Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Sassafras & Moonshine

Hey, I'd love to hear your album.

I had a similar story during 2020 but with a tragic ending.
    I hadn't done any music since my mother discovered a brain cancer in 2017 and, to cut a very long story short, became my daughter. Me and my younger brother nursed her for three years and during this period I had no energy left for anything else.

Then in December of 2019 I found myself writing lyrics. I wrote a lot of stuff. It was a theraphy; my feelings and thoughts about my dissolving family.

By March 2020 I started putting music to them as well as recording the basic tracks whenever I had some time to rest. In four months I had composed, arranged and recorded the backing tracks for 11 songs and had 5 others to start working on.

On August 04th my mother died while sleeping and I had no interest in anything for a while.

Then, when I thought it was about time I resumed working on those songs, an accident occured: I lost all my multi-tracks and had no backup (lesson learned!). All I have now is some rough mixes on 320 kbps :rolleyes:

My initial reaction was a brief wish to quit, but then I thought "to hell with that, I can record all that again and it will sound even better".

One day. Soon...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Sargon

Sargon "Unmasked". General Ursis away on COVID lockdown.

Powerful story. Thanks for sharing this with us.

3. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I hope you find the emotional strength and physical energy to do that, and to honour the memory of your mother. My very best wishes to you.

joy stinson, mrjinks, Tracey and 5 others like this.
  4. tug_of_war

Thank you :love:

joy stinson likes this.
  5. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I am so sorry for your loss, that is a lot to go through. Taking care of family though is always first priority.

That sucks about losing your mutli-tracks. I've been there. And in the days of tape, more often! But you are correct, if you re-record it, it will probably be better the second time. There are some vocals I'd already like to do on my album, because now that I've heard how they all go, I could sing them better! But I've got new things to turn to.

Thank you for your interest. I'll PM you some links to my album!

joy stinson, mrjinks, Tracey and 3 others like this.
  6. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Those yellows are way different.

Who Cares, Resroc62 and Sargon like this.
  7. tug_of_war

Man, this is really diverse! There's a bit of nearly everything from punk to prog! Cool!

The mixing has a lot of buried stuff and I'm not a fan of that thin snare drum sound, but the songs... :love: Pretty strong songwriting, maan! That's my kind of thing!

The songs that stood out on this first listening were "Beyond The Horizon", "You Can't Stop It", "It's Alright", "The Road Less Travelled", "Falling", "Epilogue To The Future" and "Let Go".

"Laugh Dance" is funny, I like it too and there's "Secondsong": a Masterpiece!!!!

I'll definitely listen to it again. Do you plan on releasing it on physical format? I'm already a purchaser!

:righton:

Ringo Hendrix and PhoffiFozz like this.
  8. PhoffiFozz

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate that. - I don't know if I will release it physically yet. I actually thought of doing a vinyl issue at some point, but I'm not sure.

9. calluses

calluses Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, were they identical in colour? My FNAC blue seems to be a lot lighter than the B&N blue that I see from photos online.

10. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

Got my CD a few days ago and been listening to it in my car on drives.
    Well if 'Walls and Bridges' was made by a semi sick craftsman then McCartney 3 was made by a blind, deaf and paraplegic geriatric with mental issues.
    Whatever flame of genius Paul McCartney possessed is now either extinguished of burning very low indeed.
    Only 'Women and Wives' and 'Lavatory Lil' are passable.
    'Women and Wives' had potential to be better.
    Also his production these days is on a par with Jeff Lynne in processed mush.
    He's also trying to be too hip and sound like someone like Katy Perry.
    It sounds to me like Paul has just written the first thing that came to mind and recorded it.

Cledwyn and RockyRoll like this.
  11. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

@PhoffiFozz I listened to some of your album on Spotify wow I am impressed! All over the place and the layers of harmonies! Bravo. Sorry to derail the thread.

12. tug_of_war

Hello, fellow Todd/Utopia fan. :tiphat:

joy stinson, utopiarun and PhoffiFozz like this.
  13. PhoffiFozz

Thank you. It really means a lot because I put a lot of time into it and I never really thought people outside of my circle would hear it.

joy stinson likes this.
  14. joshbrf

joshbrf Forum Resident

Do you think you could PM me those links too? I’ve been looking for something new to listen to coming off of McCartney III and Barry Gibbs’ Greenfields (both of which I loved!) and from what some others have said it sounds like you have a winner! I use iTunes / Apple Music, not sure if you have it up on them :)

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  15. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

16. Olivier Northern Son

Olivier Northern Son Forum Resident

Hey... all the good yellow was used for the submarine, you know?

jmxw, Who Cares, Sargon and 1 other person like this.
  17. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Received my orange vinyl. I now have every version of III I ordered except the Japan cd.

18. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

oh ****, there's a special 'gravel' edition

19. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

great tastes.

jmxw likes this.
  20. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Folks like you keep harping on fleecing fans, cash grabs, etc..Did you buy any of it? I’ve been a solo fan fifty years and didn’t buy it and haven’t any of the deluxe boxsets, reissued CDs, etc. and have been a loyal fan 50 years. Such releases are only for those who want and can afford them. If you aren’t one of those, and I’m not one, then these and other releases don’t affect you...If those who have bought all of this want to complain, they have a legitimate gripe but you really don’t and I don’t either but I’m not complaining as these items are available for those who like this kind of stuff. I only own one of Macca’s albums of the last twenty years and several of his earlier albums I bought used. I’ve listened to the rest as it’s been posted on YouTube.

OobuJoobu, Cledwyn, madsurfer and 6 others like this.
  21. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

It seems quite simple doesn't it?

Sargon and PhoffiFozz like this.
  22. sadchel

sadchel Forum Resident

Finally received my Red vinyl third man in Canada.

#1515 ss in mint condition

23. A three dot Third Man Yellow and Black just sold for almost $3600 in the UK. Actual sale on eBay
    Damn I’d sell mine for 3k :tiphat:

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My final offer is $2995, which I consider to be a fair and reasonable price. But I refuse to pay an exorbitant $3000.

The ball is in your court... ;)

25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

So what's the "lowest" the TMR 333 has sold for? At this rate........Is it the most expensive and collectible McCartney record out there? Even pricier than an original "Mono Ram" or a "Put It There" promo 45?