Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Yes..he’s been stereotypically niche boxed in and simplified by so many for decades now. I hope upon his passing particularly his widely varied solo will be reassessed and upgraded by critics and the public. Sadly, I’m sure he’ll hate di for that to happen.

2. joy stinson

Yes, the album is somewhat musically a deconstruction.

3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Attention: irony.

McCartney's niche has been carved long ago. He has always been the conventional pop person while John was the crazy one. Just think of the tape loops in Tomorrow Never Knows. John is so crazy! And what does Paul bring along? Love songs. John is so open to experimentation and other influences, while Paul ... adds a string quartett to the palette and When I'm 64.
    I just wish he'd look around a bit more. Hasn't there been talk of an album of unreleased experimentations called "Lennon Goes Too Far"? I am sure had he been alive Lennon would have cooperated with people like Rihanna.
    But Paul ...

4. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

For those with access to the BBC, BBC 2 is showing three Macca Programs on Saturday, the first one is Paul McCartney at the BBC at 19:55, followed by The Cavern Club show and then the Idris Elba interview.
    For the first program it states:
    A compilation of TV appearances from the post-Beatles career of Britain’s most successful singer-songwriter. This playlist shows how the Fab Four’s split didn’t stop the hits and features some of Paul McCartney’s most popular songs and iconic performances on some of the biggest BBC shows of the past five decades, from Top of the Pops to the Electric Proms. Alongside tracks like Band on the Run, Jet, Coming Up and Live and Let Die, there is rarely seen backstage footage, interviews and a range of familiar faces, including a recent encounter with die-hard Beatles fan Bob Mortimer.

Floater, Who Cares, Durango88 and 4 others like this.
  5. hEARt PhoniX

Long Tailed Winter Bird has characterized recently as "most basic worst instrumental track possible, royalty free music is better than this". While that may be right from that person's perspective and is ok to assess ... I have just been out rolling through town for some shopping ... listening to Once Upon A Long Ago ... and then this statement came up in my mind. So I said to myself: Let's check what that may have been all about, can I find elements that I can agree on with the poster?
    So I cued it up.

Literally just seconds later I noticed yet another huge smile on my face and I was grooving along the pavement, jumping and dancing from the inside, going all cheery when those weird flute-like sections come up, mentally singing along and suddenly thinking:
    Would't this be an awesome opener for small venue events in the veign of Chaos And Creation At Abbey Road where he just plays a few things, improvises and leads us along through his excitement for creation and art? Low key, just a musical story teller and his music?
    Yes, it does repeat sections, yes, it is not the most varied piece, but for me it does not need to be.
    It still manages to drag me in. I had severe difficulties pressing stop after the second track instead of listening to the whole thing all over again.

6. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Have these gone already? Can only find it online in the US and Germany..nowhere in the UK.

Jonpd likes this.
  7. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

I have heard today that a copy is waiting for me in my local record shop. The UK release date is tomorrow.

There are very limited copies available in the UK I was told.

Beechlander and paustin0816 like this.
  8. jacden

jacden Senior Member

My copy arrived from the Concerto record store in Amsterdam.

It sounds fabulous and looks groovy. I didn't expect to poster to be this big. Nice surprise.

[​IMG]

9. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Yes, the poster is lovely. I too was pleasantly surprised at the size of it.

jacden and Sargon like this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

And yet it’s insanely catchy.

51IS and jacden like this.
  11. wolfmac

wolfmac Forum Resident

I must admit I listened to it once or twice and keep skipping it ever since. Does absolutely nothing for me. Kind of embarrassing compared to the rest of the album. But I have been a McCartney fan for 30+ years so I'm used to stuff like that :righton:

12. hEARt PhoniX

35 years here. :)

13. 42 from Italy :)

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

The Macster is on BBC2 right now, so off you go, youngsters

Oyster Boy and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  15. hEARt PhoniX

Nothing too much, just out of sight at this part of the world ...

16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Since London Town, so 43 for me:)

Sargon likes this.
  17. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Me too. :shh:

18. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

2/9/64 for me…so 57 for me.

:yikes:

19. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Here's a rundown of the "Paul McCartney at the BBC" TV special that just aired:

1. MAYBE I’M AMAZED [live 1976] (Wings Over The World, 4/1979)

2. BAND ON THE RUN (Radio 2 In Concert, 11/2013)

3. GET BACK (Later… with Jools Holland, 10/2013)

4. ANOTHER DAY (Radio 2 In Concert, 11/2013)

5. Interview (Harty, 11/1984)

6. YESTERDAY [live in Liverpool] (Nationwide, 11/1979)

7. Interview (Mastertapes, 5/2016)

8. JET [live in Venice] (Tonight, 9/1976)

9. LADY MADONNA (Later… with Jools Holland, 10/2007)

10. BLACKBIRD (Liverpool Sound, 6/2208)

11. ELEANOR RIGBY (Electric Proms, 10/2007)

12. ENGLISH TEA (Chaos & Creation, 9/2005)

13. GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE [live in Liverpool] (Nationwide, 11/1979)

14. Interview David Frost (5/1964)

15. LET IT BE (Glastonbury, 6/2004)

16. MY BRAVE FACE (Wogan, 5/1989)

17. DRIVE MY CAR (Glastonbury, 6/2004)

18. MULL OF KINTYRE (Mike Yarwood Show, 12/1977)

19. SILLY LOVE SONGS [live 1976) (Wings Over The World, 4/1979)

20. I SAW HER STANDING THERE (Electric Proms, 10/2007)

21. PIPES OF PEACE (isolated tracks + promo video) (Harty, 12/1983)

22. COMING UP (promo video) (Top Of The Pops 4/1980)

23. Interview (Parkinson, 12/1999)

24. LIVE AND LET DIE (Electric Proms, 10/2007)

25. Interview (Mastertapes, 5/1016)

26. THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD (Parkinson, 12/1999)

27. A DAY IN THE LIFE/GIVE PEACE A CHANCE (Liverpool Sound, 6/2008)

28. Interview Hog Hill rooftop/THAT WAS ME (The Culture Show, 6/2007)

29. HEY JUDE (Radio 2 In concert, 11/2013)

There were also a few extracts from "In Conversation with Bob Mortimer" from this very month.

Great to see stuff I didn't know existed, like the video for the "Radio 2 in concert" (I had always thought it was audio only), the rare footage from the 1979 tour, the slightly out of tune (thank you Linda!) version of "Jet" live in Venice

20. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Whenever he is gone, yes, I think his entire body of work will be reassessed. He’s had a better late-career run than Dylan, far better, actually, but he doesn’t get credit for it.

I will say that the recent “Lyrics” book could be one of the most powerful arguments ever for his entire body of work, as it demonstrates his career didn’t end in 1970. Spotify has a giant playlist of the songs from the Lyrics book, and I listened to a good bit of it the other day, and, in the random alphabetical sequencing of, say, Temporary Secretary / Things We Said Today / Ticket to Ride / Too Many People / Too Much Rain / Tug of War / Two of Us, the Wings and solo material more than holds it own with the Beatles songs.

Eska68, OobuJoobu, jacden and 5 others like this.
  21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I wonder if anyone made a career change after hearing about Honcho's success?

22. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

I was going to say 43 as well, but London Town was just the first McCartney record I bought. I remember hearing Band on the Run and Jet on the radio when they were first released, and we had a BOTR 8-track tape which we played the crap out of.

So, 48 for me. :agree:

23. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

Okay, IF we are counting radio play singles, then that takes me back to hearing Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey on the Gilligan's Island style white transistor radio next to the pool every time I swam at my friends house during the summer of 1971. But I confess I thought the song was called "Hands Across the Water", and I wasn't collecting or following a thing until London Town.

So, 50 for me . . . (sort of). :laugh:

24. joy stinson

Bought first solo album and another day upon their release.

Oyster Boy and Sargon like this.
  25. hEARt PhoniX

I believe that The Lyrics may also give room for reassessment as it clearly shows how "intertextual" he is, not only books and literature, but also arts, places, real life events ... things he never wore on his sleeve and were / are easy to miss. How carefully crafted many of his lyrics are, besides the often quoted ones that are just some quick rhymes in order to have something to sing. It may give a deeper understanding that his work is more nuanced than that.
    I think this book may convince some of the scholars, which may over time trickle down through a change in critical assessment of his work. Some may only now understand his artistry and how immersed and embedded he is in the arts.
    It may or may not have been a conscious aspect considered when preparing this book, but I am convinced it is yet another PR masterstroke, in regards to directing and managing his legacy.

Heck, even I have re-evaluated my long standing love for Sgt Pepper upon reading just the introduction. I do repeat myself, but when reading that Paul considers it to be a very radio-like album ... it suddenly clicked and I had words for what I love so much about Pepper's production style largely shared by the surrounding singles / EP: like in no other era the (extended) '67 era makes use of sounds and sonic storytelling elements.
    Also, how much radio drama and also stage play has influenced his writing. And as I have also already written about how deeply the Pepper era's elaborate multilayered production has turned out to be his style and simply how he builds a recording ... Penny Lane anyone ... a song so deceptively simple yet so layered and elaborate in all aspects ...

As radio is my love and main medium of choice (especially as it's participating, emamcipatory and democratic power especially via community radio and it's further development as podcasts intrigues me) and my enjoyment of radio art ... I am astonished how this could escape me in his regard. I have noticed a long time ago how much I owe parts of my own approach to sound and show design to his production style, to The Beatles' and his artistry of record sequencing, i.e. playlist creation ... even though on

Yes, I knew and treasured how important radio was for all Beatles (Goons!), how much McCartney enjoyed radio drama (pataphysics!) ... but despite all that I did not get the full extend.
    And if such a small and passing mention from this book can so radically intensify my appreciation after I believe 37 years of extended Beatles and 35 years of Paul McCartney solo devouring ... and helped me find an important aspect of why I always came back to the songs he was singing, at any particular time ...

Let me quote again from Paul Muldoon's introduction:
    By the way, if you have got the ebook, do a search for the word "radio". I think it is amazing and telling how often it comes up throughout the book.
    And let's not forget The Unforgettable radio show and Oobu Joobu.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    omikron, Who Cares, 51IS and 5 others like this.