Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Yeah. I don't know how he does it. I stepped away from it after a few listens and then came back to it. It really works.

The funny thing is, I really didn't care for 'Long Tailed Winter Bird' on the first listen or so. It reminded me of the kind of track a garage band would do just to test their new recording equipment. A 'just play anything so we can get levels and see if the machine works' kind of track.

But even now I dig it. THAT track as well as the entire album remind me of what Paul Simon's 'Stranger To Stranger' album was about...sound. Different types of sound. It's a 'sound' album to me. Less about the songs so much as the sound the songs make. Make sense? Or...to quote the Swami and the late Peter Tork in 'Head':

"But then, why should anyone listen to me? Why should I speak, since I know nothing?"

2. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

The 'smoky tint' cassette if anyone is curious. Basically a regular cassette. :)

The first side you will note says 'McCartney..." His name with three dots. The second side just says 'McCartney III'. Or as my Siri says when I ask to play it in the car off of my iPhone, "McCartney Eye, Eye, Eye" :)
    IMG_6208.JPG

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think I just got a 4th notice today. Someone at MPL keeps hitting the snooze button on their reminder to “turn off email blast”...

Lewisboogie and Durango88 like this.
  4. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Full interview

Mkirk, 13605, DRM and 9 others like this.
  5. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete

Wait, what? 4? You're ahead of me, I want my 4th mail too:magoo:

Olivier Northern Son and mrjinks like this.
  6. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Our opinions on the album are poles apart but we DO agree on that cover of Lavatory Lil! Amazing!!

7. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

It didn’t grab me at first listen either. Then I found myself singing it while walking round the supermarket...

Durango88 and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Limited Edition Thread - Message 19,866 of 50,000

Did this thread really start nearly 2 and a half years ago, before everything that led to this being recorded at home through no other choice, rather than by design?

After all I and II were recorded 50 and 40 years ago respectively!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  9. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

Are you ready kids????
    [​IMG]

CmoonL7, Hawkman and jmxw like this.
  10. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

With you 100% Bemagnus.

Bemagnus likes this.
  11. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Time to start working backwards maybe.

12. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

After having this album with me for a few days, I've found myself listening to it quite a bit, in the rotation with my Christmas CDs and the 2 latest Taylor Swift albums. I've even been playing it in the car while stopping here and there to get things from the store!

The only thing I think I'd want is a shorter cut of "Deep Deep Feeling", as it's not really a song that would lend itself to being that long. But that's a minor point for me. Apart from that, I really like this album!

Received my Barnes & Noble blue copy over the weekend and the red Third Man edition is on its way. That leaves the white independent store version and I'll have the ones I ordered online.

I've left the Target edition for my wife or daughter to get me, vinyl or CD. That will be the first one I open and play from a physical media standpoint, as that's the one that matters most to me, given it's from them.

Paulwalrus and Who Cares like this.
  13. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

Not surprised this has only had one like. But it’s all opinions and yours is fair enough.

Resroc62 likes this.
  14. Did I ever?

Did I ever? Forum Resident

15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

16. James McCartney

James McCartney Forum Resident

Egypt Station was number 1 in the USA. This is the UK they're talking about.

17. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

My company sold Paul a Brenell Mk 5 about 15 years ago. I offered to hand deliver it to Hog Hill Mill (!) but they sent some young guy. Damn!! Always wondered if it’s the same one whenever I’ve caught a glimpse of a reel to reel, or what Paul has used it for in the years since.

18. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

This roll out is a bit different for me this time.

My orders span the U.S., Canada, U.K., France, and Japan. But so far nothing has arrived yet. No lps, cds, or "toys". Usually at least Amazon sets something at my door on release day. But not this time.

If I had the Target green lp preorder, I'd still be waiting to hear the music. I have it only because I had to go out in search of the green that sold out on the pre-order.

Just an observation. I realize that between the delays in the scheduled release, the COVID, and winter weather, stuff can happen. Just glad I had a record to play on release day.

Tracey, jmxw, Who Cares and 4 others like this.
  19. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

You should have paid off that young guy...or you know...kick his ass:D

raveoned likes this.
  20. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I'm frankly amazed that I got the Barnes & Noble version so quickly! I am, however, pretty much resigned that my other versions will be getting here with quite a delay, which worries me a little. I don't like when vinyl I order gets delayed somewhere, as it invites more time and chances to get damaged or broken.

Sargon likes this.
  21. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I have Barnes orders in too, but haven't seen anything from them either. But it's all good because I never planned to open my blue. I was going to open my "dice white" one, but later preferred the lime green one to spin. Good thing the blue didn't show up before I got the green. It would be saying, "Play me! Play me!". I'd probably have "weakened".:sweating:

raveoned likes this.
  22. Ed59

Ed59 Forum Resident

One interesting thing about this album for me is how my impressions of the songs keep shifting (usually for the better!). I already like "Deep Down" better than I did on initial listens, and will keep listening with an open mind!:)

23. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

The push for a #1 continues. For the next 3 days, Amazon is selling the MP3 for $3.99

24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree
    Most of the songs requiers multiple listenings. There is an attention to details in most arrangements that is pretty amazing
    Whatever one think about this album no-could or should the craftmanship that Paul has put into it.

Resroc62 and Ed59 like this.
  25. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I found this rather disappointing; the Apple interviews with Zane and the likes of Kevin Parker and Taylor Swift were very focused on the new material whereas most of this was about John and the Beatles.