Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh they’re definitely not an error. I said previously that “It’s either a mistake or an intentional “leak” to try and generate hype for something that none of us need: yet another vinyl variant of this album.
    I think that the fact that the McCartney publicity machine has since teased that the first 333 copies snuck out and we can look out for more soon pretty much confirms that the latter half of my theory was right.

jmxw and Susan Gagne like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

A couple of pages back there is a list of the 48 variations of this album just in the US, not including other variations in the rest of the world.
    This was a desperate bid by a 79 year old billionaire musician to get his first no 1 album in 30+ years, something that other artists of the same age like Bob Dylan and Tom Jones have managed to to in the past couple of years without resorting to fleecing their fans.
    Congratulations to Paul for achieving this, he got his no 1 album in the UK instead of his usual 11.000 first week sales, it just means that some of those 11.000 hardcore fans bought many copies. Unfortunately Paul's artistic integrity is now zero and this will go down in music history as an all time low in manipulating the charts.

I hope that the ex legendary ex Beatle Paul McCartney feels this was all worth it.

3. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

True! And I’m speculating that MPL/Universal may be trying out (experimenting with) new marketing strategies, and if considered successfull they may be turned into new standards. It may mean, for us ”hardcore fans”, that we have to get used to a multitude of variations of new Macca products.

bob60 likes this.
  4. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

Oh relax.:rolleyes:

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Did you buy many of these versions of this album? I'm thinking some people must have spent a fortune. Are you usually a collector?

6. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Of all the things you could choose to be annoyed by you choose the marketing strategy of an album released nearly a year ago? This is a strange hill to die on :laugh:

7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Even though one really can have opnions about all the different variatons
    I don t for one second believe it will do anything to harm Pauls legacy or reputation.
    Just as Dylans advertts for Victorias Secrets didn t harm his.
    Paul achievment are carved in stone.

8. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

The release of multiple variations of one album is definitely no invention of MPL/McCartney.
    It is part of Universal‘s marketing strategy. Just look at other artists that have a contract with Universal Music, for example ABBA and their upcoming album…

Bemagnus likes this.
  9. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

When the album was announced there was a big deal about how the Red vinyl was exclusive to the website and limited. Many people rushed to buy it. Different to the standard black after all.

Then of course other perhaps more interesting variations were announced later. So the red was no big deal. I do think that luring people in thinking they're getting something special is a kind of fraud

Fabsmith likes this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Nobody chooses to be annoyed. Other people do things which cause annoyance. I agree with him.

11. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

What do u do with endless variations of the same thing? Do you play them? Look at them? Do you even unwrap them?

Just curious.

Cos I opened and played my one copy. Now it's stored away. I doubt I'll ever play or look at it again. And I have hundreds of McCartney records

12. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

No, you do choose to be annoyed. It’s only music, it’s not important in the grand scheme of things. I understand that it’s frustrating if you’re a completist, but its the way the music business is these days and you don’t have to buy it.

Anyway let’s get back to discussing music :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    kevintee likes this.
  13. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Maybe so, but McCartney has taken it to a ridiculous whole new level.

No artist has released as many different versions of the same album as this one, it’s not even close.

bob60 and Floater like this.
  15. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

That should be in the Guinness' book of records.

16. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I think he'll recover just fine. He might just get over the outrage of butt hurt fans who refuse to buy multiple copies of his album. No one is making you buy anything.

17. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

You might be overestimating how many people, outside of this thread, nevermind the forum, care.

We live in an age were most artists are manipulating the charts, through giving out albums via ticket sales. At least one band, Brockhampton, got to no1 by not only giving out digital codes for albums with ticket sales but merch sold at concerts. Other artists, like the legions of K-pop fans, have bot farms on streaming accounts to hugely boost the streaming numbers of their favourites. There was a huge scandal with Tidal, owned by Jay-Z, were it was found that they were also bot farming his, Beyonce and other artists accounts in a bid to get higher in the charts.

Even this week in the UK we have Steps and Manics, two acts past their prime by more than a decade, race to no1 by continually dropping the price of the album throughout the week.

Paul's shenanigans in the charts blend in with the era. He's not going to become history for what he did. And if he does, so what. The scandal of Brian buying 10,000 copies of Love Me Do hardly hurt the Beatles rep. If anything it would be a nice opener and closer for the McCartney's chart career.

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

ABBA have nowhere near 45 versions of their upcoming albums for sale.

Oaw likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There has always been manipulation of the charta
    Outside a small circles Noone gives a s-t about multiple editions of this album
    Noone is forced to buy it
    It won t affekt Pauls reputation at all. Zero

bward and Eska68 like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Why is it so strange? This thread is still on the front page everyday for a near year old album so people are still discussing it. Paul is still desperately flogging new variations to try to flog a last few hundred copies.
    And by the way, that 'of all the things you could be worried about' line stops being relevant about the time you become an adult.

jacchank likes this.
  21. ehwalled

ehwalled Forum Resident

Ummmm he didn't invent this, read up. Bands and more so, labels have been manipulating the charts since Billboard charts were recognized. It's a gimmick, 100%. Of recent, read Lukather bio book. He doesn't go into detail but explains how the band pays the label essentially for that number 1 position. how it's pay to get on the radio (now its pay to get featured on apple music or Spotify). It's just not Paul, but agree Paul is still "playing the game" where others let the chips fall as they may.

Again everyone needs to get over how many variations, if you don't like it, ill assume you didn't participate in it which is fine. Those like like that sort of thing, bought them, hunted them, traded for them etc.

22. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Not to you as a huge fan, but to music fans then yes it has. It has shown a desperation that is quite sad from somebody who has achieved so much in a 60 year career. Of course nobody is forced to buy it, except for those fans who are collectors because you know, that's what they do.

Hopefully this bundling with socks/dice/underpants/multi format practice where collectors buy dozens of copies of the same album will soon be eliminated. The previous way to score a sneaky no 1 of course was to include a copy of a new album with tour tickets, thankfully that is no longer allowed.

23. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Not quite yet, but you must admit this is a staggering amount of copies already. ABBA Official Store (abbavoyage.com)

24. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

Just wait until McIII part 3 happens! LOL

jacchank likes this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What secret knowledge do you posseses about what music fans in general feel about Pauls marketing strategies.
    To be honest none at all.
    Just because you think it s sad, desperate or whatever doesn t mean thst s the general opnion.
    Outside of this forum I haven t seen or heard anyone comment about all the different editions of McCartneyIII

I think there is very little-if any-profit in selling music in physical form these days. Personally I don t see much wrong in companies trying at least ro break even. There also seems to be collectors who enjoy haunting down the same album in different editions. I don t but it s up to each and everyone.

Eska68 and paustin0816 like this.