Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

That's a great example of a lyric ministering to someone. :)

Dr. Pepper and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  2. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION

Gee, I sure hope slidin' reminds you of a McCartney III track :uhhuh:

Rapol93, Ringo Hendrix and jlf like this.
  3. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

OOF editing that now :D

I wonder if it was written for McCartney III cuz it sure sounds like it’s from that album

4. Ringo Hendrix

Pretty Boys, with its arpeggio acoustic guitar, sounds like it belongs on Flaming Pie. Such a sweet sounding song.

Sounds like a beautiful song and will probably be a favorite of mine.

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Who's Steven Wilson?

Rocco and Geordiepete like this.
  6. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Isn't he the chap that wrote that Hamilton musical?

jesse, Darrin L. and AlienGirlWorx like this.
  7. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

Slidin’ is the immediate stand out for me. I couldn’t get Find My Way or Winter Bird/When Winter Comes to play, but I did hear them earlier - just not in the context of the album as a whole.

Deep Deep Feeling sounds like nothing else in Paul’s catalog. Sort of modern sounding, but also not sort of modern sounding, if that makes sense.

Love the riff on Lavatory Lil.

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

No, Paul's the chap that's writing the music for the Its A Wonderful Life musical.

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Great seeing all the comments

Well, most anyway

:hide:

The Band, brettb33, Rapol93 and 4 others like this.
  10. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

An artist releases 9 different coloured vinyl editions, for is it 10? I've lost count. The artist also announces several CD versions with different covers, but with the same music, then shortly afterwards announces another 4 versions of the same CD, each with a unique track.

Such behaviour is disgusting and cynical beyond words. It is the antithesis of everything the Beatles stood for.

Even worse than that, he also releases 333 copies on a yellow and black vinyl version. To achieve what? Pure hype and 333 happy fans (less the scalpers) , and tells every other fan to go to hell.

I'm a long time Beatles fan and someone who has enjoyed following Paul's career - but several recent decisions have stretched his credibility. The decisions that have surrounded this release have caused a massive loss of respect for the artist by me.

He seems to delight in creating more and more expensive deluxe editions that pale in comparison to most others in terms of content.

I can only sadly assume a warped ego and desperate attempt to seek a number 1 album drive this. It's certainly not integrity or artistic credibility.

Trader Joe and DRM like this.
  11. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

LOL, you guys complained when there was no comprehensive plan.....behold the comprehensive plan.....market the hell out of a legend!

BeatleJWOL, jmxw, omikron and 13 others like this.
  12. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Just a reminder, Paul McCartney signed a contract. Every so often he is required to submit material to Capitol Records. Perhaps it is also required that he make an attempt at promotion. Maybe.

At that point, Capitol Records does virtually everything else. That's the way this works. Paul McCartney has no clue that an Orange version was just announced. Or that bonus demos will be trickling out on various releases. He kept his side of the deal with Capitol. The record company is the one which decided to sell it this way. They had options. This is the one they chose.

Also, surely you must remember how much cheesy-to-the-point-of-creepy Beatles merchandise there was during Beatlemania. Did Beatles wigs and popsicles have integrity? Board games and trading cards? How about the Beatles forced to pose for a million and one corny photographs? Was pretending to be punched by Cassius Clay 'cool'? How about letting the American record company add reverb and then chop up your albums to have more product to sell in time for Christmas? Come on, if this is an outrage, you haven't been paying attention.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  13. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

Pretty boys sounded pretty plain to me.....like a poor cousin to the superior Early Days until it hit me and the song clicked. I think the "Pretty Boys" are the Beatles and Paul is talking about how they used to feel at their photo shoots always being treated like objects. I think Brian Epstein is the Squire. Now it's sort of genius. Early Days and Pretty Boys are his biographical songs like Ringo does on his albums. Pretty Cool. Imho:)

14. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

How/Where are people hearing songs from the album?

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  15. Ringo Hendrix

Radio broadcasts

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  16. rigby2222

rigby2222 Forum Resident

Wow! Lavatory Lil, Slidin', and Woman and Wives are just awesome. It's amazing how Paul can just jump from style to style. His guitar playing is really showcased on this album! What a treat in this crazy year.

17. I have an opposite opinion on this .

Like many bands and artists, Paul McCartney is also a business. And a big business to boot. If it were not for the pandemic he would be on tour employing literally hundreds of people. He record company would benefit from record sales as a result of his touring. Every vendor from program printers to t shirt vendors and beer slingers would be making bank right now.

His label Capitol along with UMG have an obligation to create and sell as many copies of his album as possible. Labels have always used every possible means to stimulate record sales. Physical releases are much less than digital sales of albums and playlists these days and this year it is even more challenging for artists to sell their work in an attempt replace lost tour income.

It doesn’t matter if Paul the artist and person is rich as hell. His business and related entities have hundred of people who rely on the annual income he produces. Just like any other small or large business.

Releasing all these options brings in more income and in turn keeps more folks on the payroll of the various contractors who are involved in the creation sakes and marketing of McCartney III. It really is a cottage industry we are talking about.

It’s not about wether some idiot (like myself) feels the need to buy every friggen version made available.

It’s not greed it’s the music business surviving and thriving during a pandemic when many other businesses are dying.

18. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

Speaking of merchandising... I post, without comment, a partial list of products licensed by Seltaeb (the company set up for the group by Brian Epstein) during the first year of Beatlemania:

lunchbox
    board game
    beatles wig
    hair spray
    shampoo
    serving tray
    inflatable dolls
    bobble heads
    bubble gum
    trading cards
    hair brush
    ice cream bars
    licorice
    candy cigarettes
    bread
    toy instruments
    headphones
    plastic dresses
    nylons
    talcum powder
    moth balls (!!)

19. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Radio broadcasts recorded with a cellphone from the late 1990s. Expect a mono and very distant sound, as if it was coming from below a mountain of fluffy pillows.

Ringo Hendrix, Ed59 and Dr. Pepper like this.
  20. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Big cottage. :)

Paperback Writer likes this.
  21. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

How can they sleep?!

Wonder if there were any poor souls who felt they had to purchase every variation of every one of the full list of such products. (Not really!)

Paulwalrus, jesse and Ed59 like this.
  22. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

While holding off on listening to all the McIII songs - yet - I’m listening to the third flaming pie archive vinyl (home demos) with my feat up and a glass of wine. So nice and relaxing. :)

23. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Just heard the album....
    For those that want to find it, the leak does sound like it's under two pillows so be warned.
    On 1st listen Deep Down is a deep too far, sounds like a Driving Rain outtake and not a particularly good one as that & Long Tailed Winter Bird perhaps goes on too long as an intro.
    Other then that I really, really enjoyed it, section from Slidin to Kiss of Venus is fantastic, Slidin is Paul rocking out superbly....Wouldn't sound out of place on an Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys record, Deep Deep Feeling is him at his experiemental best and doesn't outstay it's welcome and the Kiss of Venus is beautiful (Paul's vocals through most of this are terrific)
    Woman and Wifes didn't grab me on first listen, but will hear again proper when it comes out next month.
    Lavatory Lil reminds me of Alligator on New, really enjoyed Pretty Boys and Seize the Day is potential radio material, similar to People Want Peace, but reminds me of Queen for some reason.
    The two tracks I've heard as mentioned previously I like too, Find My Way is catchy with a great hook and When Winter Comes is a classic, gorgeous melody.
    Another worth release, far too early to rank it, but those expecting an album to the first two McCartney records might be disappointed, this is more in vain with his solo work from Pie onwards.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Feat don’t fail you now.

25. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Maybe too many glasses of wine! ;)