Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Long Tailed Winter Bird is one of my favorite tracks from MCIII as well.

Sad to hear that you won't be giving MCIII another chance in the near future, but please give that 20-second snippet multiple attentive listens. The melody is so good that it might make you play the entire album from start to finish right away :D

warewolf95, Hep Alien and Who Cares like this.
  2. VicSchwarz

VicSchwarz Forum Resident

I listened to Find My Way yesterday and I noticed something I’d never heard before : I really love how Paul uses tape varispeed at the end of the song with the fast guitars, there’s even one of the guitar tracks which slows down so we hear what Paul originally played and then it speeds up again

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    51IS, supermd, WestAussie85 and 6 others like this.
  3. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Agreed that part is the best of the song. Unfortunately that doesn’t save it.

Frank and wino14 like this.
  4. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Yep 17 seconds does not a great song make.

Frank and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  5. JonBristol

JonBristol Forum Resident

Favourite songs on NEW?

6. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

III si so damn good...I put the Wings GH Cd anda the kid said: " old McCartney?--- yep, you like those? ---No, the dice one álbum ---III--- has better songs" muy son has 18 and loves Rubber Soul and Let It Be :D

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Lots of them. I don't know if I prefer MCIII over New.
    Well, I guess it's all subjective. Paul also plays excellent descending chromatic power chords during the chorus.

@wino14 My suggestion would be to give a fresh listen to MCIII sometime soon. So many great songs. Anyway, it's up to you :)

JonBristol likes this.
  8. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Agreed, I just bought the CD a couple weeks ago after hearing it when it first came out. It sounds really good played loud thru speakers, not headphones.

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Such a great song. Love this record. Paul’s best. Not a clunker in the bunch. Love killer late career albums

10. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Who can believe it has been two years since this album's release? Based on the premise, it should be one of my favorite Macca albums, but it's not.

McCartney II is one of my favorite albums by anyone, the reason I like it is because Paul didn't care about what anyone else thought. That album was adventurous in a way we haven't seen sense. Maybe a flash on Press To Play and the Fireman albums. But contextually, the third (or second if you don't count RAM) McCartney solo album since breaking up from the Beatles is the album of Temporary Secretary, Nobody Knows, Bogey Music and Frozen Jap?! Paired with classic songs like Coming Up, Summer's Day Song, and One Of These Days. The stones he had to do that is unmatched, right at the beginning, second album in of a huge contract with Columbia.

I wanted that from McCartney III, that exploration, that sense of wonder and playfulness. We didn't get that. Even songs that are supposed to be out there like Long Tailed Winter Bird and Deep Deep Feeling come off very put together and well constructed. And I like them, I like the album. The album is very very solid, but I wanted that McCartney II vibe through the filter of a near 80 year old Macca and through modern technology. I know he has it in him.

All in all, we were so lucky in that time to get Find My Way, Lavatory Lil, Slidin', and Winter Bird/When Winter Comes. I can't hear the latter at the end of the album without tearing up. Magical song and end to the album. McCartney III is great but too safe.

I was going through a bad rough patch around this time, who wasn't? It was a dark era, at least for me, but I will always so appreciate what brightness Paul led me through to help find my way back to normal.

Now, LET'S GET A NEW ALBUM ALREADY OLD MAN! :D

jeremylr, Who Cares, supermd and 4 others like this.
  11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

No let's get something that showcases his real writing skills and not something that clearly sounds like he was just goofing off, playing around, and not being serious about making a really good album!
    So get the band in the studio bring in some really well-written material and record a really good album and not something that sounds like a complete throwaway.

12. manco

manco Forum Resident

The original McCartney(1970) was seminal in the lo-fi self-made record movement, although made by a multi-millionaire Beatle. It showed you could make a great record on a shoestring. Even George Harrison at the time said he was impressed by Maybe I'm Amazed and Every Night. Nothing positive from John or Ringo.

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Definitely in the top 5 of the albums he's released in the last 10 years!!

14. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Weren’t those two tracks recorded at Abbey Road?

15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It's Paul's Some Time in NYC (which also has its defenders).

16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Some people see Paul as a guy who functions best in the context of a band. Others see him as being at his best when he’s more or less on his own.

With so many fans of varying ages as Paul has, it’s not surprising that there are a varying perspectives.

Personally, I think the creative essence of McCartney is working on his own, writing everything and playing everything. McCartney III is exactly what I want.

51IS, Who Cares, WestAussie85 and 7 others like this.
  17. manco

manco Forum Resident

Don't go trying to change the narrative!

18. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

:D:D:D

19. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

In my mind New, Egypt Station and McCartney III are a wonderful late-career trilogy. One could make a 12-14 track collection pulled from these three albums that is really a stellar piece of work for an artist in his 70s, considering most artists his age take 7 years to make 1 album, and he made three.

Individually the 3 albums and ancillary tracks from this 7-year period are flawed (based on high standards) but really really solid.

Personally, I enjoy these last three records together more than his original 1990s output (Off the Ground, Flaming Pie and Rushes).

20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Mc III remains a step down for me. It's ok. He had a good run. He hasn't created a lesser album prior to the one before since Driving Rain. Chaos through Egypt is an immensely solid span of work.

Don't get me wrong, I like every Paul album, but Mc III is a weaker outing.

Here's to the next twenty years of amazing new albums by Paul!

:cheers:

21. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

III is classic McCartney. Can't imagine him matching it again though.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  22. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Yeah I'm wondering if Paul views McCartney III has his last album statement, a bookend of sorts, especially with the really old track ending the record...Having your final record hit #1 is a nice cherry on top, too... and perhaps whatever music comes out after III won't be in LP form?

Just curious about how he views it. He did say something in response to the question of whether there are bonus tracks from McCartney III that was to the effect of "these are all bonus tracks." Maybe he releases just singles and EPs going forward, or maybe if it's a full length next, it could be a combination of new compositions, collaborations with other artists/singers and remakes of past songs/covers, maybe it's remixes and experimental tracks based on his Soundchecks like he's mentioned thinking of, or a resurrection of some of the Geoff Emerick sessions material from 2009?...Will be interesting to see, but I just don't think we can bank on Paul's next release being a conventional album.

If he does release a traditional LP in 2023, that'll be his fourth album in the last 10 years, which is incredible, especially considering Egypt Station and its bonus cuts amount to a bona fide double album.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

McCartney himself has said he enjoys being in a band and that's clearly where the majority of his best material has been.
    McCartney III is everything that's wrong with McCartney's music.
    I hope he doesn't, time to get back with his band and make a really good album.

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I’m almost positive Ringo complimented Paul on “Maybe I’m Amazed” but don’t feel like trolling through my endless Beatles archive to find the reference.:D

25. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Care to elaborate on this?