Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Yeah perhaps it'd been better to let Epworth do more of the beat-heavy remixing he does with Phones, but I guess Macca wanted Ed to do it...

Odds are that EOB eventually will perform a cover version when live shows come back, his new band was right in the middle of a tour when everything shut down

James McCartney likes this.
  2. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I've listened to this multiple times now and each listening confirms my initial impression. As you say, it's lazy. He's sped it up, mangled the vocals and added some completely random effects which sound like something my teenage son would come up with on one of his phone apps. This is a missed opportunity for someone of his stature and experience. EOB is no stranger to intriguing sonic textures and moods and I just expected way more artistically from him.

Also, why would Helter Skelter be your point of reference? Why not take the song on its own merit? Ramp up the intensity? Slidin' already has an intensity of its own. Look forward, not back. I can't help feeling he was a bit overawed by the project and just bottled it.

3. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

I agree. I fear that artists in this project have been too afraid to experiment and take risks because of the intimidating prospect of working for Paul. I hope the rest of the tracks are more imaginative, although this one being the third single worries me a bit.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  4. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

It is interesting that Dominic Fike has so far been the more inventive risk taker and he's also one of the younger ones. Maybe it helps to have that bit of generational distance? His effort has 1.2 mil views, which is great to see.

5. beatlesblogger

beatlesblogger Forum Resident

Your list has inspired me. I think we now have enough variations now to warrant another one of these:
    [​IMG]

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't think EOB was intimidated by this project, after all he is in Radiohead... but he was a poor choice on Paul's part. Just skip the middle man and hire Epworth next time

7. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

ahhh good old Music Machine

8. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Slidin more fast, very lazy remix.

9. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Ed O'Brien on Instagram:

"Thank you to @paulmccartney for asking me to rework Slidin’ ...
    I was in the studio with @paulepworth when the track came through .. the brief was to do whatever we wanted with the song .. so we got to work.... helter skelter felt like a good reference point .. ramp up the intensity and add a dose of chaos.... Thank you to Paul Epworth and his engineer Riley McIntyre.. and of course thank you to the great man himself Paul McCartney... hope you like it.."

10. Love Music Machine... buy many promo cds in the good old days

mrjinks likes this.
  11. GolemZGLM

GolemZGLM Forum Resident

Beck has vocals, but they're so hidden in the song that you can't enjoy them, I would love to hear a mix with Beck emphasized, because as it is, the remix is just a more repetitive version of the original to me

12. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

There's definitely been much less of a scramble in the UK for the various III Imagined album editions than for the original III.
    Collectors perhaps getting buyer's fatigue.
    Only format sold out so far is the splatter vinyl.

All other 'limited' formats still available for pre-order in the UK on top of standard black vinyl & cd.....
    Gold (HMV): McCartney III Imagined | Vinyl 12" Album | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store
    Light Green (Spotify): McCartney III Imagined Spotify Exclusive Vinyl
    Pink (McCartney Store): Pink Vinyl - McCartney III Imagined
    Dark Green (UDiscover): McCartney III Imagined - Limited Edition Exclusive Transparent Dark Green 2LP

Chris K

Who Cares and Paul H like this.
  13. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

”rework”:D

14. Just listened to it. Thought it was fantastic.

15. P.S. @lennonology — I’m baaaack! TFA issues have been sorted so I can log on again.

16. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I wonder how this fits in the sonic palette of its neighboring songs. After living with them a few weeks the Beck and the Fike are good neighbors, they work together. The EOB doesn't work with either, here's hoping it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb. I am not a fan of what he has done - if I were him, I'd be embarrassed to hear that Fike and Beck took chances and created something new - something that took more than a few hours and a couple knob twists.

We will see, as I've been thinking all along, this album is a tool to get McCartney a new, younger audience - it is not designed for us, per se. If we like it, bonus for us (and them.) If this gets added to Spotify rock playlists and algorithmed to younger rock ears, then it is a success.

Also, Wednesday is a strange day for a release, I think we may get another one tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I too was initially shocked when the sped up vocal came on. This "train wreck" made me actually want to literally cancel some of my extra orders of this album. But after a few listens, . . . .
    This thing is REALLY GROWING on me! Edit: (sargon surrenders) . . . I LOVE it! (gulp!). . . :ignore:I NEED it! :ignore:

Kinda reminds me of the "laidback" vs "blistering" differences between:
    Revolution on the White Album vs Revolution as a single on Hey Jude. (Single is my absolute favorite).
    Slidin' on McCartney III vs Slidin' as a remix on McCartney Imagined. (Original is my favorite).

I "likes" em all for different reasons.:shh:. As long as they let me keep both versions, I'm "win-win" fine.

I'm officially addicted to the rocked out "blistering chaos" of these sped up versions from 1968 and 2021. :drool::drool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    jmxw, FLF, Paulwalrus and 6 others like this.
  18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The amazing experience of McCartney's music continues! He just can't please everyone no matter what he does, now it's just a sped-up lazy remix?!
    Well, what McCartney is doing is making me like songs that I initially couldn't stand! Now I'm up to three songs from this album that I like...
    Beck's Find My Way
    Slidin remix - It flat out rocks!
    and this is my go to cover for Lavatory Lil...I know it's not on the album.

foxylady, fer2, tug_of_war and 8 others like this.
  19. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

That guy sings Monkberry Moon Delight in the new Ram On cover album.
    Let’s see what Josh Homme’s cover of Lavatory Lil sounds like...

Who Cares, joy stinson and maccafan like this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Solid.

CDC, Elliottmarx, joy stinson and 3 others like this.
  21. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

True that. But what I really like about this remix is that I finally can hear the higher vocal harmony perfectly fine, as it seems to be isolated from all those vocal layers from the original - during the verses. As much as I love the original, I wish they would done the same thing there. Those vocals are smoking hot!!! Wow 78 year old Paul screaming his a** off! But in the original version, this higher harmony is very much buried underneath the lower vocal part (s?) and all those layers. Shame, since that upper register vocal track is fantastic!

22. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

The good thing is, it's been improved and it flat out rocks!

23. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

The Lavatory Lil cover you linked to is great!

Who Cares, maccafan and joy stinson like this.
  24. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

If he would have stripped down the vocal tracks in the original to this one, similar to the remix, I wouldn't just love "Slidin'" - it would have blown me completely away.

joy stinson likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I enjoy the re-mix of Slidin
    Really do
    Just a piece of fun
    And
    It Rocks
    Taste differs but this time I just don t get the criticism