Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

beat in a minute !

jesse likes this.
  2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Well this is just fantastic! I know how I'm going to be spending this week - following all these recommendations. I'm looking forward to taking a deep dive into George's discog. Just finished listening to a very long, very interesting interview with him in '88 promoting Cloud 9. Was enlightening. Going to start with Dark Horse because I like the name.

I'd forgotten all about this song - I remember it well now! And YES. You're absolutely right! Still a good song.

joy stinson and Sargon like this.
  3. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well... better late than a kick in the 'nads.

:magoo:

jamesward88 and Sargon like this.
  4. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

WARNING: M3 "TOY" DISCUSSION BELOW

Is yours more orange/yellow like my U.K. yellow set I got? (The mask was bright yellow, the hat was dark yellow/orange, and the t-shirt more orange than yellow for sure).
    One thing for certain, only the bright yellow mask looks like what is pictured on the U.S./U.K. PaulMccartney websites for all the yellow "toys". These yellows are VERY divergent.

Not sure if the U.K. versions are different looking than their U.S. counterparts, the idea being different manufacturing companies.

I think I get it now! The yellow hat is made in Bangladesh, the mask in Vietnam, and the shirt in Nicaragua. Of course they won't be the same tint/color. Vietnam "wins" for the closest color. I guess the "sample" ones on the P.M. sites were made in the same place.

What about the dice? Ask Badfinger. ;)

Wonder if the other colors are more consistent? I bet white was pretty easy to match. The blue hat is waaay darker than what is pictured. (The logo is very hard to see). Not my fav color anymore. Anyone have the blue shirt/mask that can weigh in on if it lighter blue like in the pictures?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  5. Not a bad medicine, Dr Sargon!

If the symptoms persist, I recommend the first Lennon, Cloud Nine for George and the Christmas album for Ringo if the holidays are approaching.
    For McCartney, the choice is vast and the styles so numerous! The second Fireman, for example, we don't think about it often but what a good record!

And I add "McCartney III", so I'm not off topic.

6. I'm agree and so sad he went so soon.

joy stinson and Sargon like this.
  7. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

You have to remember that the tour happened in April and May 2002, so it was still close to 9/11 and the desire to get active in denouncing those who dislike American ideals of freedom.
    That's not to say it's a great song, but the singalong part of the anthem combined with the general feeling of the time helped sell it.
    Whereas "C Moon" was a dud in North America — only the diehards really got it.

Non-compilations worth diving into…
    • Beatles' Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The Beatles, Abbey Road, Let it Be
    • Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, Double Fantasy
    • McCartney's McCartney, Ram, Speed Of Sound, Wings Over America, Tug Of War, Flaming Pie, Chaos And Creation… plus Rushes and Working Classical if you want more melodic/symphonic pieces on the latter two
    • Harrison's All Things Must Pass, Cloud Nine, Brainwashed… and I'd also recommend Gone Troppo
    • Starr's Ringo, Goodnight Vienna, Vertical Man, and the King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents live album when he toured with Roger Hodgson, Ian Hunter, Howard Jones, Greg Lake, Sheena E. and Mark Rivera
    The one thing you will notice as you delve into The Beatles' catalogue, together and apart, is that the hits sets are one thing, but there's a lot of hidden gems that stand out as well that are worth repeated listening to.
    They really were an astonishing creative unit and didn't stop.
    McCartney III (or •••) is just the latest example. Some songs are in his familiar comfort zone, others are scratching the surface of something different, and overall you'll be left with more tracks that you want to keep listening to.

8. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

I'd agree with you except that the pieces that he continued into the Japanese tour with Eric Clapton sound awfully close and they don't have Lynne there either.
    Plus, by comparison to Eric's 1989 album Journeyman, which features Harrison's "Run So Far" on it, has that same heaviness and isn't Lynne as well.
    It must have been the fad of the time, just like All Things Must Pass is really hurt by Phil Spector's 'wall of sound' concept.

There are some really strong pieces on Cloud Nine: the title track, "Just For Today," "Someplace Else," "When We Was Fab," "Devil's Radio."
    Volume One also has "Handle With Care" and "Heading For The Light" which are enjoyable. And you have "Cheer Down" from the same period.
    George went through spurts of creativity that resulted in some very beautiful tracks.
    I can't wait for the unreleased cuts and alternate versions to come.

In the meantime, we have a McCartney III-related release coming up soon, don't we?
    And Ringo's EP is coming soon!

maxwelledison1 and Sargon like this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yeah It was Macca, Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher, I had the CD but haven’t got it now, think they called themselves the Smoking Mojo Filters or something in 1995 for the one off charity CD.

[​IMG]
    photo upload url

DocShipe, SteveCooks and joy stinson like this.
  10. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

Yes, it was an album called Help for the War Child charity. Last year was its 25th anniversary, and it got reissued on vinyl.

joy stinson, maccawings and Carl80 like this.
  11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

12. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Truly deserved, IMO

Sargon likes this.
  13. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

This was really interesting. Should be its own thread imo.

14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Always great to see a review from you, Sean! Thanks!

— David

Sean Murdock and mrjinks like this.
  15. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

That’s the one I wanted of course..no way could afford it with med bills....a seriously cool idea...

16. joy stinson

You are a serious new fan..with the great enjoyment of discovery ahead of you....

17. joy stinson

Cuz mrs Vanderbilt, Susie and the red stripes are on it and I are on the thread ...and well, I didn’t get the thread to DR..but as we’re mentioning the album, it’s one of my underrated Macca underdog albums thst I happen to like...

18. joy stinson

They seriously slayed...

Carl80 likes this.
  19. joy stinson

...agree but it wasn’t so much that C moon was a dud in North America as that it was un played on radio because hi, hi, hi was not banned in America and was played on the radio. I know that Canada is common wealth country so if hi, hi, hi was banned in England, it was in Great Britain I think and you’re probably saying thar C moon was a dud in Canada....like the funny old ..sign about the Wings song give Ireland back to the Irish...the sign read..,banned everywhere...

Olivier Northern Son likes this.
  20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, love that M3... :shh:

21. joy stinson

This is one of my very top favorite George songs. I saw him in concert in 74. I kniw his vocals were horrifically very bad on that DH album and tour I saw.....but that was my George album....I wore it out, saw him the year he toured and he was the first solo Beatle I ever saw. I was a huge George fan then and he was my favorite Beatle. I know ATMP and his s/t album are..better as folks would rightfully claim..but this was his album of stress and turmoil in his marriage, with his vices and his money problems that forced his big tour he felt he had to do when his voice wasn’t up to it and you can hear what he was going through in such song lyrics as this. My other favorite George song is simply shady, an honest song about his troubles with his vices. These songs were George being real and not George preaching. A million likes if possible for posting this.

22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, George was the first solo Beatle that toured in the US. Yes, Paul toured UK/Europe and John did a few one-offs, but GH was the first to tour in North America since 1966.

I also think there are many good tracks on Dark Horse, and other than the title track [which he was rushed to finish recording for the LP/tour deadline] most of the vocals aren't as bad as the "Dark Hoarse" jokes and reputation would have us believe.

Now... how to tie this back to MIII... um... Deep Deep Vocals.. are good. :shrug:
    Sure, I could go off on an extended discourse about the quality of George's vocals on Dark Horse vs. Paul's vocals on McCartney III, but I choose not to...

Sargon and joy stinson like this.
  23. joy stinson

It was completely impossible for me as a young teen in the deep south just outside of Birmingham to have seen Lennon in The NYC one offs or wings in Europe....unless I ..flew......like a ...long tailed winter bird, lol, as I’m female, brit female name bird, as did well to see later, with help of older siblings, George and Paul in concert in the seventies....though I had deep, deep desires to see them. I saw the same night the George concert when Lennon played with Elton at MSG. I got extremely irritated with George’s nastiness to Paul and about the Beatles for a long, long time.,,..but your posted very sad George song...really melts my heart to him again. I’ve always maintained that solo George and just about in the later group...was their best lyricist. I now have deep, deep feelings for George again. Thanks for that post.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    jmxw, Sargon and Olivier Northern Son like this.
  24. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Friendly suggestion: maybe a mod could just take the III out of this thread title and it just becomes a general McCartney discussion thread? There are so many interesting discussions (and I would like to read your George v Paul vocals!) How would people feel about that?

25. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Wasn't sure if we are allowed to start threads based on videos, otherwise I would.

joy stinson likes this.