Paul McCartney - RAM Half Speed Remaster - May 14, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Paul should make an exception with V and M and have it remixed altogether. Just sayin'....

2. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

I just found a copy on Ebay that costs little more than what I paid for on the official McCartney website and it would arrive in a couple of weeks at the most ... I'm very tempted to buy it and then give away or sell my copy from the official site

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I just ordered mine and expect to have it in a couple of weeks as well.

Aleksander86 likes this.
  4. Well they’ve been doing this since the 70s. Tons of albums had cardboard sleeves (Tusk for one). All the rest had paper sleeves. Few had poly or plastic.

We survived. So did our records.

5. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

After hearing non-fill on my copy, I promptly went right back out the door and drove to my local for a return. They had less than a handful of copies when I purchased mine and there was no way I was going to wait for a more "convenient" time to return, particularly because the weekend was approaching. So glad I made that decision because after replacing mine, there was one copy left in the store. Mine had non-fill on both sides, particularly side 2, track 1. We opened up my replacement copy and played it in the store to make sure that it too wasn't defective. In my opinion, it sounds amazing and knew I had to have a keeper copy in my collection.

John Bliss, DK Pete and Myke like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s not about a matter of “we survived”. Just because this has been going on since the 1970s doesn’t mean it’s the right practice. Placing records in tight cardboard sleeves causes scuffing and hairlines, which causes surface noise. I’ve had to exchange or return many LPs because of this.

At least in the 1970s there wasn’t an option. Paper inner sleeves were it. Now there’s no excuse.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    John Bliss, Revolver, Sailor and 2 others like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Amoeba's pushing how they have copies on Facebook for those looking and not wanting to pay $75 -$100 for it.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
  8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Double cardboards for that extra protection :laugh:

9. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

I ordered mine from Bull Moose (it looks like they still have copies available, FYI) and it arrived last Thursday the 13th. I finally got around to opening it today and while the record arrived with quite a bit of schmutz on it, after a good cleaning I'm happy to report that it's flat, quiet, and without any pressing defects. I replaced the paper sleeve, but kept the cellophane on the jacket as otherwise the OBI will not last very long.

10. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Mine has a tiny bit of non fill, but overall, it's really terrific sounding, and I don't feel like risking a worse copy. Go to copy, for me.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Sure I guess. I’ve had no issues with any of these sleeves. Thousands of records later all is good but I know it is a big thing for some now to slip everything in MoFi styles sleeves. I only do this if a sleeve needs replacing due to a rip or aberration.

Columbia did plastic zipped inners in the late sixties for while and then switched back to paper.

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’d be okay with a lighter/thinner paper sleeve. I don’t know how that would fare with heavier pressings?

apple-richard and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Rip right through it...
    Those old UK/German poly lined papers should be standard in everything today. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for them.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Me too. I’d gladly pay extra.

John Bliss, apple-richard and c-eling like this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Shhh...this is an anti-remix Forum, beware... but I wholeheartedly agree. :cheers:

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow...you played the entire album?? I wonder if this store has a corner where they can set me up with headphones...I definitely have to have one, o e way or the other.

apple-richard likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What I do in these OBI cases is since all my albums are kept in protective outer sleeves anyway, I keep the LP itself outside of the cover..this way I'm just pulling the record in and out without touching the cover and OBI remains in place and untouched.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Actually there was an option. Lined sleeves started coming out prior to the mid seventies. I still have some of my original pressings from them in them. The albums play flawlessly nearly 50 years later.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Only thing is, the type of sleeve has nothing to do with no-fill. Far as quality in the seventies, we may have had albums that were pressed off center or sometimes warped and maybe even a touch of pops and snap....but to my experience, this no fill business is something relatively new thats materialized on heavy vinyl reissues. I don't recall hearing that blatant scratchy noise on a brand new album in the seventies (or eighties for that matter). Sorry if I sound kinda "loud" here....this Ram experience has really annoyed the hell outta me. :realmad:

20. Agree about that back in the 70s. My new copy has no non fill issues.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I've heard non-fill on Beatles UK Apple pressings. The white vinyl versions of Let It Be and the White Album come to mind, as well as 1980s Beatles UK pressings (mono White Album and later stereo pressings of Abbey Road).

apple-richard and DK Pete like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Interesting..I think the very first time I heard no fill was on a current day 180g Japanese reissue of Living in the Material World which I actually bought used in the late 00's. It took me by surprise as I'd never heard anything like it before. The vinyl surface looked perfectly "clean" all over but the no fill spots sounded like I was playing the record with a razor blade.

Tommyboy and apple-richard like this.
  23. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

What do you think about the sound quality @Mazzy ?

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hi. Could you post the catalogue number of this reissue. It isn’t on Discogs and I would like to hunt it down but can’t find info online. Thanks.

25. Geoffsterpiano

Geoffsterpiano ...Give me great sound, or give me death...

As do I. Of all the McCartney albums, V&M desperately needs a remix......