Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I know I stand to have my SHF membership card revoked but, I would love to see McCartney engage with the BTS army.
    Those fans are earnest and one of the great 'clubs' on the planet. An all out BTS/McCartney duet would likely not work,
    but just acknowledging them would go a long way. Perhaps in an interview. Honest to goodness, just seeing the spine
    of one of their albums in a pile of LPs beside a record player in the background of a photoshoot - yes, everything is staged,
    would generate a lot of free, cross generational promotion.

If however, he could get them to acknowledge him, then wow.

2. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Kisses is an awful album vocally speaking. His albums since have used voice retuning and are much the better for it.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Ethan Johns says otherwise. Watch Something New.

Or take it from Paul himself:
    "When I was working with Ethan Johns on this album, I brought him a couple of acoustic songs. He said: ‘Just come down to the studio. Just go down there and play it.’ So I did that, we did a take and he says: ‘That’s great!’ So I came back up and I said: ‘A bit of the vocal is a bit wobbly, I’m sure I can sing that a bit better.’ He said: ‘But it’s you! It’s vulnerable, and it sounds really true to life.’ And we left it, and people have said to me: ‘Oh, I like that track.’"

4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, I was also right up front by the stage and I can assure you that I have zero inside connections with team Macca. I even got into Paul's official Instagram photo of the gig! :o I've been to enough GA shows to know that once they open the door (in this case a security rope), you make a bee-line for the stage. Apparently, those girls knew the drill as well. I don't recall much of the conversation other than telling them both that I loved their shirts.

[​IMG]

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Also some songs on his last two albums have been tailored for his voice, of what he can and can't do. Some of those songs have benefited from his aged voice, they've added gravitas.

6. caesarrocking

caesarrocking Forum Resident

Already happened: Paul McCartney Reacts to BTS Singing "Hey Jude".

7. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Incidentally, December 11th has been muted as a possible release date for McCartney lll. Is there any evidence to back this up apart from it's on a Friday?

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Kisses is a fine album vocally speaking and I enjoy it regularly.

9. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Agreed. His voice suits the songs where he needs to elaborate on his emotions, and it works very well. 'I don't know' is a fine example.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Can you even doubt it? December 11 is written numerically as 12-11. As you can see, there are THREE number ones in that numerical value: 12-11

And 111 is the key. They've been planning Macca 111 for decades.

;)

11. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Each to their own. It makes me cringe to be honest, and I quite like some nostalgic songs of yesteryear.

12. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Put it like that, how stupid was I not to cotton on?

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

My ears can't tell if there is or isn't retuning in his voice.
    What I do know is that I like his deeper, aged voice much better than his high pitched young beatle voice.

14. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

Strangely, his voice seems to hold up better on the more rockier numbers in comparison to the slower songs.

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's a matter of taste, and what appeals to each person's ear. For me the song I Don't Know has an okay vocal, whereas a song like My Valentine sounds great.
    Yes, the ballads require more range and as McCartney has grown older his range isn't what it used to be.

tug_of_war and mrjinks like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

For sure. I can't even picture a young Macca vocal improving "People Want Peace," "Confidante" or "Hand in Hand." Whistful, knowing, aged wisdom...those songs are perfect for his 70-something voice.

17. Arnold Grove

I think it has to do with the "wobble" in his aged voice. When he sings a ballad or slow song, there is more space for the wobble to pop up. But when he is barreling through a fast rocker, there is little space for the voice to wobble.

There must be a technical or medical term to describe this.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

They are perfect examples of his current voice being used to suit the songs.

theMess, tug_of_war and beatleroadie like this.
  19. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I hope he does a handful of instrumentals. I hope it's good. I've listened to every album of Paul's and the only decent album he's made in the last 40 years was "Tug of War".

Max Wilbury likes this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

How is it awful vocally? His voice suits the style he was going for perfectly. And what else did you expect from covers like this? Screaming Helter Skelter-esque vocals?

Yes, this album does mark the start of his noticeably aging voice IMO, but I think it works well here.

21. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

My Valentine was the only track that worked for me on Kisses. I wonder if it was because McCartney wrote the song?

Christobal likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Tough critic, ehh?

supermd, Alen, BeatleJWOL and 10 others like this.
  23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Too bad they're just not good songs, Hand In Hand is okay.
    From Kisses this is one of my faves...

24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

If the last album you liked was Tug of War, then maybe don't get your hopes up.

;)

25. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

I think you're right. He also appears to be straining his voice more on the slower numbers. His pitch range now suits the rockier songs more IMO.