Paul McCartney Ram 2012 or 2017 vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BDC, Nov 8, 2018.

1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm wanting a copy of this album on vinyl so I have questions for those who might know. I tried the search engine and there were not any good leads on this particular question, though a billion Ram threads. Admittedly I didn't go through the whole haystack. Seems starting a thread was easier. There is a closed Ram Vinyl comparison thread this could be merged with.
    1- What is the difference in the sound between 2012 and 2017, or are they the same mastering?
    2-The 2012 seems well regarded but is a digital remaster, which is no deal breaker providing it has a master special for LP, as opposed to identical CD mastering. The 2012 is a 2 disc set with bonus track. I find this appealing but sound comes 1st. Is 2017 also a digital mastering? They are calling it "audiophile mastering", but I'll leave that to the discriminating ears here on the Hoffman forum.

2012 MPL/Hear music
    2017 Universal

I want the best sound, but prefer not to buy both LP versions. If the better choice is the 2017 for sound, I could get the 2012 on CD for the extras.

Thoughts.........thanks in advance...
    and I don't mind people to post and say they don't know... others may be curious as well.
    Any comment bumps the thread and increases the chance of answers.
    Peace

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  2. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I like the mono version.

3. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Original UK pressing with -1/-1 matrix is the best, if not, than US Apple pressing which is close and IMO good enough, still plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

tug_of_war, blutiga and SixOClockBoos like this.
  4. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

1971 pressing should be better.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

He's asking about the 2012 and 2017. Posting about the 1971 doesn't seem particularly helpful....

Daytripn, 905, Yovra and 21 others like this.
  6. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

It doesn't help, but it's always the best version

7. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

2012 Mono is always the correct answer. Lol

marcb, Mt.Elga, warewolf95 and 3 others like this.
  8. BDC

Comments about original presses are welcome and I may get one sometime, but I'd really like some comments comparing the 2012 and 2017 lps, particularly the latter which I can find very little info..

905 and tug_of_war like this.
  9. BDC

Was it out there originally in a prominent way on lp? Thought stereo was about it by that time?

10. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Mono pressed in limited supply for AM radio stations.

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'm assuming 2012 and 2017 come from the same source and the 2017 recycled stampers.

If this is your easiest way to get a pressing of this quirky little album, go for it.

Why the mono mix? Double a double Y connection on your turntable and you'll find out why.

Daytripn and tug_of_war like this.
  12. Although I don't have RAM, I do have several of the other 2012 MPL/Hear/Concord releases and I'm more than pleased with them.

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

The 2012 and 2017 release are the same.
    The 2017 is just a re-release/ presssing without the bonus lp and archive banner on the side.

I have the 2017 release and while an original is still prefered, it's an amazing sounding lp.
    Can't go wrong with these new versions from McCartney.

14. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I honestly can't understand the reason of paying at least $25 + tax for new reissue which made from digital sources, if You can still easily find early 70s US Apple pressing ,which is analog and better in every way by definition, for around $10.
    Unless of course You a newbie and Your criterion - only "new, shiny and sealed".

And I don't care how the new reissue sounds. IMO only the original always sounds right by definition, simply because this is what was approved at the time by the band and by people who was working on this particular recording. This is HOW IT SUPPOSE TO SOUND.

15. The very vast majority of my collection consists of original all-analogue releases and from various countries, but I have no issue with buying an excellent digital reissue, especially if it consists of extra material previously unavailable. The most recent LZ and PF digital releases are excellent examples. I bought some of the 2012 Paul McCartney digital releases for exactly that reason. And they sound fabulous to boot!

I respect your reasoning for not wanting to partake, but to criticise others for doing so doesn't do anyone any good.

16. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. A lot of people who grew up in the digital era just don't know any better. They just buy modern digital LP version at some place like "Barnes And Noble" and think this is how it suppose to sound. I just share information which people who care about that might use. Or not, still, this is a free country. When i started collecting LP's about 12 years ago I didn't know it either and made some mistakes buying modern "digital" reissues.

17. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

What about the SH Californication reissue or projects that were rushed and that have been remastered under supervision of the artist/producer ?

RockyRaccoon likes this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Nah, you’ve bought into audio hype. I managed used LP shops for about a decade, have collected vinyl for about 40 years, and the new pressings of Ram blow away original US Apple pressings - all of which tend to have congestion and distortion on the crescendo of “Back Seat of My Car.”

Original UK is the way to go if you must have an original.

Daytripn, hutlock, Troyh and 10 others like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the DCC CD is tremendous

20. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

The only problem is that blanket statements about modern reissues all being of poor sound quality are not accurate. I see it all the time. Somebody will pass up a quality reissue and go for an original that was poorly mastered (with surface noise) in the first place just because its "vintage".

21. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

The mono from 2012 with the white cover was a real ear-opener for me....at the time it kinda made me love my turntable again, after a period where I had been getting a little lazy and sloppy about playing records. It's mono but it has really great "depth" to it....like a thickness in the sound? I hate to use the word "punchy" but you feel the music as much as hear it. The screaming guitar solo and the jammy psychedelic fadeout on "Too Many People"....I'd never heard it sound so good. That first rhythm guitar on "Smile Away," you can really feel how hard he's hitting the strings. I really dug it, the mono mix turned out to be a real treat, but of course your impressions may vary. I do have an Apple original, too.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The mono mix is definitely the best. It doesn't have the phase issue that exists with every stereo version.

Daytripn, NunoBento and Mt.Elga like this.
  23. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

And nobody knows like meeeee...

24. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

All nice and well, but good look finding the mono copy or the DCC, let alone at a good price.
    The 2012/2017 stereo vinyl is a great sounding release, easy to find.

ted321 likes this.
  25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The 2017 is the same (re)master as the 2017. No difference.