Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Someone recorded a broadcast with a cellphone, that's why it sounds that way. In fact, I suspect two people recorded it with their cellphones. I think the leak is a "compilation" of two sources, because two tracks has noticeable stereo separation while everything else is mono.

It's basically an "audience recording" of a studio album.

BeatleJWOL and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Sound-wise McCartney III is superb.

3. tug_of_war

Can we rest assured that it wasn't mixed neither mastered by the same amateur monkeys that screwed "Memory Almost Full" and "Egypt Station"?

Wingspan, Exotiki and SRC like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

She is pretty amazing!

Who Cares and hEARt PhoniX like this.
  5. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I don't want to add to any negativity, I love Paul, looking forward to III, but when I read comments like these, I start to feel a little more sane in regards to my feelings about those records. Composition-wise, vocal-wise, fine with me, but I found it extremely hard to appreciate those albums because of their sound, and I'm no audiophile either. I was shocked when MAF came out, and really disappointed since I loved Chaos so much.

Exotiki and tug_of_war like this.
  6. tug_of_war

Wow! I was expecting to hear the voice of a kid but she sounds like Adele!

Beautiful song, she does have talent! I love the tone of the piano, by the way.

Who Cares likes this.
  7. tug_of_war

Same here, I'm not an audiophile either - which only goes to show how awful those records sound.

SRC likes this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Not bad. But [as this is a Sir Mac thread] I was a bit disappointed it wasn't anything like the second half of this:

Lovich likes this.
  9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I think Paul's lips are just pursed, like when you inhale when someone says to you "sit up straight, dad, I'm taking your photo!"

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'm curious just because the front of the album seems like the kind of artwork that would lend itself to a minimal or even all black back cover with the song titles in the same font. But we are told Mary took the "cover photo," so that theory is out the window. Maybe it's a portrait we haven't seen yet.

11. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I'm in agreement with you on this. Despite repeated listening, McCartney III just isn't working for me. I'm glad it has received great reviews because the last thing I want is for it to be slagged off by the critics and disliked by me also. McCartney doesn't deserve that.

jammincrowe and SimplyPut like this.
  12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

The album has a core of 5 songs that for me are as good as what he's done in recent years a couple I would class as brilliant. Not all of it is great though (like most of his albums)
    Opinions vary on McCartney solo's work, I prefer the more experimental works like Macca 2, Electric Arguments and RAM whilst others like London Town, Tug of War, Band on the Run.
    His work is so diverse and as you can see with the rankings on his recent work on here its rare everyone agrees, but for that diversity I rank him higher then most artists and this isn't including his Beatles work

Paulwalrus, Rocco and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. SimplyPut

SimplyPut Forum Resident

I do not have own a turntable myself (just thinking about buying one), but I remember that I heard that the MAF Vinyl was not that loud. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that this was discussed and demonstrated on the Take Away Podcast episode (again: RIP Ryan Brady) that had MAF as its subject matter. And I remember being astonished how much better the LP sounded than what I was used to from the digitally distributed audio.

coco77, Lewisboogie and tug_of_war like this.
  14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I fixed that (thought it was common knowledge around this forum). MAF is quite listenable to those who have what I did to it.

jammincrowe and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. SimplyPut

SimplyPut Forum Resident

I am late to the party, but here is my 21st century ranking of Paul's albums

1. Chaos and Creation in The Backyard
    2. Egypt Station
    3. McCartney III
    4. Memory Almost Full
    5. Kisses on The Bottom
    6. New
    7. Electric Arguments
    8. Driving Rain

Remarks:
    • Chaos is my favorite Solo McCartney album of all time. I rank it on par with Beatles albums (haven't really thought about where exactly) because it has many great songs and practically no filler, different from most Solo McCartney stuff
    • The positioning of McCartney III in this ranking is a preliminary one, of course. I am totally into "Deep Deep Love" at the moment, and I love Find My Way, Pretty Boys, Women and Wives, Kiss of Venus and the gorgeous When Winter Comes. That's a lot of enthusiasm which earns it a #3 at the moment

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  16. mandtman

mandtman Forum Resident

I'm still surprised people are able to rank McCartney III without hearing it in great quality. I can tell it will make a difference for me - for example, I loved the clip of Long Tailed Winter Bird in the first trailer, but the low quality leak didn't do much for me. I put that down at least partially to sound quality. Looking forward to hearing it in high resolution on the 18th!!

Dean R, Max Wilbury, jmxw and 5 others like this.
  17. SimplyPut

SimplyPut Forum Resident

I concur. I got "Find My Way" and "Winterbird / When Winter Comes" from that Beatle radio show in decent quality. But with the other tracks, an improved sonic impression could change my appreciation of those tracks - hopefully for the better, not the worse. Although I did not explicitly mention that, this is one factor that makes the position of McCartney III in my ranking preliminary.

That being said, since this is a thread focussing on McCartney III, I felt compelled to not leave it out, to convey my (preliminary) opinion on it.

18. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Agreed

19. dbspurs

dbspurs Forum Resident

I must be missing something with Egypt Station. IMO it is one of his worst albums.

I would put it above Press To Play and McCartney II but there are no songs that rival even the best songs on those albums.

A couple of 8/10's, a few 7 or 6/10's and the rest is below average or poor.

Chaos is head and shoulders his best album this century and since then it has been pretty much diminishing returns with each new album.

Looking forward to McCartney III but having enjoyed about half of New and barely any of Egypt Station I am slightly pessimistic.

Cledwyn, Yorick, RAJ717 and 2 others like this.
  20. grorr76

grorr76 Forum Resident

I have MAF on vinyl. The US pressing to be exact its miles better than the cd. Its really the only way to hear this album. I also have driving rain on vinyl, which as a cd had the same problems again on vinyl its miles ahead of the cd and a much more pleasant listen.

SimplyPut and tug_of_war like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well when I heard most of the Beatles, Kinks or
    whoevers music for the first time I often heard them on crappy transistor-radios and similar sources. That didn t stop the music to hit my Young soul like a hammer
    I recognice music I like when I hear it-no matter the source. To fully enjoy it though soundquality is crucial.
    Im more surprised people think they can rank the album this early in the game

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nothing like hearing Satisfaction for the first time in 65 coming out of 4 inch radio speaker. Couldn't wait to hear it again!

beatlesblogger likes this.
  23. andrewhh

andrewhh Forum Resident

I don't know if this has already been mentioned (I gave up on reading every single page after the leak), but the McCartney III songbook is now available to pre-order outside of the US. I found it on Book Depository, but it is probably available through other suppliers too. Notably, it will be released over a week before the album (December 9)! Maybe we should get together as a forum and record our own version of McCartney III to put out on the original release date of December 11. ;)

Paul McCartney - III : Paul McCartney : 9781705127896

24. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I totally agree.

I mean, hell, some of my very favorite Beatles music are the 1962 Star Club recordings. I know the audio quality is completely crappy, but that doesn’t stop the music from being like a tidal wave of rock n roll.

If the music is good enough, you’ll know it, regardless of the sound quality.

25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I believe the 2 better sounding tracks were from the Andre Gardner radio broadcast

tug_of_war likes this.