Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Yeah I’m looking forward to finally hearing the Lady Gaga collaboration! I honestly can’t see many people buying the soundtrack to a children’s film unless Paul’s demos are included (although it will probably gain quite a bit of attention if Lady Gaga features prominently in the soundtrack).

2. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

Most of you will be familiar with this album. But in case you aren't:
    The Ram Project, by Dave Depper
    Well, not exactly re-imagined ...

Pattch82, Durango88 and tug_of_war like this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Well, the "50th anniversary" is a date and it's coming in late May anyway.
    Nobody mentioned any kind of release (although a half speed rerelease is expected).

4. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

It's really hard for me to get excited about a 50th Ram when I already have my favorite tweed covered classic Ram archive book - along with the cds/lps with all of those bonus tracks!

That tweed book. Sometimes I can't decide if I want to look at it, hold it, smell it, open it, read it, or play it. Sometimes all of the above!
    That release was a blessing. I'm set for the rest of my life. A great problem for sure!

But hey, . . . bring on that "Footnote Fiftieth!" ;)

Durango88, Who Cares, omikron and 7 others like this.
  5. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I didn't get an opportunity to buy a proper Archive Collection for 'Ram' and now it's hardly impossible to get one (for a reasonable price) apart from the CD, so a new special release would be very welcome for me :)

crossroads69 and whisper3978 like this.
  6. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

So it's FINALLY gone? It was available on Amazon, sold by them when I check a few months ago for a really reasonable price, much lower than other retail archive books. So sad to see it go.

Edit: Please know I wasn't trying to "gloat" about owning it. I didn't know it was in "scalper" hands now until I just read your response. (I've just always adored this release - on every level).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    omikron and Oyster Boy like this.
  7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Ditto, it’s the nicest box set I own.

Sargon likes this.
  8. tug_of_war

Man, I bought it on release date but imo it was a missed opportunity.
    I mean, what's that 1980s version of "A Love For You"? It would make more sense on "Press To Play".
    Why they included that instead of a contemporary version is beyond me.
    Not to mention several other omissions...

joy stinson and linklinc like this.
  9. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

They should re-release it. Or release the book on its own.

Who Cares, Sargon and James McCartney like this.
  10. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I love this set, but I "gets" you here. Seems like the McCartney's, Harrison cd boxes, etc., will leave things off we want and (occasionally) include things that leave us scratching our heads.
    Sometimes I just wish they would grab a big fan like one of us and say, 'Hey, What would you like to see included that would make you want to buy AND that makes sense to include?"

Unfortunately the companies act like the "casual" fans they are and don't realize how many more things we would buy (or at least enjoy more), if they just put a bit more historical relevancy into the releases. It doesn't take a Beatles historian to know about some of these glaring omissions. Sometimes they can't even be bothered to include an obvious b-side on a compilation release. I feel like if you got in touch with a record executive about not including a rarity, they'd go, "Huh? Whaa? Where?" (and then start to "google" what you are bringing up to them!) :disgust:

Many missed opportunities abound for sure.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Durango88, linklinc, JeffreyB and 3 others like this.
  11. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

McCartney, though, likes to keep tracks exclusive to albums in order to make them all worth purchasing.
    Just look at Wings' Greatest: originally home to 5 non-album tracks (plus "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" without the overlap), it goes down to two after three appear on All the Best! in 1987, then one after the 1993 remasters — but it's not until 2014 and the special edition of Venus And Mars (and/or the Archive) that the last track is repeated. That's 36 years!
    And All the Best! is still worth tracking down in the UK since it has an exclusive edit of "Once Upon a Long Ago," which – thanks to the present process of going without the bonus tracks on albums – means it's the only version… the 1993 Press to Play CD with the 12" 'long version' on it is now gone.

For David Bowie's Lazarus, there's a special edition CD with the Bowie recordings for the show. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens for It's a Wonderful Life.
    High in the Clouds might make an EP or special edition bonus as well.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's not clear at this point that High in the Clouds will even have a soundtrack album.

13. James McCartney

Most films today come with a soundtrack album, and if Paul McCartney is doing the music... I’d say it’s very likely. Also, Michael Giacchino has worked with Paul on the film’s score.

14. He was perhaps the first business man with a rock'n roll background, that's what loved John.

15. foreverrock

foreverrock Forum Resident

Rerelease the two McCartney ones and the Venus and Mars ones too.. I refuse to pay $500 for them :D

Paulwalrus likes this.
  16. But there are already some McCartney soundtracks not available.

17. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

oh there will be albums...and their will be colors, cloud white, sky blue....etc etc

18. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Such as…?

Floater and James McCartney like this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of release. We don't even know how many songs there are yet. But I'd imagine at the very least a digital release. That's been the standard as far as Netflix tie-ins.

20. James McCartney

21. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Seems to me he's just focusing more on the positive.

It's not either like things had gone from 1971 to 1980. They HAD gotten their friendship back. They just had another falling out, but not really a serious one.

22. Anthony B.

Anthony B. Forum Resident

James McCartney likes this.
  23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I don’t feel they’re ever lost their friendship - any of them. They had a falling out, sure, but I don’t think it was anything that destroyed what went before.

Lewisboogie, Floater and Paulwalrus like this.
  24. James McCartney

Steve Orchard (Paul’s studio engineer) says right at the end that they “have several projects in the pipeline [for this year] but can’t say what they are”.

25. tug_of_war

Secret projects in the pipeline for this year; RAM turns 50 this year.
    Oh and by October 2020 Paul was reportedly working on more music, maybe a new album is in the works..
    Ok, I can dream... :love:

Who Cares, Elliottmarx and AppleCorp3 like this.