Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

Am I the only one who can't listen to 'Deep Deep Feeling' because the lyrics are so cringey? I really want to like it, I see your fascination. I'm not even a native speaker ...

gibtti likes this.
  2. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

:righton::righton::righton:
    It's great to be able to read posts like this (three in a row in fact), this far into the M3 thread. Obviously this album still has it's hold on many of us.
    Very fresh takes on a very fresh album. Clearly, it hasn't all been said before. Thanks for posting your perspectives guys. Fully agree! :agree:

M3 has earned it's place as one of my favorite McCartney albums. It's different than my other favorites such as Ram, Band, and Venus, holding it's own place on it's own very unique merits. This album is very unique in his catalog. So much so, it has the power to deeply repel or attract, with me being firmly in the latter group.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  3. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Forgot to mention New, another favorite of mine. (He has A LOT of great albums!) I really enjoyed Egypt Station too.

I listened to Egypt heavily until M3 came out. Still waiting for new release repeated listening saturation to occur with M3. It's part of the reason why I've conceded this album's top position along with my other favorite Macca albums.

I was quite fine before M3 came out. But now I couldn't imagine this album not being in his catalog or in arms reach from me at home or in my car. It's that seminal (for me).

I completely respect the views of many who don't like this release. I like reading different critical takes about this album. For me, it actually bolsters this albums strength. (I've always been a bit wary of calling "great" - art, films, etc., that everyone likes). Great art, music, etc., historically, has often been very divisive. (The Baroque Period for example).

4. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

This is such a great, heartfelt post. Don't worry, I love the long posts! This is what Paul's albums are all about:there's something for everyone and Paul's music speaks to everyone differently. For example, I adore Wild Life where others obviously don't even give it the time of day. But Wild Life speaks to me in a clearer musical language than the others. I also love Macca III AND Imagined.

Whenever I see polls for 'your favourite album' either for Paul or the Beatles, I always wonder if people are being honest with themselves and choosing the album which is actually meaningful to them, or if they make the choice based on what's cool, or socially acceptable?

For the Beatles, the album that resonates with me the most is Let It Be Naked. It's often bottom of the polls yet it features such an incredibly strong set of songs. Always wonder why it doesn't get more love on the forum. Maybe it's because of the negative association with the break up? But then, to me, that's what makes the album even more meaningful.

5. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

For me Naked will never be quite "home" for me because the Spectorized version IS the official one I've lived with for decades. Even the song order change is hard to get used to. Perhaps because you are new to this, you are "free and unfettered" from the Spector version many of us have come to expect and associate with this release. I can't hear it any other way and consider it "official" even though it is truer to the intent of the group. What was released 50 years ago - became the official version.

Some feel the same way about the dirty vs clean Sistine Chapel ceiling. The dirty one is the only one we knew.

As much as I'm looking forward to the fresh, stripped back "un-Spectorized" version of All Things, (loved the released sample!), the Spector produced one (for me), will NEVER be replaced. I love that epic wall of sound associated with that album. But I welcome both versions. Really looking forward to this release.

6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Yes, you're right as usual!. It's because for me, the definitive version of Let It Be is the Naked version. When I first found out that there were two versions of Let It Be, I automatically snubbed Naked because - hey original! Everyone knows the original version of anything is the best, right? Or so I thought. Honestly, I couldn't get through it. Even as a brand new baby Beatles fan, I thought it sounded awful and even questioned the running order. It didn't seem to make any sense. When I heard Naked, I fell in love.

Spector was also the reason I couldn't get through All Things Must Pass. But only a couple of weeks ago I listened to Early Takes (because I didn't know it existed until now!) and wow! It's now a favourite. So that's now my definitive version.

But what's this released sample you speak of?

Who Cares, omikron and Sargon like this.
  7. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

8. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

While the songs may be excellent, dropping the little dialogue bits between songs results in an album that lacks that "up close" feeling that was originally intended by Paul. As a result, you have a cleaner mix that's too clean.
    Listen to the cuts on Anthology 3 from the same era and you'll find the warmth that's missing when the Spectorization is removed.

All Things Must Pass is different than Let it Be: Let it Be was conceived as a recording session without overdubs and alterations, so Spector's additional drastically alters the songs.
    That's what Let it Be… Naked underscores — "The Long And Winding Road" sounds different on Anthology 3, and even more so with that album, justifying Paul's complaint that Spector changed the songs.
    But with All Things Must Pass, there was an intended sound that George wanted which Spector tried to marry to.
    Based on the digital single that was released earlier this year, it looks like the new mix is attempting to bring you George's intentions without the Spector overlay… and get as close as possible to the same impact.

Basically, I see All Things Must Pass like trying to undo the remastering on an album and remixing it to sound as close as possible without the mistakes the original engineers made. Or removing the muddiness and giving us the same impact.
    It won't be a replacement but it will be a much better sounding LP.
    With Let it Be, you can't change what's become the core standard — even Get Back, which was supposed to be how the album was at first, cannot seem to match it no matter the little extras we prefer.

9. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

This, I am extremely sorry to confess, does leave puzzled each time I read it. I'd love to hear the why, in case you are able to put it into words. I would love to take such a review as a springboard attempting to get through the album. I was really surprised, upon hearing Wild Life life, how strong it is. Going back to studio ... leaves me just underwhelmed.
    I have just started another attempt, beginning not with Mumbo but Love Is Strange. I know I do enjoy the all-time forum favourite Bib Bob. A lot. :)
    Love Is Strange is actually quite nice. I can say I feel much better approaching the album now. Now thinking of Bib Bob and this I can understand you like it, perhaps skiping Mumbo was the solution for me.
    (...)
    Wild Life is coming on. Oh yes, I retake everything I said. It's way, way better than I ever thought. I guess I'll finally be able to like it.
    Some People Never Know. Also way better than I ever thought it could be. I Does have some rememblance to No Words For My Love. I like the harmonies.
    I Am Your Singer. Oh, there's a heartfelt tender song hiding in plain sight and I have never noticed?
    Tomorrow. Hey, there's so much of what I love about McCartney in here!
    Dear Friend. This is the only one I warmed to a bit recently. Now in context of the album it's even improving. A strong effort.

So ... there you go, I gess.
    About 35 years later Wild Life has been included into my listening pool. It'll sure need some more and deeper listens, we'll need to overcome our animosities and finally make friends.

... And next ... Red Rose Speedway? I may not even have endured the whole album so far.

So, it's now my cue to than you and @joy stinson for not getting tired to sing the praises of Wild Life. I once took this album as an example that McCartney had done some stuff I simply cannot listen to. I need to bow and curtsy and deeply apologize to Wild Life, it's all my fault and my narrow-mindedness.
    But Mumbo, speak to you later. :) It may be better for me to approach it after really making friends with the rest of the album.

Yes, it came out later, is a recinfiguration, but to me it was a relief. I could never really listen to the original Let It Be album for the orchestration, the schmalz. I love Good Night, here the Schmalz does make sense, I cannot find it on Let It Be. The songs are strong, the production is what ruins it for me. ... Naked is like a burden lifted that draged everything down. And when I heard Across The Universe for the first time I said: finally. This is the definite version. Well, I do like parts of all versions, except Spector's. And I Me Mine that gets praise for Spector editing it into a usable song. Well, for me the goto version is on Anthology, Dicky Mick and Titch. I know the new album got a lot of criticism, for chosing some inferior bits and pieces, for again going against the advertised pureness, nakedness by dressing up with flying in pieces from different takes. And here comes the only real aspect that I do not really like about the album: the title, I'm all for nakedness either way, but it's just unfortunate on several levels IMO. People being possibly offended being the last thing I do care about, the very last. I'd have much more preferred it to include much more studio banter and stuff, that's the thing I really and honestly love about Let It Be.
    If I put on songs from this era it's either Past Masters or Naked. Hardly ever Let It Be.

10. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

It is amazing how a few parts of the original Let It Be was left "unadulterated" on the Spector version. (You can hear it on I've Got A Feeling from the rooftop concert. Well, it sounds VERY similar to me anway. Crazy cool hearing a live performance on a roof top that sounds just like the album version. Was it recorded from that live rooftop take)? Two of Us also seems"pure" as it sounds pretty similar to the Naked version. A "live-in-the-studio" album that really did get transformed into something very much the opposite of what was intended. Not good - and yet, as I said, I'm "used" to this version.

What I DO like about Let It Be Naked is the louder vocals of George on For You Blue. His vocals never sounded too soft until I listened to the Naked version.
    I DO prefer the orchestrated Long & Winding Road to the underproduced - "boozy night club, closing time" - sounding original. :hide: (I'm dead meat). "Your dead to me Sargon!"
    I can see how the Spector one became a hit single, but I can't picture the original charting. It's too stripped sounding (for me). But to counter myself, the simple hit song "Yesterday" did work quite well.

What is essential is the correct speed vocal of Lennon on Across the Universe on Naked. I can no longer stand the slowed down vocal on the Spector version. I also don't like the sped up vocal on the World Wildlife Fund version. Reminds me of Goldie Locks and the 3 Bears. One too slow, one to fast, and finally with Naked - just right . . . FINALLY.

11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I'm curious to see how John's vocal is handled on a remix of Let It Be...Does Giles leave it druggy sounding, or is it pitch-shifted closer to John's natural tone as heard on LIBN....They can easily make his voice sound more natural without messing with the backing track.

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt and Sargon like this.
  12. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I enjoy the Spector and naked version of the album...Admit,I had to get on the internet later to learn how disliked The long and Winding Road song is, one of if not McCartney’s finest overlooked ballads and a song about the end of the Beatles.

13. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I can most definitely put the 'why' into words and have done just that for the entire album. To save everyone else the tedium of reading my over-zealous review of Mumbo, allow me to direct you to the Wild Life Appreciation thread.

And the Mumbo review is here: Wings Wild Life Appreciation Thread

Edit: those links didn't quite work out the way I planned...still it takes you to the right places.

It's not a very long thread (as you can imagine!) so shouldn't be too much of a problem to scroll through finding the reviews to songs. A quiet, but passionate little thread. Feel free to add your thoughts to it!

I love how you call it Bib Bob. :laugh: Great that you are giving this album a go.

Well this has made me very happy! I'm really pleased that you have found a way into this beautiful album. I find that sometimes we're just not ready for an album and we have to wait until it calls us. I never could quite work out why music is like that until I heard Pete Shotten I think it was? In an interview say how for George, music was like spiritualism. He equated music to an almost religious or spiritual experience and I got that . That's totally what it's like for me. Anyway, don't want to further derail thread with talk of Wild Life. But again, happy to talk more about it in the WL thread.

hEARt PhoniX and joy stinson like this.
  14. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

This is an M3 thread??? ;):D

15. joy stinson

Yes....the great sequential albums of solo Macca....from earliest to later days, all are connected yet not connected and have phases and evolutions...truly how I see his solo music catalogue .

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  16. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on this. Spector's version misses the humanity whilst Naked misses the spontaneity and humour. It seems to me, that in their determination to strip it back and chase away the Spector shadows, they went too far and left it feeling, well, naked. Still, the sparseness of Naked at least allows the strength of the songs and the vocals to shine through. One of my criticisms of Spector was his penchant for drowning out the vocal in instrumentation. The vocal is almost always muddy and/or far away sounding. Same for All Things Must Pass. What he did to The Long and Winding Road was unforgivable. He completely missed the point of it; should have been an intimate poetic experience, not an operatic or theatrical experience. Well, that's just my opinion. I suppose if you've grown up with the Spector version that would be the one you'd prefer.

Edit: and yes, back to Macca III!! Sorry @Sargon!

Who Cares and Sargon like this.
  17. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Oh, don't even get me started on that. And I promise I won't get started due to further thread derailment. I get over-zealous about that song too, and about how under appreciated it is. It's a masterpiece on so many levels. A technical marvel, lyrically. I'd shout about it from the roof tops if I could.

18. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Please, no apologies Ms V! I'm a "free range" poster 2. I was just having fun. I'm on record here for liking this "free for all" as well as an occasional M3 post. It's (for me), all good!
    I think the time has long passed for those requiring quick, direct, concentrated posts about where to buy M3, what versions are available, and peoples initial takes on this album.

The purchases have already been made and judgment has already been passed - good:), bad:mad:, or "meh":disgust:.

As far as Imagined goes, I haven't read much lately on here. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive before listening to this version and passing judgment.

19. hEARt PhoniX

Oh yes, I know what you mean by not ready. I started buying Einstürzende Neubauten before I really enjoyed them, but I knew that their music would become important for me at a later time. It does not always work out like that, though. Some albums require extensive walks round and around them.
    I have seen Stockhausen's Freitag Aus Licht 1996 at Oper Leipzig, I am still trying to figure that one out. It was impressive, but way above my head. But they were playing the pure electronic parts in a sound installation outside, during the intermission and that was ... magic.

To me artworks are a very distinct and distinguished form of communication, artworks are like, no not like, they are more or less close friends and lovers. We talk to each other, in some unique way. The exciting thing is that art can communicate across borders, time and space. In an ideal event I establish a relationship with them, some closer, some loose, some only passing. It's obviously another form of communication and relationship than real life, very different, but to me as important.
    M3 (Ha! I did it, back on topic!) was love on first listen, and the emotional bond is only getting stronger.

Therefore my tagline may appear flippant, but it's in fact nothing but the honest truth.

20. joy stinson

I never knew what ..cringey was...till the term became hip a few years ago...lol. Don’t know how I got by not wincing for so long.

hEARt PhoniX and omikron like this.
  21. joy stinson

Truly...one of George’s finest solo songs ...in my top five George songs. It’s a great pity Beatles couldn’t work out a version of this for one of their albums...I so enjoyed the George and paul duo of this song and their harmonies on it.

22. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

They sang this together?

joy stinson likes this.
  23. joy stinson

I found it online on a LIB outtake...a video of it I think. You can search for it online...I stumbled on it. .I was amazed to find it. On high parts of the chorus, Paul sang high harmony.

Sargon likes this.
  24. hEARt PhoniX

Well, to me this song is ... it's very difficult to put in words.
    Especially Deep Deep Feeling is far away from cringe. It's truth. Sometimes love can be so deep it kind of hurts, and just as him I am talking of happy love, not unhappy, unanswered love. That kind of love that even after 20 years makes you glad and thankful it's happening.
    And sometimes it goes from best to worst. If you ever feared you may never see your beloved again alive and could not immediately be there, tried everything possible but in vain, then you'll know the deep and true meaning of these lines.
    And even if you're happy together, directly next to each other, I do know that feeling, that mixture of happiness and "pain", just because the feeling is so profound and I am so unbelievably lucky being able and allowed to love this much, having that someone in my life.
    What he is IMO not singing about is the pain of misunderstandings, either I am so sorry I inadvertedly did something wrong, or I am hurting, or we both are due to some more or less silly thing, or the pain after a fight, before we can relax again and be back to ok with each other. I don't think I am hearing that (even though that too can be extraordinarily painful), to me he is just singing about the pure feeling of love.
    Never before have I found someone writing about this, nailing the often confusing and seemingly contradictive feelings of truly deep love as exact and beautiful as McCartney in this song. Relationship dynamics, yes, there are many songs. But writing about and successfully finding words for, expressing the feeling of love as such, that is really rare.
    To me this song is a masterpiece through and through. I hear so much in it, dedication, happiness, calmness, playfulness, but also emotional turbulence, pain, thankfulness, astonishment, strength and stability.
    At least that is my take on this song and it's lyrics.

Who Cares, BellaLuna, 51IS and 9 others like this.
  25. joy stinson

Your write up makes me see a whole new angle and depth in the lyrics. Thanks for what you wrote. Many lyrics, books, art works of all types, etc., are deeper upon closer inspection than first thought.