Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Paul went on record saying they both recorded lead guitar parts on the album. But it's mostly Paul's.

theMess, 905 and Paulwalrus like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

It is sad. I'm sad because Paul is my most absolute favorite and I'm just skipping page after page of this thread not really enjoying any of it. I'm not listening until it's in my hands and then I shall rejoice.

I guess after the incredible joy I had with you all on the Egypt Station threads, this experience has been a relative downer with the leak.

Anyway. For those waiting . . . do not despair. We've not had a Paul album without a single before in a long, long, long time.

It's going to be amazing to hear this album in it's entirety for the first time. For me it will be a once in a lifetime experience and I intend to relish it.

3. Claudio Dirani

Calm down. I guarantee that reading about it shall not hurt your listening. ;);)
    Anyway, based on over 20 years of internet forums, the best way to avoid spoilers is vanishing. :D

4. Claudio Dirani

Plus, another important reflection on the subject: the decision of pushing back its release date will definitely not help. Unless they'll be adding something extra to compensate the leaking.

5. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Sorry...there's nothing amateurish about the guitar solo on "House of Wax". Not sure how you feel the need to be dismissive of something like that.

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

We are all trying to keep it under wraps as much as we can to long timers here. We don't want the world getting it ahead of time.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Well, that could have something to do with it, of course!

Lewisboogie and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  8. SimplyPut

SimplyPut Forum Resident

I think that Paul does that outstandingly well if he "composes" the guitar part or guitar solo... if he really comes up with a melody for it. It is with good reason that the Maybe I'm Amazed guitar part is essentially reproduced by Rusty Anderson in live shows. The guitar part of "Distractions" on the other hand is repeating the song's main melody which is very appropriate for the song (and composed by Paul, of course).

The guitar solo on "Lavatory Lil" sounds more like a bluesy improvisation done on the spot. I agree that that one is unremarkable. But Paul has proved that he can do better. For me, the C-Link solo falls in between. It is not as inventive and strong as the part in "Maybe I'm Amazed", but it serves the song and the contrast to the orchestra quite well. I think that "Hunt You Down / Naked / C-Link" is one of Egypt Station's best tracks, and especially C-Link is a fantastic ending for the album.

Lewisboogie and Paulwalrus like this.
  9. Claudio Dirani

The album is "out" but we can't say the same on its tracklisting!
    Maybe I'm amazed.

Bemagnus and Paulwalrus like this.
  10. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

And even though it’s not “his” song- we can’t forget to mention Taxman. And Good Morning, Good Morning.

theMess, Tord, 905 and 4 others like this.
  11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I find it cold and mechanical. Funny how we perceive the same things differently.

12. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

It's good indeed.

Darrin L. likes this.
  13. SimplyPut

SimplyPut Forum Resident

I sympathize with all of you who do not like the idea that the album is "out". But I personally do not think that it makes that much a difference nowadays. Nearly everyone has a streaming subscription and is going to be able to hear McCartney III starting December 18th without paying any extra money. The people that are nevertheless willing to buy the album (whether on vinyl, on CD or as a download) will do so - regardless if it can be obtained earlier in diminished sound quality.

When people get to hear the album for the first time (me included), they want to share their first impressions. When they later discover new aspects and adapt their verdict with further listens, they want to converse about their listening evolution. Pausing this process of digestion and appreciation, imposing a communication lockdown and only come out of it after three weeks of "leak quarantine" would feel very unnatural to me. I get, however, that it would be nicer for the community if we all "opened our present" at the same time...

Let's not forget: The positive reviews from journalists AND fans can create a buzz that might actually help the album, sales-wise and streaming-wise.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  14. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Maybe there should be another thread, where no comments on the songs are allowed, for those who haven't heard it.

Lewisboogie, 905 and Prudence1964 like this.
  15. mandtman

mandtman Forum Resident

One thing to keep in mind: the vast majority of who have heard the album on this forum have heard it in much less than stellar quality (me included). As members of an audiophile forum, I think most of us agree that we enjoy music more when presented in the highest possible quality. This is why I’m refraining from talking about impressions. I can tell there’s a lot to enjoy, but I need the veil to be removed from the sound before I can really know how I feel.

theMess, omikron, Max Wilbury and 3 others like this.
  16. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I think once the cat's out the bag, there's no stopping in. I've enjoyed reading the reviews on here in the same way that I've always enjoyed official previews that serve to whet the appetite, "hearing" the songs through a combination of wordsmithery and imagination!

That said, the thread does seem to be sinking into a post-honeymoon period for those early starters, which is a bit of an odd phenomenon given there are still plenty who haven't heard it and it's not officially available for another two weeks +!

17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Agreed. No, it's not better, but at times he uses it very well on new material. And it's absolutely right for some of his later songs, especially on Egypt Station. I just hope he doesn't go back to trying to sing songs he just can't pull off anymore, like Maybe I'm Amazed.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The electric guitar on To many People

theMess, coco77, Sean Murdock and 4 others like this.
  19. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

We are talking two different things. Those breaks were well thought out and structured. I’m talking about his improvational skill in jams. He’s not gonna hang with the Allman brothers.

20. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

I love that break. In fact I like the studio version better than Jimmy McCullough’s on the live album

The Band, Yorick, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  21. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Well of course not, silly, the Allman brothers are dead. ;):hide:

dunkoid and Floatupstream like this.
  22. Emil Zatopek

Emil Zatopek Forum Resident

I've listened to the preview. Not for one moment his voice bothered me. Yeah sure it's got limitations but he sounds ok. No strain or embarassments.

That said, my favourites:
    Find My Way
    Slidin
    Kiss of Venus
    Seize the Day
    When Winter Comes

23. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

The last several dozen pages remind me why I'm so excited for It's a Wonderful Life. There won't be any comments about Paul's voice because he won't be on the cast recording.

I like Paul's current voice, but the constant complaining about (and then the defense of) it's quality is a little tedious.

Like a handful of others, I'm avoiding the dubious leak - I don't necessarily object to leaks, but I've been scared off by the low quality of the transfer (or whatnot.)

Max Wilbury and Oaw like this.
  24. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

25. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

After the first and so far single listening on yesterday night I can recall a couple of melodies from the album, which is wonderful (Find My Way and Sliding).

nowhereman87 and Rocco like this.