Paul McCartney - RAM Half Speed Remaster - May 14, 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Pattch82

Pattch82 Trouble is - gloves don't give a sh!t.

Sorry for the newb question here, but what is the difference between the matrices mentioned earlier in the thread? The -1, -2, -3 ???

I have a copy of Ram with YEX 837-2 and 837-3 matrix, Apple labels. Not sure what it means though?

Is it a different mastering? What does the -1, -2, -3 actually mean? Any differences sonically?

Any info would be appreciated!

2. I remember the copy I bought on the day of release had a cardboard sleeve. Paper sleeves were not “it”, cardboard sleeves and poly-lined sleeves were all used in the 1970s.

joy stinson likes this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Unfortunately I can't help you...I got rid of it since then...sorry.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You're wrong. The LP with the copy of Ram that I bought in the early 1970s was housed in a paper inner sleeve. UK copies used paper inner sleeves. There was no carboard inner.

The majority of LPs that I bought in the 1970s and 1980s were issued with paper inner sleeves.

Shawn and DK Pete like this.
  5. I think the new half speed sounds really good and I haven’t been a fan of of any other of the Abbey Read half Speeds I’ve tried (Bob Marley). But I didn’t compare to my American or U.K. originals.

If you don’t have this title I’d jump and get it. I think only indie stores have it so seek them out.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is correct.

joy stinson and Tommyboy like this.
  7. I worked in the record biz from 1973-1980. Polylined sleeves were very rare. Mostly used by classical labels. Warner Brothers and a few other labels brought them back occasionally in the early 1980s

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Capitol used paper inner sleeves with their Beatles LPs. It wasn’t until 1983 or so when they switched over to the rice paper type inner sleeves that were standard in Japan.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I started with the half speeds and then followed up with the originals. I prefer the originals.

That’s what I’ve found with most of the Abbey Road half speeds. The originals sound better.

DK Pete and Mazzy like this.
  10. I only tried two of the half speeds and thought they were just ok. I only have three US originals but they sound so much better. I got rid of the others in a partial mid 90s vinyl purge. Big mistake.

11. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Thanks Mazzy. I remember from your videos that you are not a fan of Half Speed (neither am I). But I have the impression that this album has been better received than other (Half Speed) in this forum.

12. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

That's how I'm feeling with these McCartney reissues. I've been skeptical about half-speed for years and just think of it as over hyped marketing (and maybe it really is) and tend to skip a lot half-speed reissues, but these two McCartney reissues have been pleasantly surprising. This new copy of Ram holds it own for sure.

13. goer

goer Forum Resident

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  14. Pattch82

Pattch82 Trouble is - gloves don't give a sh!t.

Slightly off topic, but still Ram related...

Does anyone know if there are any other Ram tribute/cover albums out there???

I have the Dave Depper one, the Tim Christensen live album and the new 'Ram On' one. I've also got the 'Ram on L.A.' compilation but only on download, not sure if that ever had a physical release.

I also heard of one called 'Tom' which was put together by a WFMU radio station DJ or something like that??? But I've never managed to track that one down on download or physical.

joy stinson likes this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ain't gonna happen. Just sayin'....

:magoo:

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It actually is.

17. mocaw

mocaw Well-Known Member

Closest I have is "Listen To What The Man Said" on Oglio but it only has 2 RAM tracks. Coincidently it has its 20th anniversary this year.

joy stinson and Pattch82 like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Who are you?

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The bigger worry with this reissue is the pressing quality. I love the way the remaster sounds. For clarity and bass/high end balance it's among the best half speed masters I've heard. But as always, everyone hears it differently.

Aleksander86 likes this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have made a promise to myself to try to avoid the dreaded Abbey Road obi, but I made an exception for Ram. I don't need for it to be the "best" version; I just don't want it to suffer from a flat presentation and excessive low end. I should be getting my copy soon, so I'll give it a listen.

21. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Does anyone know how many albums were pressed? "Limited" is a meaningless word. :thumbsdow

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

No idea what you're trying to say. The album is in fact on Discogs.

23. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

D
    DEAR Strat-Mangler
    I was not trying to directly compere the new half speed remaster with any particular previous issue of this recording.My post was an exhalation of joy to the quality of this new pressing. I don't particularly enjoy direct comparisons. IMO all records sound different on different set ups you are listening to .General characteristics are comparable but very often its down to ones own personal taste. Good luck if you prefer this or that particular pressing.
    As you will have read I have know this recording for over 40 years and memory is a fickle friend, but here a a few of the different pressings I own and listen to and enjoy ,some more frequently than others!
    Vinyl
    1/ Near mint 1St pressing on Apple YEX 837-1 837-1
    2/ later '' light apple'' pressing YEX 837-1 837-1
    3/ late 70s UK Capitol pressing YEX 837-1 837-1
    4/ Another UK Capitol pressing YEX 837-2 837-3
    5/Concord Universal Pressing of 2012 in Stereo
    6/ and Mono

Compact Disk
    1/ 1st mfd in UK pressing 1987 7 466 12 2
    2/1st Japanese pressing 1987 cp 32-5455
    3/2nd UK pressing 1993 0777 7 89139 2 4
    4 / Ram Box set 2012 in Stereo and Mono
    5/ Japanese Shm cd 2012 UDCD 3039

Enjoying these recordings over the years has, I hope allowed me to pass on to the readers of this page a little of my joy of such a nice new pressing and assist , a little, in their decision regarding their purchase.
    As for you dear Stat- Mangler I do hope i have been able to satisfy you enquiry . Please forgive any little errors in the cat nos matrix ect.
    regards, Alan

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I asked someone for a catalogue number of a Japan pressing that I want to purchase. Do you know the catalogue number?

LivingForever likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Ah. Thought you meant this reissue which appeared on Discogs only yesterday.