Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Yeah - just noticed that on YouTube Music and Spotify. It's the same as the bonus track on various editions. :)

Cheers,
    Paul

2. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I think any other iteration of III will come after the Grammys, and Paul and his team are expecting to walk away with a win from one of the two nominations he has.

But I would not doubt that Paul has some other demos/mixes/surprises up his sleeve for a Deluxe or Collector's Edition of the album, as well as more written/photo content related to 2020/21 in terms of a book/let of some kind that will a part of the release.

I do like Deep Deep Feeling a lot, but would also appreciate an official single edit/remix from Paul that turns it into a 4 minute track. I could also see him adding another home studio track, either from his archive dusted off and added to recently, or something done completely new in 2021 as a bonus track.

Maybe a Collector's Edition with a book, poster, the original LP and a bonus LP with 6 demos/outtakes, 2 remixes and 2 brand new songs. IDK just spit-balling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Who Cares likes this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Wow. Has it really been one year now? Well, obviously. It seems like a long time and yet so short.
    People here are accusing me of praising the album too much. But ... what else can I do? And reading my initial reaction to Deep Deep Feelings ...
    And it is interesting reading this. The moment I DID fall in love ...
    This album has been a close friend ever since. I honestly did not expect it to make such an impact as it has, it has become my favourite album ever, along with Pet Sounds. Two very different albums, but both full of creativity and emotion. Both speak to my deepest self.
    And if you should force me to pick just two songs "for the island", they will be Good Vibrations and Deep Deep Feelings.
    If I am allowed more I would add the greatest single of all times, rightfully a double A-side: Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane.

But here it is for McCartney III.
    This really was raw and unedited. I will leave it at that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Rocco, Mkirk, tug_of_war and 5 others like this.
  4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

More than anything, I'd be interested in a follow up album! Whether it's McCartney IV or something else, I would love to have even more new music.

Rocco, tug_of_war, Paul H and 11 others like this.
  5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

If I recall correctly, our intelligentsia has indicated that the final phase of III will NOT have any new or exclusive music.

Not to rain on the parade, but I am tempering my expectations.

6. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

With this new Spider-Man movie out, some new Macca would make things even more perfect.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Worth mentioning here: in my ongoing series of polls about Paul’s solo work, McIII has landed at the 20th spot (out of 27) amongst forum listeners.

Updated rankings for all albums - from nearly 11,500 forum votes (!!) - can be found in this post:
    POLL: How do you rate Paul McCartney's "McCartney III" album?

Bill813, omikron and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  8. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

The problem with receiving a heads up that early, as it was 4-5 months out from the projected release date, it was too early to have track listings. So I took the project at face value and said it would hold zero interest to me without something extra/bonus inside. I don’t think anyone knows if any bonus material will be included. The projected release period that I was originally told has come and gone as well , so that with no further updates makes me think that it was moved or scrapped.

9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I hope it's been scrapped and we moves on to the next project, whatever that may be. He seems to have milked this one for all its worth.

BeatleJWOL, Oaw and Paul H like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I would not shed a tear if they moved on

BeatleJWOL, Darrin L. and Oaw like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t want to see the word Rockdown ever again

utopiarun and ZippyPippy like this.
  12. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Agreed. Now move on to the Archives.

tug_of_war, Oyster Boy and omikron like this.
  13. omikron

Like that Cavern show I guess.

I'd say maybe they are waiting for more Grammy buzz but who realistically buying Paul stuff cares about Grammy anymore.

14. kevintee

The Grammy buzz may have started with the W&W digital single. Although, I’m not so sure any of the demos from MIII will create much of a buzz.

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I’d say little to none

omikron likes this.
  16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

If I had to guess, I think will see an archive(s) in 2022. At no point have they gone 2 years without one

17. kevintee

Absolutely. That was my thought also.

18. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Unless it applies to a duck-feather covered re-issue of Wild Life, absolutely

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

We've also not had two years without a band around him – or sessions with other players. If you think about it, Paul's not been in the studio since McCartney III that we're aware of… at least, not to record an album with the band.
    And there's no tour dates for a band that was touring regularly from 2007-2019, and would have played 2020 had covid not hit.
    Based on the recent Wild Life announcement, and the way it mirrors III Imagined's attempt to accommodate for supply chain problems – problems that, as we saw from Lyrics' issues with distribution, are not yet resolved – that all plans are being slowed down.

It might explain why, for example, there's no hinting yet of the home video release for Get Back or Let it Be, both of which have been heavily suggested if not outright said are coming at some point. (Get Back is also rumoured to be longer and/or have the preview screening version.)
    Or why It's a Wonderful Life has been dead silent: Broadway's shutting down yet again due to covid, and no one's rushing to release something new to stages – especially as newer plays are folding due to lack of ticket sales/tourists rushing to NYC to see new plays.

High in the Clouds is set for a 2022 release, and Netflix has a habit of aiming for high points for kids when it comes to animated releases. It's either going to come for Easter (with the single coming at Record Store Day) or late summer/Labour Day.

My speculation is that MPL is waiting to see what happens at the Grammys before announcing III part III on the anniversary of III Imagined's physical release in February.
    Get Back will be released about six months after it appeared on Disney+, so you're looking at possibly May.
    Which means April can see a connection to III part III and a soundtrack album for Get Back, given that it's also RSD month.

Then the summer sees Paul back on the road at last, and It's a Wonderful Life hits the stage. High in the Clouds comes in late August, just in time for the kids to watch something on Labour Day weekend.
    The soundtrack for High in the Clouds comes in September.
    The cast album for It's a Wonderful Life comes in early November, just in time for Christmas. RSD Black Friday includes a single preview for the Archive.
    The Archive for London Town and Back to the Egg comes in early December.

And somewhere in there, we also have both the Some Time In New York City Ultimate Edition and Concert for Bangladesh special anniversary edition. (Not MPL, but certainly something for Beatles fans to pay attention for as well.)

Ken.e. likes this.
  20. kevintee

Your timetables and content are always so ambitious. I certainly hope you’re right, but I don’t think so. For one thing, I doubt It’s a Wonderful Life, a Christmas story, will premiere in the summer.

Also Disney apparently had the BR rights to Get Back…do they may milk it on D+ for as long as they want.

I highly doubt there will be a soundtrack album for Get Back. Peter Jackson even said as much.

We have no reason to expect Macca III part III will happen. Some members with inside info on this forum have their doubts.

I do hope High in the Clouds comes around the beginning of summer and I hope we get an Archive release(s) much earlier than a year from now.

21. omikron

FWIW, Paul and Wix did some music together for the Green Sub CD.

Who Cares and kevintee like this.
  22. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Not quite sure what any of that has to do with an archive coming out. Despite a complete lockdown in 2020 and a worse supply chain problem, MPL was able to deliver the Flaming Pie Box. Despite continuing supply chain problems, the Beatle camp managed to release a robust number of releases here in 2021.

None of these boxes require a touring band or session players. They do not require tours.

The archive sets are put together by staff at MPL that is currently in place with input and approval by Paul. All stages easily managed during the current times. Only thing that could put a cramp on things is another complete shutdown. These archive sets are easy releases and no brainers in the current atmosphere.

As far as touring, the majority of artists have shut down touring the past two years and depending on COVID, there’s a chance that you can see another sparse year. The good signs are that several large tours were able to tour. I think the biggest problem is every country or every state here has different COVID protocols making it logistically much tougher.

If he can tour, I’d expect for him to make up the Europe shows that he had to cancel in 2020. Maybe he adds a few more, maybe he doesn’t. They’ve been cautious so far so they will probably remain cautious. “It’s a Wonderful Life” is a Christmastime story and I’d expect that to start Sept/Oct and continuing into the New Year ( if those venues are open and allowed to hold shows. By Paul’s earlier interviews, the play is meant to open in London, not New York so unless things change…it’ll probably stay that way

High in the Clouds will not have a massive roll out. It is direct to Netflix with most likely a soundtrack which is already done. It could come at any time.

23. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

It's often one project at a time. Flaming Pie was also begun pre-pandemic, as it was in the catalogue in January 2020 – only the boxed sets that were already mastered, etc. were produced for that year. Everything else was delayed.
    As for this year, those were long delayed projects all delayed until the moment it was hoped the pandemic was over and/or they had copies ready to go; pre-pandemic, Let it Be:50 was likely to have been released with the film, Plastic Ono Band was announced in the book in November despite not being able to be produced on time, and All Things Must Pass was delayed.

I agree on the easiness of releasing one, especially if it's London Town and Back to the Egg, as those are already rumoured to be finished. The only problem with the Archives sets is the supply chain. Lyrics was announced with many months lead-in and still couldn't make its release window for many people; other sets are having either copies allocated, or supply delays — and then there's the spike in shipping costs on heavy items. Universal may hope to delay the release until it's either all produced and ready to ship for sure, or until the supply chain returns to a semblance of normal.

I expect that, if he tours, he will play Europe or at least the odd show in England. He may play certain spots in the US. However, numbers will definitely be an issue. Changes are happening quickly; we've had many tours cancel their Canadian dates, and I had one tour – all in Canada! – just cancel and announce a reschedule coming due to the fact that the arts performances (ballets, movies) have been identified as spreading incidents. It's got to be tough on someone who loves to perform (though it's likely going to help Paul's singing voice).

As for the stage show: tourism. Tourism is higher in summer and tickets hotter. I would not be surprised if it had a soft open in August and then performances in London open in September, with New York following in spring — but the whole stage world is up in the air right now.

Netflix picks certain times of year for its releases. Netflix is also desperate for good press. So I would expect they would aim for the higher numbers — when kids are out of school.
    I don't expect it "at any time." The history is just too regular – and for logical reasons.

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Just wanted to take a quick opportunity to wish all the members that celebrate the holiday a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!!! Let’s hope for 2022 is much better and to having another wonderful Beatleful year!

Mkirk, furthermore, Floater and 23 others like this.
  25. kevintee

And the very same to you and yours , Bob.

Floater, Who Cares and Paul H like this.