Cold Cuts 1980 version" disc with BACK TO THE EGG or perhaps a 1986 version with a possible PRESS TO PLAY reissue

15. $30 is really a great price for a sealed Ram SDE slightly demaged and marked!

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

That track listing was made up by an overenthusiastic fan. Don't take it seriously.

supermd, theMess, jmxw and 1 other person like this.
  17. James Bell

Yes i am really pleased - i missed out on all the early sets due to lack of funds at the time - only started collecting the big boxes with Flowers In The Dirt and Wings 1971 - 1973. I would get them all new if some were not out of print or costing an absolute fortune second hand. But apart from the mono mix of RAM i had all the audio through other means e.g "Wings Over San Francisco" as a bonus disc on the Best Buy "Wings Over America" - the itunes RAM for 2 bonus tracks "Uncle Albert Jam" and "Eat At Home/Smile Away (Live), the itunes "McCartney II" for the contents of the third disc e.g full length versions of the album tracks (prices for that set second hand are crazy), "Band On The Run 25th Anniversary" CD for the audio documentary and the 1993 remaster CD of the Original album version of "Tug Of War". Have collected all the 2 disc McCartney Archive collections as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Oyster Boy, Who Cares and fungomatto like this.
  18. James Bell

Ah - i thought it was a genuine news item from 2009 - oh well :-0

19. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Yeah I remember this leak...right before Paul left EMI/Capitol for Concord Music...

Impressive 3 CD set even 10+ years later! Do we know where this leaked from???

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

tug_of_war and Marry a Carrot like this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It is an impressive list of tracks, to be sure. But I am doubtful it is from a real thing.

For instance, the three discs start with Goodbye, Gotta Sing Gotta Dance, and Love Awake. I mean, maybe Goodbye, but the other two I would definitely never consider as lead off tracks. I would hope if this were a real set from MPL the tracklistings would be a bit more creative than just chronological order [as this appears to be]....

But what do I know..? :targettiphat:

tug_of_war and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Why do people do that? Why make up a fake tracklisting and post it online as a "leaked upcoming release"? I'm not doubting you; it seems like a huge trolling.

tug_of_war likes this.
  23. bward

bward Senior Member

As one who bought the Travelers Edition suitcase, I can say, for this fan, that was a road too far.

If I spend big bucks on a McCartney set, it has to contain music unavailable anywhere else, as the Big Wings Box did.

I'll admit I should have canceled my Traveler's Edition order once the Explorers Edition was announced. Why didn't I do that? The press release made mention of some "surprises" in Travelers. Well, the surprise was on me. Not only did I end up buying Explorer on CD and vinyl, I would have been thrilled if I only bought that.

My mistake. Won't happen again.

I will say, as an Object, Travelers Edition is a cool collectible. Trouble is, for me, it's kind of a like an expensive White Album pen set (which I did not buy).

Actually, if Traveler's contained more book content, or recording information, I would have been ok. But it didn't. And I move on. I don't think I'm alone thinking this way.

I love the Archive series, I hope it continues. But I'm thinking this is the last time through the McCartney catalog for these albums.

If there are to be expensive Anniversary sets for some of the big albums, I'd really have to be knocked out by the previously unknown, unreleased material to buy this music again.

What would do it? I'd love a set of the allegedly lost in Lagos Band on the Run demos. Something like that.

BTW, I say allegedly lost, because I have a hard time believing there were no other copies of those tapes made, either as safety copies or for the band. I could be wrong.

I agree the McCartney team needs to tread carefully.

A McCartney picture disc, I'd buy.

Another color disc? Prob not. I've got one!

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

There is so much in the vault that we know of, who knows how much we don’t know

25. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

If this 'McCartney' color/picture disc is the first part of the sandwich, then hold the top piece of bread. I'll save my money for the meat and bottom piece of bread!