Paul McCartney - Got Back Tour 2022 - 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ehwalled, Feb 17, 2022.

1. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

I got emotional seeing Paul playing Band On The Run... with freaking 80 years old... in 2022... what a privilege.

He just brings so much joy to this world that makes me literally cry.

2. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Well said. To think its 2022 and we have Sir Paul and the Stones playing the same day in their country. Incredible!

3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

No they're not. They had ONE farewell tour in 1982.

Since reuniting in 1989, they have not claimed anything to be a "farewell tour".

4. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

This set the template for rock's farewell tours:

5. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

f
    fan-made art

joy stinson and Who Cares like this.
  6. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Yes Robbie is a real good guitarist, I love his playing. I think he is still playing with John Mayer?

joy stinson and Who Cares like this.
  7. Because it’s not from Glastonbury, but from
    May 13th

Who Cares and Bilbo Swaggins like this.
  8. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Funny with how things are now with everything being posted to YouTube or something, and last night I was looking to see if anything from Frome had been posted, then remembered that no phones or anything were permitted! News stories from there were nice to watch, and seeing him there would have been incredible!

My cousin, who lives in Palm Springs, CA, saw him at Pappy & Harriet's, and I STILL hear him brag that he was only a few feet from Paul. So seeing him in a small venue would be incredible!

Elliottmarx and Who Cares like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ram on! ;)

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

"We're still here, still rockin', and doing it better than you b!tch. Any further questions will be handled by Mick & Keef...they're just down the road a piece."

11. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I know it's not an official poster, but the info about more tour dates comes from someone who works very, very, very close to Paul.

omikron likes this.
  12. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Have to say have been digging the warm response Paul has gotten for the gig. Had a feeling it might go the other way so it’s nice to see all the love for the show.

13. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

His style was completely different from Jimmy McCullough’s whose guitar playing I also liked but I especially enjoyed Robbie’s guitar playing and was glad I saw him at two different McCartney concerts. Robbie does very good guitar solos and playing without playing in the lead guitar “hero style” of the late sixties and the seventies.

Yes, to reiterate what dr shipe and others above have said, I am glad Paul got a good response at Glastonbury as some feared maybe he wouldn’t.

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Glasto definitely a great tour souvenir! Who knows, may be awhile until officially released if at all

15. joy stinson

Yes,I just saw various Macca parts of it posted on YouTube. It was really impressive I thought and got positive responses in YouTube comments. Particularly loved the Glastonbury version of band on the run. Macca’s voice was good on that I thought.

16. TheLemmingFace

TheLemmingFace Forum Resident

Well, as a very brief review of what it was like to be there in person - Glastonbury was amazing!

We were running unavoidably late (don't ask...), so missed the first couple of songs, and people were packed so tightly that it was almost impossible to get off the paths and onto the field - I've never seen the Pyramid Stage as busy as this (Billie Eilish, for example, had loads of room at the back). Thankfully the crowd was a lot less dense once you got into the middle of the field - still busy, but you could jostle through it without knocking someone out. We halted about halfway down, so still a long way from the Macca diehards upfront, but with a great view of that unique Glastonbury scene.

The first hourish of the set was clearly a bit so-so for some of the casual fans (or not-at-all fans) around us; people saying it was just alright, and chatting a bit or just listening along politely during the slower unfamiliar numbers. Every Beatles song (apart from Mr. Kite - weird choice that) got a big audience singalong, however, and from Get Back onwards the tide turned and the whole place felt like it was in ecstasy. The guests felt like really big surprises that everyone loved; Hey Jude felt like it should have been twice as long (and lots of people were still singing it as we all trudged away after); honestly it was a truly euphoric party for the last hour, which feels astonishing in a crowd of 100-150k people.

His voice sounded great - not buried in the live mix, and easily holding its own out front. The whole thing was excellently mixed and sounded brilliant throughout - which wasn't the case with some other acts. Lots of people said they couldn't get their head around how he was 80 but so full of energy, and lots of people were impressed by how many instruments he played. So full credit to Paul and his band. I was really pleased to see all the 5 star 'one for the ages' reviews he got in the press, because that's exactly what it felt like.

Alen, Diego Esparcia, Grooge and 38 others like this.
  17. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

... and it's bad luck to mention KISS!!! I'd have to agree... I think Paul would not announce a farewell.. he would want to go out looking forward and leave them wanting more. What a soldier though.. his performances at Glastonbury were stronger than the beginning of the Got Back tour in every case I saw. Sorry I missed it too. I'd agree this was the period at the end of hard touring for Macca.

Is it the end for live performances and special appearances? I don't know.. clearly doing a series of shows is a thing that McCartney benefits from and he knows how to get better from the process... after seeing Get Back one wonders if Lennon shouldn't have taken him up on the suggestion in '69 to go about and play with a special segment for Yoko ... in a bag... but I kid!

One thing though... that guy in Stroud.. home of the "subscription rooms" is suggesting that now that they have been refurbished and the acoustic problems worked out... perhaps McCartney would play a show there. It is the place where the Beatles played a hated gig.. called their worst ever.. where they got pelted with stuff and couldn't hear. I'd love to see him do that around the 60th anniversary of the gig in 2023.

Grooge likes this.
  18. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Caught just a few songs off youtube but Amen... finally some professional sound in the video and he sounded great. He got better through the tour and a great version of I've Got a Feeling and Band on the Run! Glastonbury was the topper after all.. and the video of him making the "Maccarita" with Mary for the bbc was pretty good too!

Who Cares and joy stinson like this.
  19. joy stinson

Yes, I was particularly struck by the great sounding bass …the guy recording it said just used his iPhone. It was good to hear some of Macca’s great live bass playing, like in his seventies concert days. He’s so funny in that making a Macca Rita video…reminds me of the old video of him making mashed potatoes.

20. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Glastonbury was such a treat, but what was the regular folks reaction from the folks in the UK?

Bloodbuzz459 likes this.
  21. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I have yet to speak to anyone who criticised it but then I didn't go to work and hear many mention it to be fair. The press gave glowing reviews though.

In fairness every year someone who headlines Glastonbury gets the usual headlines of it being 'Legendary'...'Era Defining'....etc. They do tend to get quite carried away with it.

22. long gone john

long gone john Forum Resident

I’ve been a fan as long as I can remember - I can’t recall him ever getting as much love from both press and public alike as he has over the last few days. After decades of him being treated as a bit of a joke/bore in the UK, it feels like a lot of people have finally woken up to the fact that he is legitimately one of our national treasures.

23. postscripum

Maybe he should do it, but when the audience arrives the band just pelts them with stuff. That would be closure.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
  24. postscripum

I know, it's delightfully surprising.

25. Col

Col Forum Resident

We all know the Macca vocal issues but more than in the last ten years there were moments when he nailed it and sounded just like the record..Golden Slumbers being one instance.It's all positive press..the tide has turned and he is now valued in his homeland,loved even.Nice.