Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Lot of speculation, but as far as I know, none of us know the details of his current contract.
    It could be spelled out how many albums he has to deliver.
    I have seen no evidence that Paul is winding down, in fact he seems busier than in most times.
    Unlike some of his peers, his albums chart well (for a week or two at least) and generate a lot of buzz.

So much reading between the lines. The idea that it didn't go well with Watt is completely pretend.
    McCartney wasn't in LA to record, he was here for other reason. Squeezing time in doesn't mean one-off,
    it could equally mean, let's do some more of this when we both have time.

Also, let's remember the genesis of McCartney III - he wasn't making an album, until he realized that he was.

2. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

jesse, Ringo Hendrix, coco77 and 4 others like this.
  3. Elliottmarx

I'm so glad that I'm immune to the stresses of feeling that I need to buy a physical copy of anything.
    I do feel badly though for collectors as having so many editions out, may be causing anxiety and
    a reevaluation of their hobbies and priorities.

4. I suppose the next project is the musical comedy.

5. How do you do that? Tibetan journey, tea smoke?

What is your secret? You can save lifes (and wifes), here!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  6. tug_of_war

Yeah, same here. I got one vinyl copy and that's all. I don't feel the need to buy anything else.

And by the way, I completely destroyed the shrinkwrap and I play the record almost every day. And boy, I enjoy it.

7. Elliottmarx

It is just a fluke of my personality.
    I do not particularly like owning things.
    I get my clothes from a charity store or bargain outlet.
    Every night I read, but am happiest when the book is from the library.
    Every day I play guitar, it is the same one I've been playing since 1989.
    I occasionally go to the guitar store to browse, I never ever consider buying one.
    I splurge on restaurants, concerts and theater, and travel - and I save for the ultimate splurge, which if
    I stick to the plan, will be retirement by my mid-50's.

8. kaniffee

kaniffee Well-Known Member

I think there is a concern environmentally for how much extra plastic is being created and wasted when companies expect superfans to buy 12 versions of an album. Yes some of it is on the fans who buy that many versions (and also the resell collectors market), but it's never really gonna stop unless it's cut off at the source. Companies need to stop offering that many variations in the first place. Of course it's not exculsive to Paul, the trend is bigger than him, but it's still bad, and his latest albums have played a part in that.

9. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Watch Put It There. He's asked in 1989 about retirement and says it will never happen. He can't stop creating.
    McCartney III happened because he was supposed to tour and couldn't. He had extra time to play around in the studio and realized he had an album of material, so he released it.
    It's not the first time it happened: Flaming Pie was not asked for by the record company when he handed them it to release — it was finished as far as he was concerned, and he did dive into the archives for that ones as well for photos and songs.

He's definitely got songs sitting unreleased. He's still wanting to work with certain producers. There is a definite plan to do more when he can… but he's not locking himself into an album frame of mind at the moment.
    He may not have the songs, he may be too busy – and he still has to have an opportunity to get the band back together for performing. Glastonbury must still be in the cards, albeit delayed another year.

Remember: this was the Beatle who wanted to go back to touring, then took years off and felt the itch again. This was the musician who gave us album after album when most of his peers had stopped and loves every one of them.

The only reason I would say Lyrics and the documentary are coming now is his age: like Tony Bennett, Paul McCartney has gone from pop star to pop legend, and with Bennett now losing his memory – he has dementia in his 90s – there must be a feeling that they want to get it down now.
    The Archives have really opened up Paul's memory as well, and he seems a lot happier because of that and the way the present band looks at Wings (as well as his own kids' views) to talk about that and what they accomplished.

Similarly, I think Mary's documentary on Abbey Road Studios is apt at the moment, given the age of people who have recorded major albums there.
    It's hard to believe that some of these musicians are in their 70s now and still going — but their numbers are dwindling. And same goes for some of the other names who recorded there too, like John Williams.
    Get it down now before they are gone.

Echoes In The Canyon is a great celebration of a major moment in pop music — and then you realize Tom Petty left us soon after. Brian Wilson needs help getting up and walking. And so on.

10. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Yes please don't misunderstand my post. I don't think Paul is slowing down at all, at least not in the near future of the next two years. My larger point is that he doesn't have to create an LP to stay productive, on the contrary I think if he's shifting to a more single/one-off-oriented approach collaborating with lots of different people in the next year or two, that could result in him being MORE productive than if he were to go away for months on end to make a new 10-12 song LP, then wait through the traditional build-up phase and promotion, etc, which all told can consume a year or more of time just for one album.

Ringo Hendrix, bward and Elliottmarx like this.
  11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Ha! Good point about compilations. They are almost always out of date not long after release if the artist is still among the living. I don't mean to say Paul is stopping writing and recording, just that III could be his final solo pop-rock LP, not his final songs by any means, that's all. If he had intentions to record a new album this year or next year with strong and clear ideas and intent to do that, I would think he'd just wait to put out Lyrics when it includes that next album's material, since the project seems to be an autobiography of sorts, told through the creation of the songs, not just a "lyrics book."

12. Elliottmarx

No, I understand your point. And it is valid.
    But all of his work for High in the Clouds, It's a Wonderful Life, and all of the documentaries is long done with.
    Sure, there will be publicity and promo work, but that's it. A rewrite here or there is to be expected, but beyond that
    he's done with all of those things, and has been for 18 months at least.
    I'm pretty confident (based on nothing) that he used the second half of lockdown
    to finish the soundcheck album - if such a thing exists.

Maybe he'll be done with full length LPs someday, but I'd guess he's working on one right now - in the chasm between
    having written the musical and animated film and their release.
    After the next big tour, he may be too pooped for more, and I bet he's aware of that.

13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

How much did he work on it if it doesn't exist?

14. bward

bward Senior Member

I hope you are right.

Im mostly looking at his age. And thinking how far out he must be from even thinking about putting together a new album.

This could put him in his 80s.

And I was struck by his reaction to Ed O’Briens question about whether the new song was part of a new album. He just kind of sighed and rolled his eyes.

I’m probably reading way too much into it. The guy is a workaholic.

Pure speculation on my part, obviously.

But if he decided to call it a day on his own recording career, I wouldn’t be surprised.

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If it does exist, then he spent two weeks straight working on it. If it doesn't exist, then he's really been slacking off!

Elliottmarx likes this.
  16. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

At some moment I thought the same that is being mentioned here: Macca III, lyrics... what's going on? is this the end?
    I don't think he's done with producing new content. I agree with the argument saying that Lyrics would be a way of putting all the memories down into something, before they go away (which sadly happens).
    What I think could happen is some sort of cut on his touring. Maybe he starts giving some concerts in Europe, maybe in the US too. He has said in numerous interviews he will be playing live as long as his body allows him to do it.
    All of this is speculation, obviously.
    I personally think he could be doing other kind of records in the future, with vocals more suited to his current voice.

17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

If M3 is the result of McCartney producing himself for a change, I really hope he continues doing this. Such a fresh, different, and stellar release (me thinks). That album took hold of me and never let go.

18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yeah forget the Producer/Flavor of the day, make it yourself for yourself.
    When we first heard that Paul was in lockdown and recorded this thing I got a good vibe and it turned out good.

SteveCooks, tug_of_war and Sargon like this.
  19. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not to be dark but I still feel like Paul made Egypt Station as though it were his last. It wasn’t my favorite record of his by any means but it came after a hiatus and seemed an attempt to get a hit (Fuh You) and had a lot of lyrical messages to get out. (People Want Peace, Who Cares, Despite Repeated Warnings)

Oh, and it ends with the lyrics “so long now”.

And he tried to make it an “album” album.

McCartney III could be seen as the bonus encore, the coda.

20. tug_of_war

OMG!!! :eek:

Ringo Hendrix and Rorsontherun like this.
  21. Elliottmarx

It is a bizarre assumption that Paul is done making albums. We have all just made this up, based on nothing.

If anything, according to Instagram conversations from only last week, Paul went to meet with producer Andrew Watt because - and this is important, because his manager suggested that he do so.

Manager was right, and within hours of meeting Watt and McCartney were recording. By the next day, McCartney was back at Watt's finishing off the track.

Why would Paul want to meet a 30 year old American producer? To trade vegetarian recipes? Of course not. Why would Paul's manager even suggest meeting a new producer if he new his client was retiring? Absurd.

Nothing Paul has said has indicated he is done making albums. Sure, he rolled his eyes when asked if he was making another. But he was in the midst of promoting his current one, and rarely reveals his hand when it comes to future plans.

He said McCartney III was a bonus, but the circumstances matter, he fully expected to be temporarily playing a new role in 2020, that of musical theater songwriter. Because he was not doing that he recorded a 'bonus' rock album. He has not referred to it as a coda.

I also don't think he's going to limit himself to just singles either - his work is getting more expansive (Despite Repeated Warning, Hunt You Down, Deep Deep Feeling) and I think he's feeling liberated by his own elder statesman status. He's allowing himself to get more whimsical, more mercurial, freakier. He knows no single will crack even the top 200, whereas most of his albums hit the top 5.

I suspect Green Submarine (and whatever else we've yet to hear about) was/is also a bonus because-of-covid project. It's just a bonus, not the end.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  22. Yes. Remains me MAF more than McCartney II or I.

Sargon likes this.
  23. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Given that McCartney won't be touring any time soon and that, as noted, his involvement in It's a Wonderful Life is mostly done (I wouldn't be surprised if that project got shelved too), I could easily see him using his time writing and recording new material as well as tidying up some loose ends: finishing off some half-written songs, properly recording some things that never made it past demo stage etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new album, maybe not this year, but certainly in 2022.

Tord, Dr. Pepper, Oyster Boy and 4 others like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well the man is closin in on 80 so the end is certanely nearer
    Of course no-one knows when

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, so many of Paul's projects have never come to fruition.

Therefore, Paul will be combining ALL of his shelved/unfinished projects into one musical opus. Prepare yourselves for:

It's A Wonderful Life While High In The Clouds Doing Soundchecks As A Guitar Concerto Of Cold Cuts

;)