Paul McCartney in Moscow - Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sanfi4u, May 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member Thread Starter

Yesterday, 24 May, Sir Paul McCartney gave the only one concert at the Red Square. The road to this event was long and winding, you know. But finally it happened. And it proved it worthwhile waiting for 30 years.
    The ticket prices were unprecedented for Moscow: the dancing floor located behind the seating places cost $50 with the seats going up from $100 up to $670 (official retail price). I heard first rows cost $1500, but I'm not sure. I paid $300+ for my childhood dream. I'm glad there's not so many unreleased childhood dreams left :).

Well, the show was just fantastic! Many people waited for all their lives to listen to Paul singing Beatles classics. Thus the concert was very emotional. It peaked when Paul was singing Back in the USSR, I saw here standing there, Can't buy me love, All my loving, Birthday.

Paul is a perfect showman (which is actually a well-known fact). He's still capable of singing surprisingly high notes and in a surprisingly good way. So, professionally the show was almost flawless. Excellent sound, the band played with a good drive, his new staff makes good vocal harmonies. Paul was excellent in singing, playing and even communicating with the audience in Russian (reading the text, but anyway he did a great job and was rewarded by the crowd).

Some highlights from the show:
    Paul announced the next song goes live first time since it was recorded in 60s and nothing happens then. His electric guitar stays silent in spite of his playing. The problem was fixed soon and Paul commented: Well, now you know it really goes live. Then, it was It's getting better.

Somewhere in the middle of the show when Paul was playing his next song suddenly half of the audience jumped up from their seats starring somewhere to the right. It seemed Paul was a bit confused with the situation: What could happen if they lost interest to the best showman in the world? So many people were starring outside the stage as if Lenin himself joined the show! No, it was President Putin joining the concert. Folks! If the Russian president attends a rock show we really live in a different country now. By the way, Mayor of Moscow as well as some members of the Government joined the concert too.

It was a historical moment when Paul performed his Back in the USSR song. It was a very emotional moment for him and for the audience. The music sounded very tight and energetic. The screens were flashing with a collage of USSR-time newspapers, chronicles, symbols etc. All the people jumped dancing to the song. That was great!

I had no idea how Paul is going to play Something on ukulele guitar. But it was interesting version and sounded good to me.

Well, it was the best show Moscow ever saw. Sir Paul promised to be back. Hopefully it will not take him the other 30 years to come :D.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Sanfi4u, I'm happy that you finally got to see Paul McCartney. How many people do you estimate were at the concert? (By the way, I was in Moscow in 1989 and saw Paul Simon perform there). Paul is definitely on a roll. First the Coliseum, now Red Square. Where next?

Jim W.

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Sounds awesome! Even for the President to make the show, now that's where I can just say music IS the best language still to communicate with. Totally just worth every red cent you paid for your ticket. I love the way you spelled Lennon as Lenin!! Too Cool way too cool...:) Thanks for sharing your McCartney Experience with us:thumbsup:

4. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Sanfi4U-
    Great review!:) Thank you for capsulizing the highlights of the show for all of us to read. I would be curious to find out how many were at the concert. What was security like?

Hope you post more often.:thumbsup:

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wow - This forum is really far reaching!

What a GREAT post. Thanks so much for posting that. With all of the bullsh** going on in the world, to have an '60 icon bringing a couple hours of world unity through music is such a great thought.

6. Sanfi4u thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed the show. I've never seem Macca myself. Hopefully one day. :sigh:

7. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Great Review!

Thanks!

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Sanfi4u,
    Thanks for the posting. Did you record the show?

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sanfi4u, I'm glad you could be there! There is nothing like seeing a Beatle in person! We saw a bit of it as it was broadcast on CNN. It looked great.

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yeah, I had to do a double-take when I read this, too! Of course, Lenin's tomb *is* in Red Square, so... Reminds me of the old Firesign Theater album with a picture of both Lennon and Lenin.

Jim W.

12. Beatle Terr

Yes that's why I had to make mention of the spelling. I didn't mean to offend our Russian friend but that is exactly what went through my head was that same picture. I remember there were full size Poster's of it for sale in the 70's even.

13. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

That is a great review.

As for Lennon and Lenin, there is really not much commonality there except for the spelling... or actually there is: had Lennon still been alive, and had Lenin never been born, the world could have been a better place.

14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

What a fabulous review! I saw Macca twice here in the States, NYC and Hartford. My wallet is still hurting! Now, I feel like I was right in Red Square. Also nice to know that the stars in the audience make grand entrances there as well.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It proves the influence of McCartney and the Beatles knows no boundaries and is timeless and international. Great review!

16. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Thanks for that review Sanfi4u - I felt very involved and emotionally uplifted as I read through it - I'm so happy that you got to see Sir Paul on top form :thumbsup:

All the best - Andrew

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Great Review of a Great Show....:goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie::goodie: :goodie:

18. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Thank you for the wonderful report!

Thank you for giving us that nicely written first hand report on Sir Paul's historic Moscow show!!! :thumbsup:

FFF

19. Sanfi4u

Jim, as I heard around 50'000 people joined the show. Quite a lot!

Regards

20. Sanfi4u

Actually I thought to myself this must be either Lennon or Lenin arrived if the audience jumped up that way :)

By the way later I saw on TV that President Putin invited Paul and his wife to visit his Kremlin apartments for a tea party. Mr. Putin said Beatles music was like a breath of fresh air in Soviet days. And this is true. I've recorded my first Beatles albums (Beatles'65 & Beatles VI) on a cheap cassette player back in 74 and played this cassette to death. This was the love at a first glance that lasts till now.

21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's good to know that Paul, no matter what country he's in, is only interested in having the most affluent Beatles fans show up to kiss his wealthy ass. And have them thank him for the chance.

22. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Good morning Captain Buzzkill.

23. Beatle Terr

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

24. Sanfi4u

Steve,

If somebody told me back in 70s I'm going to join Mccartney show I won't believe him. I was absolutely sure it will never ever happen in my life. On the other hand if it happened to me back then when I was a teenager I would probably die. So, fortune was very kind to me postponing my meeting with Paul till now :).

The show was really fantastic! A dream come true! Nevertheless I'm still alive and feel myself quite well. A privilege of aging :D .

Regards,

Sergei

25. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

It really is wonderful seeing Paul continue to move a world audience with this tour. I think he really does sound and play great and to think of the warm feelings among the fans truly is heartwarming in a cynical age:)
    I don't blame him for making tons of $, the Beatles always were about making lotsa $ and I have no problem giving $ to Macca. The joy he's brought me for 40 years is priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.