Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Ok -- again, he was able to get a decent line out of it, but why can't we just say "hey he has elementary abilities on that instrument"?

George learned to play very basic things on the sitar, but was 100% right when he said he'd never be able to truly play it. That would be true of anyone who didn't put in the time to really learn to play these instruments.

I am a little befuddled about why we can't just be honest with ourselves and say "when it comes to his non-primary instruments, Paul can get basic lines out, but not much more"?

2. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I just found that the JPC green cover CD edition is no longer available.
    It seems this time I was right to jump at the order button without thinking. :)

3. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Paul: "See, I can just pluck these strings like a harp you know....hmmmm...gives me an idea....[sings] Wednesday morning at five 'o clock....no, no....[sings] Sleeping on a pillow, leaping armadillo-"

George: "You've already got all the other instruments, Paul. You'd better leave this one to me!"

5. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Because the meaning of my comment, is that a coral sitar-guitar is simply a guitar brand developed in the 60s, that mimic's the sound 'somewhat' of an actual sitar, but is in fact just a guitar period.

jricc and PhoffiFozz like this.
  6. andrewhh

andrewhh Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Pretty much. The main set of strings is tuned like a normal guitar, and they use guitar pickups. What is special about them is the "buzz bridge" that creates that buzzy sitar-like sound, and the sympathetic strings.

Paulwalrus, BeatleJWOL, jricc and 5 others like this.
  7. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

George: Forget the bass, Paul. That's not how you should play it.
    Paul: Ok, I quit. This thing is too big. I would need a capo to do most chords.

Who Cares likes this.
  8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

He is NOT playing that on "Tragedy".

[​IMG]

Want a sitar-guitar? Check Brian on "Come On To Me".

theMess, supermd, Yorick and 5 others like this.
  9. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Is that the guitar The Box Tops used on Cry Like A Baby?

Who Cares and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  10. andrewhh

andrewhh Forum Resident

Funnily enough, when I answered the question about what a Coral sitar is, I almost added "but the sitar on Tragedy sounds to me like a real one, not a Coral." I held back because I got muddled up yesterday in the telecaster/esquire discussion and said some things that turned out to be factually wrong, and so I didn't want to make a fool of myself again! ;)

PhoffiFozz, Who Cares and MPLRecords like this.
  11. andrewhh

andrewhh Forum Resident

Does anyone know what the headgear is a about? Is is a Monty Python reference?
    [​IMG]

12. johnny moondog 909

13. MPLRecords

You didn't have to be there, and I don't have expertise. The photo I included is from the recording session for "Tragedy".

BeatleJWOL and PhoffiFozz like this.

14. Pretty sure it’s the instrument, but played by session guitarist, ace, Reggie Young,
    Who also played it on the hit by BJ Thomas, Hooked On A Feeling.

Monasmee likes this.
  15. johnny moondog 909

Or maybe the photo is one thing & what ended up on the record are two different things. There are real vibes on the record, maybe the real sitar was so out of tune they grabbed a coral.

16. livin´thing68

livin´thing68 Forum Resident

So if this should be McCartney's last album, then I would like a back to the roots album, nothing electronic or experimental, I don't need that anymore. A bit of the Beatles, Wings and McCartney I.

Deano6 and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  17. GerardH

GerardH Well-Known Member

Bri created that buzzy sound on his own Red Special with a string put over the 6 other strings to increase the vibration which also creates a buzzy sound. He did it for Jealousy, great Queen song!

Paulwalrus and Paperback Writer like this.
  18. Runcibletune

Runcibletune Forum Resident

Brian Ray used that coral on 'come on to me' certainly live anyways

BeatleJWOL, jricc, theMess and 3 others like this.
  19. MPLRecords

The Red Rose Speedway Archive set is the authority on this. It's not a coral.

BeatleJWOL, Paperback Writer and SRC like this.

20. It’s all over and throughput this song, particularly right at start and last 25 seconds

DRM likes this.
  21. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

You are correct.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia....

"Because (Star's Electric Sitar) tone quality and playing technique differ significantly from that of the sitar, it is typically used in rock, jazz, and fusion styles. Notable early hit singles featuring electric sitar include Eric Burdon and the Animals' "Monterey", Joe South's "Games People Play", Stevie Wonder's "I Was Made to Love Her" (played by Eddie Willis) and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", B.J. Thomas' "Hooked on a Feeling" (played by Reggie Young), The Spinners' "It's a Shame", The Box Tops "Cry Like a Baby" as well as some sides by The Stylistics and The Delfonics."

Who Cares and Paperback Writer like this.
  22. GerardH

GerardH Well-Known Member

@Paperback Writer Brian May is a really great guitarist! Just take a listen at his new guest appearance for Woman, I’m A Woman, which isn’t very suitableo_O but really great sound!

Paperback Writer likes this.

23. When he’s not playing music Macca flips Pizza and that’s the headgear. LOL
    Plus he gets a good sound out of the pizza wheel slicer, when cutting the pizza, word is - he uses his right hand when doing this! ;)

24. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Yes, because a picture of someone sitting with a sitar, plucking the strings, totally means he can play it! :laugh:

Who Cares and Oaw like this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident