Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yes that's right. I might be wrong, and he could mean it the other way, but to me that makes more sense within the context of the question. If it was something like, "What was the best thing which happened to you this year?" I'd see it more as a dig.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  2. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Third single
    Slidin’ EOB remix

3. James McCartney

Worst remix I’ve ever heard.

4. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Sooooo. You must be a mole, working for MPL! NOBODY can be that fast posting new Macca Videos. It's here before I got a notification from YouTube. Very suspicious o_O

Weird Remix, though

Paulwalrus and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  5. James McCartney

Hahaha, if I were a mole this wouldn’t have been a single!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Elliottmarx and Sargon like this.
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Yeah not great, seems like a redundant exercise for me...

joy stinson likes this.
  7. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I got to 32 seconds...omg...I started laughing! This is my 2nd favourite song from Macca III and wow...just wow...what can I say?

8. Nicolas1234

Nicolas1234 Forum Resident

Three singles so far - only the Dominic Fike's one does something for me ...

9. Durango88

That's exactley what a mole would say... :magoo:

jmxw, Sargon and James McCartney like this.
  10. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

YouTube comments are positive though. Good lord, what are they hearing that I'm not? lol. I still haven't made it through the entire song yet...it just makes me want to listen to the original.

11. James McCartney

I give The Kiss of Venus an 8.5
    Find My Way a 7.
    Slidin’ a 3 because the synth in the chorus is ok?

Elliottmarx likes this.
  12. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

OK, I've got through the whole song. That felt like the sonic equivalent of being dragged backwards through a hedgerow.

What was he trying to achieve? Was he trying to make it punk? But then what was the synth supposed to add? I would have thought you'd go more synthy and psychedelic or new wavish or slightly Duran Duran -ish with that song as it does lend itself to that style. I wouldn't have sped it up but actually slowed it down further and made it weird and dream like, slightly dystopian sounding like Road.

13. GolemZGLM

GolemZGLM Forum Resident

WOW, that Slidin remix is amazing, I think I prefer it to the original song tbh, gives be a lot of faith for the rest of the tracks

14. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Ok, you have GOT to explain why you like it. Please. :laugh: No way can you just leave it at that.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  15. GolemZGLM

GolemZGLM Forum Resident

I posted that without looking at the other comments here so I didn't really know the reception here was bad, but yeah it's a lot more fast-paced and heavier, I found the original kinda bland, but this one is a real headbanger. tbh I'm not the most technical person when it comes to music production, so I can't break it down and dissect it like others did, but I did enjoy it.

16. Durango88

I enjoyed "The Kiss of Venus" immediately, a very catchy version of a very catchy song. At the chorus, when he sings "has got me OOOOON THE GOOO" ? Wow, that's powerful.

"Find my way" goes on way to long without anything interesting happening...it's not bad, some nice aspects, but they could have keep it short or make it even more weird. But it's ambling along and that's pretty much it. IMO, if ccourse.

This new one? Slidin'? Fist I thought it's just a sped up version. Listened to it again and uhm... Yet I don't know what to do with it. This one needs some time, I suppose

17. Durango88

That's okay, you should stand by your opinion, whether the others like it or not. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. Simple as that :righton:

18. I like the sort of urgency in this new remix.

Very often, remixes are for dance, this one rocks!

19. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I bought it and I was 22 at the time and actually fully embraced a lot of the eighties stuff by other artists. But as far as Paul was concerned I had been a fan since London Town and bought everything on release, so would say by then I was almost an ‘older’ fan having bought his back catalogue as well, but PTP was too much for me and to be honest I still don’t fully get it. I couldn’t even get through the video of Press when it was shown on an old U.K. edition of Top of the Pops.
    I left the Macca party at this point, only buying the Once Upon a Long Ago single on release until buying Flaming Pie in 97. Some of his singles in that ten plus year period like Biker Like an Icon and Hope for Deliverance didn’t grab me back and reiterated I’d made the right choice. The only one I truly liked was This One. Of course, the archive for FITD changed my perception of some of that period and I’m hoping a PTP archive might do the same.

JeffreyB, joy stinson and Paulwalrus like this.
  20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I'm glad you like it. I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic with my question. I genuinely wanted to know why you like it as sometimes knowing what someone else sees in a song helps me to see it in a different light. But I get that it can be hard to explain why you like something. Your ears like what they like!

21. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I like the new Slidin'. For me it's closest to the original. Dominic Fike really made Kiss of Venus his own, it's like a sister to the original and I love both. Beck has re-done the music but kept the vocals for Find My way and for me they work individually but the song is less than the sum of its parts not more. I find myslf peferring the original. This remix of Slidin' is still the same song it's just dropped out of college, developed an amphetamine habit and become the black sheep of the family. However, as a rock out banger I can definitely enjoy it.

22. James McCartney

I just wish EOB would have done something more with the track. It's a lazy remix IMO. He just sped it up, added a couple of effects and removed half of Rusty's solo. We expect more from a single for a Paul McCartney project.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Ed O'Brien is a guitarist and singer/songwriter/arranger, not a pro remixer

24. James McCartney

Then I really wish he'd made a cover instead of a remix.

25. James McCartney

Praising McCartney as “an extraordinary musician”, O’Brien told BBC Radio 6 Music’s Nemone this morning about working with producer Paul Epworth on the remix of ‘Slidin”.

“I really liked [Slidin’], and so I said to Paul Epworth, would you fancy getting stuck in? He was really up for it. It was great,” O’Brien said. “A moment of light in the darkness of the winter that’s just been. We had a lot of fun. Got into [McCartney’s] vocals and added some chaos, some guitar – my reference point was ‘Helter Skelter’, ramp up the intensity!”

Listen to Radiohead’s Ed O’Brien remix Paul McCartney's 'Slidin''