Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

So do I, that's why it's first on my list, but Egypt Station is close.

Who Cares likes this.
  2. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Maybe I am wrong, who knows. Do you like how his voice is mixed in "Despite Repeated Warnings"?

3. No

SimplyPut and Pianoman99 like this.
  4. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I try very hard not to bring excess baggage to my listening experience, so things like that I really don't pay attention to unless it just jumps out at me, like what he did with his voice on the studio version of the song Coming Up, you can't help but notice it. It's the overall sound that I pay attention to and whether I like what I hear. So no I don't have a problem with the mix of his voice in Despite Repeated Warnings.

5. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Subjectively, yes...

6. Pianoman99

I quite like the studio version of Coming Up, I think it was original at the time. Maybe originality is what I miss in Egypt Station. It is a little bit of everything, but in the end "nothing real" and quite unfocused. Not sure how I should put it in words. I quite like it, but it is not so special to me as e.g. Memory, Chaos or Pie.

Lewisboogie and Who Cares like this.
  7. Pianoman99

Yeah, of course. I rather put that question in the room to understand why some people think it is so special. Maybe it will grow on me. So far I like it, but it is not a fantastic one to me. But who knows, that might change.

The Band likes this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Hey, everyone likes what they like. Just like this new album McCartney III, I've listened several times now and it does nothing for me, but that's just me! For those who like it, that's absolutely great!

9. Pianoman99

I still need to listen to it. And I need more time to form an opinion on it. Wondering how people are able to rank it already.

10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

I actually hope not.

11. Runcibletune

Runcibletune Forum Resident

A few hundred pages later but...... that horse is looking very good on the inside of the gatefold, as promised

tug_of_war and The Band like this.
  12. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

In theory, yes. Maybe the stories are not available in all countries.

Rocco likes this.
  13. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

There’s no right or wrong.

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

For me, it really only takes one maybe two listens, but I wanted to give this new one a really thorough listen and that's how I can form my opinion.

15. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Egypt Station has:
    4 rockers
    4 piano ballads
    1 bossa-nova / lounge
    2 acoustic guitar ballads
    1 commercial contemporary pop
    2 ambient/instrumentals
    1 mid tempo acoustic rock

McCartney III has:
    2 rockers
    1 low tempo piano track (it's not a ballad)
    3 acoustic guitar ballads
    1 instrumental
    1 experimental pop track
    1 pop track
    1 funk/r&b fusion track (?)
    1 soul/experimental/rock track (?)

That's what I love about McCartney albums that showcase his genre versatility. And even though they are very different albums, they both share that same idea of Paul trying out different genres.
    MAF and NEW are very diverse too (although to a lesser extent. NEW is more modern pop oriented and has no piano ballads for instance).

Of course Chaos and Creation has one rocker and one bolero, but the rest are mainly (very good) piano / guitar ballads.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a comprehensive analysis on specific genres. Please don't start correcting whether this track is not funk or that track is actually not a ballad. It's just a broad view of each albums diversity.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think Despite Repeated Warnings is a great number. Just like most of the album it belongs to. I like Egypt Station even more now than when it arrived-something that says a lot.

IMO it s imoissible to compare Egypt Station with McCartneyIII since they are so different from one another. The only song from ES that would fit on McCartneyIII is Confidante. The only song from the new album that would have suited ES is Seize the Day with a bigger production. Otherwise they are albums that are made with totally different purpose and under very different circumstances. New actually has some more experimental stuff on it than ES but experimental in a different way than McCartneyIII

In a way I feel that the first two McCartney albums are the ones the new album can be compared with. Not because they sound similar but all of them were made by Paul doin everything himself and doin what he felt like doin without considering what others might think. Of course the the decades that s passed since these albums were made has changed Paul and his way of constructing music. What is the same though is Paul’s incredible talent for picking up melodies out of thin air. It s unbelivable he still can find them.

17. Pianoman99

Great idea. But Macca wants to appeal to younger people. That's why it won't happen.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess the wondruous Scared from New could pass as a piano-ballad

19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

There's the first video clip before the playlist, but after that, no clips about the songs.

Paulwalrus and Who Cares like this.
  20. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Yes, you are right! Although as it's hidden, when I think of the general feel of the album no piano ballads tend to come to mind :targettiphat:

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There are many mysteries within music
    Like how Dylan could leave Blind Willie McTell out of Infidels
    Or why Paul put one of his most heartfelt ballads Scared as an uncredited bonus-track on New

22. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

If only MAF was mastered properly and not horrible on the ears from loudness. I even have the vinyl and i don’t recall it being much different. It’s obviously not as loud but the mastering for the album is still apparent

23. sdldawn

sdldawn Forum Resident

I’m guessing iii is gonna be mastered decent i hope. It’s hard to tell from the leak, which still blows my mind anyone would want to leak something in that kind of quality.

24. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

Thank you for sharing your feelings and memories. It is obvious, you loved him and miss him.
    At the same time, isn't music great for allowing and often even finding emotions? At least that's my own experience.

I know this is off topic. I have been talking about this song a lot recently, but I think it's a masterpiece. She wrote it for her granddad who died two years ago, and made it her first single after finally agreeing to a record contract. She said her tears were flowing as she was in the booth recording, but putting down the words, turning them into music helped her.
    The video's images have been created by her and her grandma. She has been singing as long as she had a voice, but even as a child she acknowledged too much exposure could damage her integrity. Now she feels ready to take the next step from a totally stunning Youtuber who covers tracks like I Put A Spell On You, Gloomy Sunday or Aretha Franklin's A Natural Woman, Queen, to professionally recording artist on a major label.
    Please meet Angelina Jordan. She's 14.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about that portrait always disturbs me...

It doesn't quite look like Paul McCartney. I think somehow between the angle of the forehead and the way it looks like they may have chiseled off a chunk of his upper lip [and philtrum]... :yikes:

Who Cares likes this.