Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson 1984 Cancelled Single : " The Man "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Arnie,
    I think that in the good old Beatles tradition (albums were albums, singles were singles), Paul didn't want to release a single from "Ram" (and was perhaps keeping some of the album's outtakes for specific single releases) and let Apple (or rather EMI) do the track selection. A clue to this is that none of the songs for which a promo film was made ("3 Legs" and "Heart Of The Country") were released as single a-sides.

Also, those 3 singles were issued in other countries as well:
    Australia, New Zealand and Chile issued both "Eat At Home" and "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" as singles;
    Japan issued "Eat At Home" as a single;
    Yugoslavia issued "The Back Seat Of My Car" as a single...

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

Maybe Paul didn't know which song was a hit song, so covered all bases by releasing 3 singles. Either way, I'd be surprised if the decision was made by anyone other than Paul. For me, 'Back Seat Of My Car' is the best song, but surprisingly stalled at #39(!) in the UK. I'm very surprised that 'Uncle Albert' made #1 in the US.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Thanks. If it was EMI and Capitol Records who decided, then I guess they each picked whatever they thought would work.

General question with regard to Apple in 1971: Did Paul have to get approval from Apple, and hence Allen Klein (who was still running Apple at this time, right?), to release anything? I mean: Paul was suing the other Beatles to dissolve their partnership, but still was obligated to release his material through Apple for a few more years? Who had the final say in what got released and when? Maybe Paul would talk to Neil Aspinall, who then had to ask Klein (since I doubt Paul would even talk to Klein at this point in time). It really must have been a weird time. No wonder Paul sued. If he hadn't, he'd have to keep releasing his solo stuff on a company run by someone who he hated, and he would only get 1/4th of the profits (via Apple) on that solo album. Of course, he got 1/4th of the profits on All Things Must Pass and Imagine too, but that must have been weird as well. Arnie

4. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

I doubt it, to be honest.
    the song is almost unknown, even for fans of Jackson.

In my opinion, it was a radio single in some European countries.

5. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Arnie,
    Here's one of the most unusual couplings of "Ram" tracks, made in Venezuela.
    And I have no idea if this is "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" in full or really just "Uncle Albert".

[​IMG]

Actually, Peru had a commercial 7" single for "The Man". When McCartney fans discovered this and tried to get this rare import, there was general disappointment because the b-side wasn't the elusive "Blackpool" but the not rare at all"Through Our Love".

[​IMG]

There was hope with this Mexican promo, then...
    But nope, it features "The Man", or rather "El Hombre", on both sides!

[​IMG]

lennonology and CrashU like this.
  6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It is a great song and one of the rare McCartney songs with lyrics that make sense.

A pending pot bust on a boat.

When you write what you know - you usually do your best, Paul.

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Along with Wanderlust No More Lonely Nights and Once Upon A Long A Long Ago are great McCartney ballads.

theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  8. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

wow, thanks for the information. surprising that the song was not released in Europe then it's usually more commercially promising.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh, I thought "The Man" was just more drek ... sorry.

Carserguev, mrjinks and AlienRendel like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

^ Anyone? Thanks in advance, Arnie

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Good questions. I think though that since Paul was an owner he could do whatever he wanted. The only restriction was on release date (as far as I know). I don't think Klein had any creative input at all on what singles were released, etc.

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

However the labels that distributed Apple might had some input. The famous story of A&R man Al Coury convincing Paul to add Helen Wheels to Band on the Run lp and also choosing singles to release. No Klein input on that.

13. Arnold Grove

Yes, that applies too. It's also a shame that Neil Aspinall died and never gave any in-depth interview or anything about his workings at Apple in the early-mid 1970s. I'm guessing that Paul was inclined to only deal with Neil whenever something came up with an Apple-related matter, so it would have been interesting to get Neil's first-hand thoughts. Oh well... Maybe the last volume of Lewisohn's biography set will focus on this time period. I hope the book's chapters don't end in 1970. Arnie

Hep Alien and ampmods like this.
  14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Me too!

15. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I love Paul McCartney's two George Martin produced albums, "Tug Of War" & "Pipes Of Peace". They are together with "Ram" and "Band On The Run" my favourite McCartney recordings! The solo demo of Micheal Jackson's "The Girl Is Mine" that can be heard on the CD single that came out before Thriller 25 is magical. I wish the two could have collaborated more than they did.

905 likes this.
  16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Say Say Say did enough damage in that regard. The prevailing opinion among kids at my school was that McCartney was kind of a middle-aged Rockwell. If he'd released another single with Jackson, it would have really looked pathetic.

Have to agree with this. It's the kind of lightweight pop with doggerel lyrics that I never enjoy from either McCartney or Jackson.

17. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

It is not known, thanks to whom these songs became hits. :D
    Say, say, say - the biggest hit MJ in the U.S. charts ... not Billie Jean, Beat it or Don't stop.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I assume you're basing this on Billboard's arcane and somewhat arbitrary points system based on weeks a song is at number one and in the top ten, twenty, forty, and one-hundred (detailed here). But Billie Jean was number one one week longer than Say Say Say. And more importantly, Billie Jean, Thriller, and Beat It all outsold Say Say Say, which to me makes them bigger hits.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would be surprised if he ended in 1970, I think that he will have a fair amount about what happened afterwards.

20. Dixie4

Dixie4 Member

"The Man" is a great song. Michael's vocals are stellar, as usual ! If it had been released, it would have been a massive hit !

21. steveramon

steveramon New Member

Another scrapped McCartney Single Was
    Distractions/ Lindiana From 1989
    Figure Of Eight Wasc Issued Insted

Calico and Hep Alien like this.
  22. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

...and I hope you all own the album "Las Pipas de la Paz".:)

23. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Sure !

[​IMG]

Rocco, julotto and PhilBiker like this.
  24. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

I am bringing this back up as I just read your post about a possible single release to tie into the POP remaster. I think it would be awesome. Any more rumors?

Now that I know that was Linda on the refrain, I am going to have to go back and listen. I know she is not technically good but always loved how her voice blended in with Wings and on Paul's solo albums.

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yeah, not so much, IMO. Never been a favorite of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.