Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

You're absolutely right, his range isn't there for some of the slower numbers anymore.

2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Plenty of songs in Paul's back catalog are toss offs. As I said, at least these have a vocal that marries perfectly with the theme and the feel of the tune...not always the case with Macca.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

A lot! Now go away again. We haven’t made that much progress here in WEEKS!
    :p
    So a “true” McCartney album should have natural vocals? Like on Coming Up? o_O
    The first two people who confirmed this album’s existence to me both independently stated it would be out on Dec 11th.

Alen, Tord, ehwalled and 8 others like this.
  4. beatleroadie

I think it would be cool if POB Ultimate and McCartney III came out on the same day. Kinda sweet.

5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

And ATMP 50.

I think I'd faint.

:faint:

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Has there ever been a time when a Macca album and a John album came out the same week? I'd be surprised if that ever occurred.

7. Arnold Grove

And another iteration of Ringo The 4th on colored vinyl. Hey, Ringo needs to share in the action... ;)

cwitt1980, JDeanB, Calico and 6 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Nothing wrong with a good toss off ... :shh:

9. mrjinks

The 4cd Lennon and Tripping The Live Fantastic were released simultaneously in the US* (a week apart in the UK). Wide Prairie and the Lenthology were a week apart. Ecce Cor Meum and The US vs. JL were released simultaneously.

That’s all I can find.

*Wilburys second album also came out the same day.

theMess, Alen, AlienGirlWorx and 5 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

:righton:

11. mrjinks

Your question’s timing was perfect, because I’ve been working on a combined discography with release dates (as best as possible). It’s been a lot of back and forth between books and online sources and so on. Plus US and UK dates generally vary, at least until the last few years, when we’ve gone to universal Friday dates...

theMess likes this.

12. Yeah, there is a technical-medical term for Macca not wobbling while singing a rocker - it’s called : CRUSHED IT! ;)

13. You and the other folks that brought up Beatles/Paul Marketing info have all been informative and all have some opinions I agree with.

BUT - if I’m not mistaken, there is one crucial name missing that was King at it until his untimely death - BRIAN ‘ Freakin ‘ EPSTEIN!

(Apologies, if I missed it). :)

14. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Main reason he should stop with the multitude of Beatle songs in concert.

Who Cares and tug_of_war like this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I hope it has some of the RAM vibe too.

16. Resroc62

Resroc62 Forum Resident

[QUOTE So a “true” McCartney album should have natural vocals? Like on Coming Up? o_O
    [/QUOTE]

Coming Up was a deliberate use of technology to alter his voice to create something different mainly on the backing vocals. There was still a naked feel to his voice on both albums which would be a mistake if replicated on McCartney lll.

17. suffragette

suffragette McCartney vocal freak

His rocky voice consists of some compression + distortion / growl, which applied to the original keys he sings in it -almost- completely avoids his mix and goes straight up. It became increasingly harder for him to access his mix (let's say speaking voice + midrange) because of excessive touring, as has been discussed here on many opportunities. Some parts of vocal range fade faster with age than others, specially if you don't take good care of them. For an experienced singer who was worn out much of his mixed voice it CAN be easier to find higher notes (think about the way he still hits C5 on Live and let die, B4 Helter Skelter, C#5 The End, but he can't manage slow numbers). You still need mixed voice in order to go up to higher notes, but he lost control specifically around f#4 and a4 (passaggio zone) and that's why he sometimes adds unnecesary rasp on those notes, as a way of connecting they can "belong" to his upper range and there's no big risk of shakyness, going flat or simply missing the note.

Think about Maybe I'm Amazed: Awesome on 2002 tour. Still good on 2005. 2010: Acceptable. 2013 as well. Budokan 2015 was a very unusual "chesty" mix altogether, which surprised me after he had to reschedule the shows. The difference between his mixed voice at the first verse and the "rocky" chorus voice was a lot more noticeable by the end of One on One. His mixed voice got weaker and weaker and sounded painful on 2016 to me -nevertheless, I still bought the ticket... because that's what you do, right?.

It got better after that. I remember him on that live stream where he announced the 2017 Australian dates mentioning he was taking care of his voice, or getting some lessons. I don't know if that's true or not, but 2016 to 2018 was a major improvement. His 2019 concert in Argentina was by far better than the 2016 one. His mixed voice was much lighter, but still there, and still mixed.

I think it was wise to avoid certain songs recently. The long and winding road, Fool on the hill, Here there and Everywhere piano version (ugh!) , My Love, Yesterday, etc, long, slow songs where air management doesn't work as it used to, wobble comes in and mixed voice sounds thin and tired as you point out. Of course there are moments where he still needs to go that way, i.e Let it Be.
    I love his 2010 Hyde Park gig. It showcases a still really strong and energic McCartney and an amazing vocal delivery for an almost 70 y/o, with little to no noticeable vocal breaks or sections to be avoided.
    I think we all miss his characteristic sweet mixed voice (Distractions, Golden Earth Girl, Put it there, Calico Skies, I'm Carrying, I Do, Jenny Wren, You Tell Me...). Hand in hand was kind of a nice comeback to that.

I don't really care about the 2020 wobble as long as it's surrounded by singing mccartneyisms. He has sang enough.

I have a feeling most of us here will still be buying his albums in 2075. Can you imagine the wobble when he hits 133???

18. beatleroadie

e
    Coming Up was a deliberate use of technology to alter his voice to create something different mainly on the backing vocals. There was still a naked feel to his voice on both albums which would be a mistake if replicated on McCartney lll.[/QUOTE]

The vocal effect on Coming Up was the "AutoTune" of 1979/80.

tug_of_war, theMess and ARK like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't think there's a single song on McCarney II with a "naked feel to his voice."

supermd, theMess, Alen and 5 others like this.
  20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise. I like the cross referencing - I'll have to look up all those versions of Maybe I'm Amazed. I do think McCartney has adjusted to his new voice in recent years.

And while maybe not on display on this new album, being off the road this year surely preserves his voice for the next project.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Alen and A Local Bloke like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

:rolleyes:

Well there you have it, folks. Throw out your copies of Flowers in the Dirt, Choba b CCCP, Flaming Pie, Run Devil Run, Chaos and Creation, Memory Almost Full, Electric Arguments, and NEW, because they all apparently suck.

22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

One of the features of the album is that every track features some sort of effect on his voice.

JDeanB and theMess like this.
  23. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Don't forget Driving Rain, Egypt Station, Amoeba Gig, Tripping The Live Fantastic, Ecce Cor Meum, Off The Ground, Giving My Regards To Broad Street, Pipes Of Peace + Archive material, Press To Play, Kisses On The Bottom/Complete Kisses, Liverpool Oratio, Standing Stone, Working Classical, Ocean's Kingdom, Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest, Rushes, Twin Freaks, Liverpool Sound Collage, Unplugged, Paul Is Live, Good Evening N.Y.C., Back In The U.S./World, Oobu Joobu, Anthology, iTunes Festival; London, iTunes from Capitol Studios, Flaming Pie Archive material, Flowers In The Dirt Archive material, Piles of non-album singles and B-Sides and loads of live videos, live performances and TV specials

Who Cares, JDeanB, theMess and 4 others like this.
  24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Hey @mrjinks or anyone, just how certain are we about the release date? Would love to have it a little or a lot sooner...