Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. I think Paul’s vocals are good—at least as good and probably better than on Egypt Station.

When Paul rocks hard and belts it out in his Little Richard Style, he sounds like he could be singing “Call Me Back Again” or for a more recent comparison, “Only Mama Knows.”

In other songs, his background vocals sung in higher registers are spot on.

Still other songs, he experiments with vocal styles that suit his range (Blues, R&B, etc.) and he sounds good.

Some of his “middle of the road” vocals sound like his “older” voice with a bit of raspiness and breathiness, but it suits the songs fine. For example, in a song like Blackbird, he doesn’t sing it like he used to. Instead of a young man marveling at a woman, he is grandfatherly recognizing the beauty of youth. People age, their voices start to sound different, and it’s not “embarrassing”—it just “is.”

He’s never reaching for a note that he can’t hit, and he still sounds like Paul. And when he rocks out, he still sounds young. Imagine that at 78.

So to wear out a tired phrase, if you don’t like Paul’s voice, then don’t buy the album.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

But if you like it buy four or more!:D

CmoonL7, Durango88, kevintee and 4 others like this.
  3. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I understand that my comments might upset some posters on here, but I guess that is something to be expected as everyone on here are dedicated McCartney fans. I am too, but that doesn't mean that I am necessarily blinkered to aspects of Paul's performance vocally speaking.

As I have stated, i have been blinkered in the past when it has come to Paul's work and have defended him to the hilt, even when some tracks he has produced have not been critically received in a favourable way. The same applies to my football team. I used to blame the referee, the linesman, anyone other than my own team when we lost. Now I see things from a more neutral standpoint. I still love McCartney and am thankful he is still producing music. I loved the majority of Egypt Station so a return to the more natural McCartney voice on McCartney III has emphasized how his voice has deteriorated over the years, which is not too surprising given his age. It is also in sharp contrast to the assisted vocals heard on ES.

The fact that so many people on here have bought more than one copy of the album speaks for itself regarding the loyalty fans hold for him. I have ordered one copy although I have changed my order twice! Having bought every McCartney album on release since Abbey Road, I too am a loyal fan and don't expect to hear a 30 year old McCartney but it really pains me to hear this great man struggling to reach notes that given his aged voice may now be best left alone.

4. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

It is okay to be „packed with illusions“...:);)

Bemagnus likes this.
  5. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

:righton:

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

That's it, put it on everyone else. Never have the humility to say, "Hey, looking at my comments, I can now see that they come off as very douchey and condescending". No, it's OUR fault for being upset by your comments. Stay classy, dude.

7. I have an idea about the four demos:

Paul has said during interviews that what turned out as McCartney III started as him pulling out older unfinished songs and completing them. One interviewer asked Paul if the songs on the album were these older recordings and Paul said only a few of them.

Listening to the album, there are two vocal tracks recorded when Paul was a lot younger. The remaining vocal tracks sound like they have been recorded this year, either because the songs were written this year or because they were written and recorded earlier but had unfinished vocals.

So, perhaps the songs being labeled as demos are the earlier versions of the songs from years ago, with the earlier unfinished vocal tracks. That would be intriguing. The demos don’t have to be of the songs that were written during Spring/Summer 2020.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  8. daveidmarx

BTW, has anyone else picked up on the fact that Long Tailed Winter Bird repeats a section verbatim? The portion from 0:12-2:40 is repeated. Is THIS what the official release will be like? If you omit the repeat, the track runs a more reasonable 2:49 in length.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  9. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

This is exactly the record I always hope artists like McCartney would make.. without the of the moment producers, without the attempts at "relevance" (hello auto-tune!), and not reaching for a new audience through awkward star collaborations (looking at you Kanye) ..

Love that this really sounds like he just went in the studio and did what ever the hell he wanted. Someone up thread mentioned Caesar Rock on the last record as a touch stone.. I agree with that take completely.

I kinda can't believe we are getting this.. almost unfiltered McCartney record. And in that way stays true to the other McCartney records in the trilogy.

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Why do you feel the need that in pist after post diss other members wiews. Of course most of us here are devoted to Pauls music but I rarely see anyone who praises everything the man does. And even if they did who are you to question the preferences of people you don t even know
    Regarding Pauls vocals -some can t stand his current voice, some accept it and some even like it. Seems normal to me since it s a subjective thing
    As I said before Iv been following Pauls music for 50 years. There are stuff from most if his eras I don t particulary don t enjoy most of it I like and some I find to be great. Just like anyone else here I guess
    By the way I have not ordered any version of the album yet
    I still find it rude, to dismiss other peoples wiews as rose-coloured or delusional.

11. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Paul has given us so many different vocal styles and to me it’s amazing he’s still giving us more. Listening to the album as he intended the sequence I barely noticed the vocals as the melodies and instrumentation as well as the lyrics were so compelling. Every once in while I would kind of “wake-up” and notice the vocals but not in a bad way even though it is clearly not the same Paul McCartney who was one of the best pop/rock singers of our time. But that’s okay - I told myself get over it. We had that guy now we have the current guy. Same but different. Other thoughts opinions:
    1. Lyrically and emotionally, the album sums up 2020 pretty well IMO
    2. Several songs were directly applicable to my life...
    3. Paul is grappling with his age/mortality and commenting on the world we live in - and trying to impart some wisdom...
    4. The songs that rock / rock as hard or harder than any 2000’s macca album
    5. He is a underrated guitarist and drummer —along with his bass playing he is a one man power trio

Finally, the lead off track Winter Bird makes me feel all the emotions of this year - anger, fear, hope and confusion to name a few - and is just a piece of rocking that is unlike anything else to my ears.

12. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

Maybe this has already been mentioned I seem to remember upthread lots of talk about Slidin.. I got to say ...this feels like a song John Lennon could have made during his early solo career.. I have never had that impression before listening to McCartney solo stuff but this really has a Lennon solo feel..

Rocco likes this.
  13. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Cool down dude!

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I agree. I like Egypt Station and Chaos and many other albums Paul have done over the last decades. But.....
    This new album is a different breed since he done it all by himself and maybe for himself to.
    I have found some of the McCartney stuff I like most is when he doesn t try so hard to please. McCartney III is such a work and that makes it special
    After listening a bit to McCartney III I yhink it s a worthy successor to the previous two McCartney albums which for me is the highest praise I can give.

15. daveidmarx

I'm cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce. :righton:

As long as we're giving advice, how about you stop telling people they shouldn't like an album that you yourself haven't even heard yet. Seriously, do you not see how condescending that is? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So I'm still back on page 491 in this megathread, but I have to say this. (sorry dormouse, but your post (among others!) got me momentarily fired up) Long one incoming, feel free to skip:

Face masks are not a problem. They are a thing we as COVID-vulnerable human beings will be doing for the foreseeable future, particularly here in America, and there is not a single thing wrong with being able to buy one with something you like printed on it. Period. There's just not. It's not a cash grab, it's not disrespectful or distasteful, it's simply a product that exists that you can buy or not. No different than t-shirts.

The demos forcing multiple purchases of the exact same content in order to have it all; yeah, okay, I get it. I understand why this upsets people. Still. They're demos. They'll be available *somewhere* before too long. They are not crucial; they're not even as important as single B-sides, and McCartney's catalogue is already rife with those.

That said, the multiple variant artwork/colored vinyl releases? I know it's a pandemic. I know things are tight for many people. The point, however, of those variants is NOT for somebody to go all Hoarders and purchase every single version of the album. That's not even remotely the point. They're meant for the buyer to see the available options and go "hey, I like this minimalist cover better in this color, I'll buy that!". Period.

If you are compelled to do more than that, that is your problem. Not Paul's, not the marketing team for this album, not anybody else involved. Yours.

I say that both flippantly in delivery yet seriously in intent. Compulsive buying and/or collecting is a real thing and I sympathize with anyone whose lives and/or bank accounts are affected by such practices. Go to therapy. Please.

ALSO also there's a special place in hell for those that buy all the versions and then flip a $14 album for $150 on eBay. Just saying; not letting them off the hook.

Lastly, in reference to an entirely different post: "cardboard suitcases and jigsaw puzzles"? "contrived, calculating, and cynical"? GTFO. It's merch. You can buy infant clothing with The Doors logo emblazoned on it. Merch is merch. Again, if you have to have it all, no matter how useful or relevant it may be, that's not anybody else's problem.

Rant over. You may now return to your regularly scheduled Bip Bop jokes. See y'all on page 550 in about a week. :D

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

GTFO!

gaels7592 likes this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

That doesn't sound good to me at all, not at all! I am seriously not a fan of the Firemen! I'm open minded so I won't really form an opinion yet, but now many of the reviews I've read make me skeptical. References to The Fireman and Nothing Too Much Out of Sight which I think is absolutely horrible give me pause.
    The post that said, "if you're expecting the more straight pop/rock McCartney this is not the album for you" has alerted me because that's exactly what I like from McCartney so this may be another of the very few albums that is not for me. I'll wait to hear?

Yorick likes this.
  19. Bside2Seaside

Bside2Seaside Forum Resident

Right on

20. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I saw somebody on a Beatles FB fanpage urging everyone to write a condemning letter to MPL about the CD variations. He even wrote the full address. I really can't understand people, so I'll crawl under my rock & wait until this madness blows over.

21. Bside2Seaside

Bside2Seaside Forum Resident

When Winter Comes is one of the old vocals - what is the other?

22. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Seriously?!?

Paulwalrus, Alen, theMess and 2 others like this.
  23. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Absolutely. I am still mesmerized how diverse this body of work is, including it's reception.
    For me Electric Arguments and especially Too Much Outta Sight (and Two Magpies and ...) are very much highlights and EA along with Chaos and Egypt Station are my favourite MacCa albums. Therefore I am thrilled about all these ddscriptions.
    On the other hand, while I do enjoy Bib Bob I have not yet managed in the more than 30 years of exploring and enjoying his euvre, to get through the whole of Wild Life. Or Speedway. I have listened to Broadway once completely so that I know my decision to call it the nadir of all his releases is an informed one. And I have read of people here who are enjoying both, "even that terrible one". I find all that interesting, and it does help me not to become so self-indulgent not to question myself again. Wild Life and Speedway are next on my MaCa toDoList.
    Thanks for your comment.
    That's why I do love podcasts such as Take It Away. I get another perspective on my own well formed opinions, favourites and prejudice.

24. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Chip on shoulder much??

Paulwalrus likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

No need to worry. There are some experimental stuff on the album but at least to my ears it doesn t sound much like Fireman. Slider is the one track Iv seen compared to Nothing to much(out of sight). Exept that both are heavy rock-songs I fail to see much resamblanse between them. Lavatory Lil is straightforward rock n roll. Look below Ill give you some hints
    1. Long tailed Festhered bird
    This one is a rather experimental track-semi-instrumental completely built on one gorgeous acoustic guitar riff that is repeated all through the song that s filled with tape-loops
    A very different album-opener
    2. Find My Way
    Brilliant catchy pop-music with some twists and some lovely guitar-parts. Catchy as 123
    3. Pretty Boys
    A gorgeous ballad with a vintage melody with both acoustic and Electric guitars. Would have say well on McCartney. A favorite if mine
    4 Woman and Wifes
    Paul Summins up his Lady Madonna voice for a bluesy ballad with Another vintage melody. Piano, upright bass and drums only instruments. It s brilliant and poignant
    Lavatory Lil
    A wonderful rock n roll number with s boggie beat, great guitars and snarking Call and resoonse vocals. A highlight of the album
    6 Slidin. A very heavy, anthemic slow-burnin rocker with a brilliant riff, catchy chorus and a guitar-solo that equals any from Pauls career
    6Deep, Deep Feeling
    7 8 minutes of sonic and vocal bliss. This certanely is experimental but sounds nothing like Fireman. It s just a Fantastic creation and the center of the album. Hear me-this is one of the best musical moments if Pauls career. Hear me again-this is a masterpiece
    8 Kiss of Venus
    A fantastic folky mostly acousticsong-again with a vintage McCartney melody. A very delicate song very delicate sung with Pauls fragile voice aiming for the High notes. Destined to be a classic and perhaps covered by others
    9. Seize The Day
    The one song on the album with a hint of nostalgic since there s a Beatles vibe there. Also perhaps an Egypt Station feel-I love it and it could have been a single
    10. A slice of eighties Dance, fink thing complete with synthorns Paul does many voices here. Perhaps the weskest on the album but still a nice listening at it deserves it place. Ill think it grows on me. I don t believe 78 year old when he claims to want to party all night though. Never mind that -the song bops along nicely before the grand finale
    11When Winter Comes
    After a short reprise of the opening track we are served this little wonder recorded in 1992. For me it a an instant classic acoustic McCartney Feel Goo song. I’ll follow the Sun is one that came to my mind. A perfect closing to an almost perfect album