Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

My next door neighbour is a pop/rock critic for a "quality" newspaper. And he is known for the, shall we say, sharpness of his pen... A few days before Christmas, he put a box in the entrance filled with a couple CDs with the sign "Help yourself" and, well, "McCartney III" was among them. It stood there. untouched. for several days...

Ludger, Floater and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  2. bluedemon25

bluedemon25 Me, I'm Just A Lawnmower

What does "quality" mean in this instance, I'm curious.

Oaw likes this.
  3. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Don’t worry, I posted a copy of the McCartney III album through each letter box on my street to balance things out. :D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Floater and Ms. Daisy like this.
  4. David Moeller

David Moeller Forum Resident

I'm over a year late but....
    i KNOW you ain't making fun of THEEE Malibu Stacy figures?!?!? hahaha lmao

5. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

Not tabloid, not populist. No half-naked woman on page 5.

6. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

And? What does it change about the quality of this album?
    If it weren't from Paul McCartney, no one would have cared.

7. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Well, let's face it.
    Who cares what the idiots say
    Who cares what the idiots do
    Who cares about the pain in your heart
    Who cares about you, I do

'Cause you're worth much more
    Of that you can be sure
    No need to hide
    The love you've got inside

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Some bitter people have been making that same argument since McCartney I. Get new material.

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

She had removed her clothes for the likes of me.

10. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

I think it fits. Why should I change what seems correct?
    BTW, I like McCartney I and II... But I don't think I have genuflex in front of everything that has the name "McCartney" on it.

Frank and omikron like this.
  11. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The same can be said about anything Paul has released as a recording artist since Beatlemania went big in Europe in late '63.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  12. idreamofpikas

#

How does it seem correct? Why can you like previous McCartney albums but the people who like McCartney III are only saying so because it is by Paul? Don't you think that is hugely condescending? Is a simpler answer that 'music is subjective' and that you don't like III but others do.

Has McCartney III got more exposure because it is by Paul? Certainly, but the same is true of every established artist from Dylan's last album to Taylor Swift's. It is the nature of the music industry, artists with an established record will get more exposure than unknown artists or artists with a string of poor performing albums. Being Paul McCartney does not guarantee good reviews or even good sales.

Personally, McCartney III is a solid 8 out of 10. It does not reinvent the wheel, but is really an enjoyable listen even a year later. And the imagined album was evidence that the songs, rather than the name McCartney, could stand up by themselves.

13. jaypee65

jaypee65 Forum Resident

OK then. Sorry for questioning the dogma.
    BTW, why do you take it personally?

Frank likes this.
  14. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

He may have been brusque about not liking the album but I read nothing to indicate he was putting others down.

Frank likes this.
  15. idreamofpikas

It can be subconscious or conscious, but when people make up justifications for why other people like something they don't, it comes off as condescending. Art is meant to be subjective, there is not meant to be a right or wrong way to appreciate it. Someone not liking an album is fine, but them explaining to others that the only reason they like it is because of who made the art is condescending and a huge problem that exists in online conversations about music. The need for art to be good or bad and that it is wrong to like art others have decided is bad is an attitude that needs to be changed.

But you are right, I could have disagreed with them more politely and pointed out that Paul's name attached to a song or album does not make me like it. That there are multiple McCartney albums I don't enjoy as they are just not for me. His name may make me check out an album, but it won't make me like it.

Monasmee and Prudence1964 like this.
  16. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Not evidence at all, the imagined songs were nothing like the originals, you could sample any album ever and make it into a IIIimagined like album.... also they were largely successful anyways because of McCartney’s name.

17. Ringo Hendrix

Anyone, by chance, ever heard the 2003 band-oriented re-recording of Calico Skies, I'm guessing the origin of the accordions heard in the live versions? Always loved that rendition live, would be intrigued to hear a studio version of it.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I believe it's taken from a soundcheck.

19. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Well, that could have been done with Macca albums since McCartney I. Some of us just don’t get it….

20. Ringo Hendrix

Thank you!! For some reason I couldn’t find it on YouTube searches, but maybe I just wasn’t doing a good enough of a search.

21. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It can sometimes be tricky to find the official uploads just from searching on youtube.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  22. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Whenever I cue up MIII and hear that first few notes from the acoustic guitar I feel relaxed, secure and full of joy. When the drums set in I am vibing, at least from the inside.
    I do need to take care when to do this.
    I have not loved an album this much in quite some time.

And unlike so often when I consciously decide to listen to the complete album, this one is still dragging me in, pulling me from ine song to the next and if I have to stop listening before the last notes, it does need to me done against some inner resistance.

I feel like I seem to be one of the very few on here who really and honestly love this album.
    Deep Deep Feelings.

And when it comes up unexpectedly it is kind of overwhelming for a moment.

23. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

Lovely description!
    + 1

24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Who Cares and kevintee like this.
  25. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

"If it were by anyone but McCartney, no one would have cared" IS putting others down. Because it's saying there is no way one could genuinely like it and "cared" about it and it's only because it's got the name McCartney on it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.