Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. I hope lots of audio will be included on the cheap set!

2. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

All the b-sides, too.

3. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

I remember the initial reports/speculation about the Archive Collection series. I think they linked Flaming Pie to Oobu Joobu, Liverpool Sound collage and the short movie Daumier's Law. What Do you think, except for the obvious Oobu Joobu, are the speculations still plausible?

4. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Hopefully the "????" isn't just "Ecology."

jmxw and augustboy like this.
  5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If they're going to include all the b-sides recorded in the mid-'80s, then maybe they'll include the unedited versions of those tracks and the rest of the David Foster and Phil Ramone sessions too.

omikron and Paul H like this.
  6. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I think this box will be costly...maybe around the price of Red Rose Speedway……….

The RRS box (presentation and appearance) is second to none in the Archive series......looks very impressive-the whole package!

It far exceeded my already high hopes for that album. The music enclosed has helped make it into my top 5 post Beatles Macca albums...……

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  7. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Eh... that actually makes the most sense, both for what they might do and for what's related to the album.

8. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Except for the last Fireman album, sales were understandably lower than Macca's usual standards, he could look at Rushes the way he did with Thrillington when he put that in the big RAM box...…….

9. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Seeing how this thread continues for the next 7 months will be.... interesting

Sean, theMess, jmxw and 2 others like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Any of the Fireman or Classical albums would be met with the worst sales of the series to date

longdist01 likes this.
  11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I'd save them for the Press To Play box.

Sean, theMess, Wingsfan2012 and 4 others like this.
  12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The more I think about it, the more I think they pretty much have to include the full versions of "I Love This House," "Atlantic Ocean," "Squid," "Don't Break the Promise," the original "Beautiful Night," and "Love Mix." Otherwise they're inviting criticism that the songs are presented in such inaccessible form, and I don't think "Don't worry! The full songs will be available on another expensive box set!" would be a persuasive response. (And that assumes there will even be a Press to Play box.)

jmxw, Oyster Boy and RAJ717 like this.
  13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I have bought over 900 blu-rays since the release of the format (originally went HD-DVD).

Only experienced issues with one disc and it was 10 years later... Rambo 1 had disc rot when I tried to play it this year.

We should be in a Blu-Ray only world, I have more issues with vinyl these days...

14. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Amen.

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Those songs were a decade old when 'Flaming Pie' was being put together so they really have no place in this set.

augustboy likes this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

that’s debatable as this was the album where they were finally used and presented. But this argument is as old as the hills

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Much as I want to agree with this, I just can't see MPL thinking that way. They weren't concerned about the issue of "inaccessibility" in 1997 and I doubt they would be now. I extracted these tracks from their Oobu Joobu's and edited on intros and outros from the bootlegs. The only one that was awkward to do (and which sounds awkward) was the intro to Atlantic Ocean.

18. At Amazon.uk back in stock, whater it’s, at 149£

19. agrasso77

agrasso77 Musicologist

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  20. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Why are there two threads on this, with largely the same posters posting about the same things (or in some cases literally copying and pasting the same posts)? Surely there’s a better way to do things. It’s hard enough keeping up with one McCartney new release thread!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    andrewskyDE, supermd, Fred68 and 7 others like this.
  21. James Bell

James Bell Forum Resident

I always thought these tracks along with "same love" and "Love comes tumbling down" will make up a "Return To Pepperland" bonus disc for the Press To Play SDE - that cancelled album was recorded 84 - 87 so would make sense to be included there as none of the tracks were part of the FITD SDE (apart from "Loveliest Thing"). According to wiki the tracklisting for the "Return To Peppperland" album was
    1. "Lindiana" – 5:48
      • Never officially released.
    2. "I Love This House" – 3:44
    3. "We Got Married" – 5:10
    4. "Beautiful Night" – 6:13
      • Early/demo version; re-recorded for release on Flaming Pie, 1997. This version also appeared as a B-side of some CD versions of the "Beautiful Night" single, embedded in the longer track "Oobu Joobu (Part 5)".
    5. "Loveliest Thing" – 3:58
    6. "Squid" – 6:25
    7. "Big Day" – 5:36
    8. "This One" – 3:26
      • Demo version, finished for Flowers in the Dirt, 1989.
    9. "Love Come Tumbling Down" – 4:22
    10. "Christian Bop" – 2:21
      • Released as a bonus track on the 2015 remastered edition of Pipes of Peace, 1983.
    11. "Atlantic Ocean" – 6:47
    12. "Love Mix" – 3:01
    13. "Return to Pepperland" – 4:53
    14. "P.S. Love Me Do" (Lennon–McCartney) – 3:47
      • Released on the Japanese edition of Flowers in the Dirt, 1989.
    15. "Same Love" – 3:55
    16. "Don't Break the Promise (McCartney, Eric Stewart) – 3:38[1]

22. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Well if it is, I hope it is indexed and not just one track. Puts me off playing that album TBH.

anthontherun, mrjinks and Lewisboogie like this.
  23. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

How do you make out from that information that it’s Flaming Pie ?

OobuJoobu likes this.
  24. bward

bward Senior Member

I suspect the Archives are being released out of chronological order to maintain interest in the series and to allow for each to be evaluated on its own merits without being compared to what preceded it.

There seem to be many fans who jumped off the McCartney train after Tug of War or Back to the Egg, and never came back.

And others who got into him during the big world tours, but are not so sure about Wings, because of all the negativity in the press over the years.

By hopscotching the releases, MPL is exposing all fans to the depth and breadth of this catalogue.

I, too, was hoping for Egg and London Town, and another Big Box containing Wings 79.

But Flaming Pie is a great work.

And I understand how its release, coming either before or after LIB 50, makes a lot of sense, as I think Flaming Pie is a stronger album and a better showcase for Paul's songwriting. So, maybe the idea is that folks who buy something from LIB50 might be more inclined to dip their toes into solo McCartney and Flaming Pie than a Wings album from the late 70s.

My apologies if this view has been expressed upthread. I'm just starting to go through it all this AM.

It's a great time to be a McCartney fan, isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    forthlin, Tord, MPLRecords and 14 others like this.
  25. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

Whatever that is, the regular CD and vinyl versions come out in FEBRUARY.