Paul McCartney greatest flaw as an artist ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

So I dispute this. So he and Stevie Wonder put out a catchy ode to race relations at a time MTV wasn't wanting to play black artists that hits #1. I don't really care how it sounds - it may not be your cup of tea, but there are more than a few kids who heard that message and maybe it sunk in a little. I'm good with that.

We All Stand Together was a for a CHILDREN'S cartoon. It was a song written for children. So I guess if an entertainment isn't edgy or cool or rock n roll its invalid?

Paulwalrus, ltdrry, gja586 and 7 others like this.
  2. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

John Lennon loved Coming Up.
    Say Say Say is a decent pop song.
    Ebony and Ivory is a #1 hit about race relations- more power to him and Stevie I say.

3. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

He has released two projects that created most of the critical fallout that followed him throughout his career.

Wild Life - After critics wrongly panned Ram, which he put everything he had into, he said F*** you, and went and recorded a record in 6 days. Had he held out a few months, he would have had a fairly stellar Wings debut LP - Soily, Best Friend, Tomorrow, Mama's Little Girl, Get on the Right Thing, The Mess, A Love For You, Some People Never Know, Dear Friend, Little Lamb Dragonfly, I Lie Around... all were recorded and available by mid-1972 and would have given Wings a much better reputation starting out.

Broad Street - A disaster of a movie, distracted Paul from music at a critical time - put the 2 good and 1 great/classic song from Broad Street on Pipes of Peace and its as good as Tug of War. Launching Paul into the 2nd half of the 80s with some quality work and not two half baked disasters.

Oh, and maybe Spies Like Us was a bad idea.

gja586 likes this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

13-great when he's focused, he only has a few focused albums

5. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

McCartney is a human beeing And All human beeings make misstaken down The Road.
    We All have or top moments in live And our bad moments.
    This makes who we are.
    McCartney had So many top moments hè is a great songwriter.
    And hè had his bad moments where inspiration had left the building.
    This is normal.
    So I have no reason to vote.

foxylady and Man at C&A like this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Rotten pool player
    Rotten cornet player
    Can't speak French
    Doesn't pay his debts

Oh, you mean MCCARTNEY'S bad pernts ...

I would go with too much "First idea = Best idea", particularly when it comes to lyrics. I understand his desire to not stand in the way of the muse, but he seems much more intent on applying his craft to the musical side, and recording/production aspects, while the lyrics that first came to him are sometimes nearly sacrosanct.

Paul H likes this.
  7. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

8. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I agree with this -

he is actually quite insecure - so when Ram is panned, he says, fine, I'll just spend no time on a record like Dylan does...and releases Wild Life

he is criticized when he tells a producer "how many #1 hits have you written" - but when he is forced to accept their stupid ideas it lowers the quality of his work.

He has LITERALLY written more #1s than anyone else. So he does get to ask that question.

Paulwalrus, ltdrry and maywitch like this.
  9. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Not at all; neither were entertaining and were, frankly, utter rot in the manner of "We Built This City".

goddammitjanice likes this.
  10. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

too much sappy stuff

and still tries to be too cool

bring in some outside musicians from time to time

11. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I assume there will be an indentical thread for John Lennon as well....?

or was John right when he sang;

'everybody loves you when your six feet in the ground ?'

Paulwalrus, ltdrry and angelees like this.
  12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

his greatest flaw is that he is Paul McCartney

no one dares give him any constructive criticism

goddammitjanice, angelees and Gila like this.
  13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

His failure to recognize the importance of Helen Wheels to the Band On The Run LP.

audiotom likes this.
  14. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I would only say that there ISN'T another collaborator on that level.

fallbreaks likes this.
  15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Definitely #1. A lot of nonsense lyrics, even though most of them are catchy as hell and I like them. That being said, while Mick Jagger was writing "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man", the closest Paul could come would maybe be "Blackbird".

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Before this thread gets too serious... ;)

Terrapin Station likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Anyone ever wonder why so many people have such narrow tastes, why they're so picky?

And yes, it's having narrow tastes when you don't like the majority of the music you hear. You like when Paul McCartney--or whoever--plays/writes this way, but not that way or that way or that way.

It's like saying, "Oh, I like creamsicle orange and sherbert orange, but I don't like any of the other oranges." That's narrow taste. But why are so many people so picky? Why are they so hard to please? Why don't they like more stuff?

[​IMG]

18. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

All of them. But I'm retired.

bzfgt likes this.
  19. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

He's pretty sacred alright, to most of us here. But we are welcome to critique artists here, but not to bash McCartney or anyone else here. As I understand the rules here.

Nor would I want to, McCartney is a great Artist imo. But I do have critiques of his works, some I like more than than others.

goddammitjanice likes this.
  20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

To me McCartney's biggest weakness and what I think is a major strike on his legacy, is his reluctance since the 80s to perform a vast majority of his Wings/solo material!

This man has tons of absolutely fantastic songs he should have performed live! Decade after Decade he has basically trotted out the same show, Paul McCartney has been Beatle heavy since the 80s! The 80s!

Such a shame for an artist who easily has the material to basically never repeat himself!

gja586 likes this.
  21. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Biggest flaw is he's a workaholic. He'll put out an LP even when he has nothing to say. More focus and quality control needed and to wait until he has first rate material before releasing anything.

audiotom likes this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I always said he would be found out eventually.

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

He's released 3 albums in the last 10 years.....

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Married a vegetarian...

25. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

I don't like everything he has put out but I am glad he has as there are songs that I love that would never have been released if he was to follow the criteria stated in this thread. I don't think I'd be as big a fan of him if it was not for some of the stuff like Check My Machine, Single Pigeon or Morse Moose and the Grey Goose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.