Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Yeah, the intro promises so much more than the song actually delivers. I love the intro, but the rest of the song puts me to sleep.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Will we get a new video this Friday with the album release?
    Maybe Phoebe Bridgers’ Seize the Day :shh:

kaniffee, Elliottmarx and Bemagnus like this.
  3. James McCartney

4. James McCartney

“…while Damon Albarn’s dubby take on ‘Long Tailed Winter Bird’ provides the previously instrumental track with a dash of Gorillaz-style character”

5. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Wow, so nice to see you around, but actually as this is the place it shouldn't come much as a surprise, really.
    As I really like what you two didnto Sliding, please let me opt for a complete version of that one. Winter is already acoustic.
    You are a very nice discovery, I am enjoying your music.
    Honestly, you are modest not to show off with what you achieved with Maybe I'm Amazed. Such an iconic tune, but you have turned it around and made it yours. Definitely I'm amazed by what you are doing.
    To quote to elderly Scotsmen high in the Swiss alps munching on a rare chese:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  6. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Have to be honest, for a love song I don't really go by what males think, for me, it's about the ladies, and from what I've seen the ladies absolutely love the song!
    The message is absolutely spot on and represents how so many people feel about that special someone, an example of McCartney's lyrics being absolutely on target. It's just a great song, I would put it in the top ten of his great Ballads!

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Feel free to ignore my posts :)

9. Really? I think it’s fantastic. I’ve thought about getting this soundtrack to see if the mastering is any better than that on Chaos.

10. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Very encouraging, and I was hoping for 3D getting to do Deep Deep Feeling. McCartney meets Massive Attack, which song would have been more suitable? I am excited and hoping that I'll like it as much as I am hoping to ...
    The most interesting bit from today's point of view though is hidden behind the link to their original MIII review from last year:
    Knowing now that Beck did get to do especially this track ... ... ...

Both are reviews worth reading, for (I hope) albums worth hearing.
    It's funny, without even trying I am finding within me some truly remarkable albums that I retrospectively feel describe in a nutshell where I was during a certain decade. McCartney III feels very much as part of those, even though it's still much too early to tell, obviously. It may just get an honorable mention in the end, but still that'll put it into some extremely good company.

You may skip this as I indulge myself and discovering that Beatles / McCartney connections are to be discovered even at the most unexpected places ...

1980s Tears For Fears: Seeds Of Love
    I was only finding music and my taste, on this transition from child to whoever. TFF got played a lot by other children, Shout, Everybody etc, and as I was developing to become the Beatles geek I am today, discovering all their albums, Seeds obviously clicked. Plus I spent many hours listening with (cheap) headphones, trying to hear as much as possible of that deep production.
    Honorable mention: The Beatles' Greatest, the first album I bought from my own money 1985.
    1990s Hedningarna: Trä
    No, Nevermind as much as it was highly important, Hedningarna still is more inclusive of who I am in a broader sence. But Nirvana get the honorable mention. And I always loved In Utero even more, besides the tracks, it's deliberately more raw sound is amazing. But it's been Nevermind that obviously shook up so much.
    2000s Brian Wilson presents SMiLE and The Beach Boys' SMiLE Sessions (Yes, the box set was 2011, but I was listening so much during the years before it was merely just a closure. Seeing Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds live 2002 was another highlight, opening a remarkably anremarkable year that turned out to be of life changing significance repesented by Tim Croce's Time In A Bottle.) Honorable mention: Coil with a tiny overlap to the 90s but a bunch of records need to get mentioned: "Time Machines", "The Circulating Library", "Musick To Play In The Dark Vol 1+2", "Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil" (Coil as we know link to McCartney via Cristopherson's employment for Hipgnosis and his rejected Tug Of War cover)
    2010s A. B. Original: Reclaim Australia (which was most powerful in a TripleJ live at Splender 2017 broadcast, that had me sitting at work casually listening and suddenly I was sitting there crying because it was a beautiful moment of hope for change).
    Fun fact: they feature aboriginal singer Thelma Plum on the album's track I.C.U., who would just a few years later have McCartney sneaking a guitar onto her song. He heard their producer Kahne have her "Made For You"on repeat, liked it and lay down some guitar without her knowing. It's said he also knew the great, great, great Paul Kelly whom she co-wrote this with. I am a bit sad she isn't in that iconic life set by A.B. Original I mentioned, above, I guess she was too busy. Caiti Baker got to sing her part, and she's very much worth seeking out, too.
    It's just amzingly insane where unexpected Beatles connections arise!
    Billie Eilish's "WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO" deserves at
    least an honorable mention, as her and her brother Fineas' production have been reinforced the urge in me to get back to field recording as a source for sounds and creation, as their ASMR production just hits me, theirs is the most creative and adventurous while accessible production I have did not expect, to me their talent to mix avant-garde and pop is very comparable (in my world) to the Sgt. Pepper era of The Beatles. I am still astonished they are not on Reimagined, especially as she has worked with Stella. Yet another connection.
    2020s: I know this decade is still young, therefore I am far from knowing who and which record will be possibly lend itself to represent my state of mind and being, but right now McCartney III feels like high on the shortlist. It's so intimate, creative, restrained, playful, powerful, I just have to love it. But as mentioned, it's not me who makes these choices, it's life and the albums themselves.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  11. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

Men love too, you know. :agree: Just sayin'...

hEARt PhoniX, Tracey and Sargon like this.
  12. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Sexist...

hEARt PhoniX and Cast Iron Shore like this.
  13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Why on earth should a lady be better at judging a love-song than a man. It s been a long time since I saw sentiments like that exoressed
    Weird as that somewhat neandhertal look at the emotional skills of men and women seems I have s confession
    Im a man
    I enjoy love songs
    It never Happened before is a good (love)-song

14. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know. It was a very bizarre statement. If it was in good faith, what can be said? He has an old fashioned, perhaps quaint take on gender roles. In many ways, that's his loss. Perhaps though it was just a bit of trolling.

I lament the amount of love songs that exist - there are other topics which interest me more - but I am as capable of evaluating them as anyone else.

Bemagnus likes this.
  15. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs. And what's wrong with that?

16. James McCartney

17. James McCartney

18. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

McCartney III Imagined is on Spotify in NZ now.

First impressions

I love the Phoebe Bridgers cover of Seize the Day. It's beautiful, dreamy and somehow a little more wistful sounding. She has made it her own.

I really like the new version of Pretty Boys with Khruangbin and I like what Blood Orange have done with their remix of Deep Down.

I really liked the original Women and Wives with its unvarnished and somber feel but I also really love what St Vincent have done with it. Their re-imagining really enhances and adds another dimension.

Damon Albarn's remix of Long Tailed Winter Bird is pretty cool. It's really different to the original even though it has common elements obviously. It clocks in at 4:10 so a lot shorter than the original. It's very creative he's brought a really different take to it.

I think I prefer Josh Homme's Lavatory Lil to the original. He's made it a lot less "of a straight rocker" and it has a more of a seedy underbelly now, it sort of slithers along. Ha I am completely hopeless at describing music :)

When Winter Comes with Anderson Paak just doesn't work for me I confess I probably feel about that one the way some of you did about Slidin' (which I liked) it feels like they've taken that lovely acoustic song with it's simplicity and taken it to a cabaret lounge and corrupted it's pure heart. But hey I'm sure someone will like it. That's the great thing about McCartney's fandom one person's "meh" is someone elses - "wow that was great".

Deep Deep Feeling has had sex with Temporary Secretary and the lovechild has then had sex with "Road" or the Fireman's "Highway" and this new version is the off-spring. Hmmm it's one of those it'll take a few listens songs but hey if there's anyone who thought McCartney III didn't quite match McCartney II's trips to the weird side - well this one is for you folks! It clocks in at over 11 minutes so if you do like it - well there's a lot of it to like.

Anyway I think this album is a real treat and it's interesting to hear these songs re-imagined.

My favourites are Phoebe Bridgers and Dominic Fike's so far but that may change when I've listened to it a few more times.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  19. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I don't think @maccafan trolls. He very much says what he believes, not that I wish to speak for him, but that's what I've gathered. To be clear, I wasn't criticising him; just reminding him of exactly what you have stated: that men are capable of a wide range of emotions, same as women, and are also capable of having an opinion on a love song.

After all, some of the greatest odes to love - in song and literature - were written by men. Look at our Beatles. John and Paul composed many heartfelt songs about love. And beyond them, the likes of Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley et.al wrote extensively about what it is to love, be loved, be unloved...all of it. Shakespeare tops them all, having written some of the most beautiful experiences of love known to the English language.

I don't mind love songs as long as they're good. Like Silly Love songs of course! :winkgrin:

20. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

You had me at THAT sentence. That's it. I am sold. I don't need to know any more. I already love it. :love: omg I can't WAIT to hear this!

Edit: I calmed down enough to read the rest of your paragraph and then you got my heart rate up again by mentioning ROAD. In the same sentence as Deep Deep Feeling. And WEIRD SIDE. And 11 minutes long!!! I'm not gonna be able to handle all the feels for this one.

My fantasy was to have Slidin' fused with Road but if it's somewhere in Deep Deep Feeling then that's EVEN BETTER. :pineapple:

21. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Can you tell what from the original mix is still there in the Phoebe Bridgers version of the song? It's listed as "Feat. Phoebe Bridgers" so I was assuming it's her singing and some added instrumentation, but also is based on some of the stems from the original.

Mkirk likes this.
  22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Am I right in thinking that tomorrow's download will feature one less track than the CD, and that the CD doesn't come out until July? I know the vinyl arrives in July.

23. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Man, have I given this album a go over the last three months and it has just not clicked with me at all. I'm very disappointed. Couldn't even post on here because everyone seemed so ecstatic and I was just not feeling it, even as someone who liked the more disliked tracks on Egypt Station (i.e. 'Fuh You'). Oh well, I'll play Ram some more and wait until the next Archive Collection.

Ringo Hendrix and Paul H like this.
  24. Mkirk

Mkirk Forum Resident

I think your assumption is spot on. It's Phoebe Bridgers vocal and she's added instrumentation. There's no longer any mention of toes and Eskimo's so there's been a small lyrical change we have stores and carnivores now. It is based on the stems from the original though but from the opening bars the songs are very different. I think she's done a beautiful job with the vocal too.

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

A cursory search for "Anderson Paak When Winter Comes" on Google reveals Paul's YouTube channel started uploading these four hours ago. Time to break out the VPN.