Paul McCartney releases surprising new single 'Get Enough'...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydynamite, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There was something like Get Enough in Paul’s catalog before: it’s like a mashup of I Don’t Know and Fuh You from the album. I’m not resistant to new artistic directions from Paul: I like McCartney II. I like Electric Arguments. I like Kisses on the Bottom. What I am resistant to is weak songwriting dressed up in not-really-that-new-and-interesting production clichés. Fans aren’t disliking this song because it’s too far out for them to grasp, as if it were the modern Trout Mask Replica or Kid A, they’re disliking it because it sounds exactly like what you’d expect a collaboration with a contemporary hack song doctor for hire to sound like.

Frank and aphexj like this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I don't care whether he retires or not, but I suspect the reason people would rather he retires is because his new material isn't very good / his voice sounds bad / it's cringeworthy, more than anything else.

3. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Well, that’s a matter of opinion. „Egypt Station“ was McCartney‘s first number one album in the US and Germany in ages.
    Furthermore the editors of German Rolling Stone magazine voted the album as one of the 25 best albums of 2018; the readers as best album of 2018...

MPLRecords and foxylady like this.
  4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It is interesting that the song was released without any mention of the Super Deluxe ES along with the song...But I guess a full press release and details are coming soon. Hopefully next week!

I'm guessing "Get Started", "Nothing for Free", "Get Enough" + 3 additional unreleased songs from the sessions + 3-4 remixes and outtakes from the LP songs + a really nice book and art print + song stickers and a ES patch.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

None of that changes my opinion or the opinion of anyone else who doesn't like it.

Rolling Stone magazine has been a joke for a long time now. McCartney could fart into the microphone and they'd consider it a masterpiece.

Frank and Steve M. like this.
  6. lazydynamite

lazydynamite Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nonsense utter nonsense.
    If there is one major artist out there who has been consistantly unfairly savaged by critics it is McCartney.
    It all started in the early 1970s around RAM mainly because of the bitter jealous rantings of John [and George].
    It became rock critic cool to savage McCartney at any critical rock writer muse level.Luckily the people who actually bought the records continued to do so in their millions despite the majority of reviews.

MPLRecords and foxylady like this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Nope. Not "utter nonsense" whatsoever.

The comment I replied to was making the appeal to authority fallacy, by saying "Furthermore the editors of German Rolling Stone magazine voted the album as one of the 25 best albums of 2018."

"Appeal to Authority

Appeal to authority is a common type of fallacy, or an argument based on unsound logic.

When writers or speakers use appeal to authority, they are claiming that something must be true because it is believed by someone who said to be an "authority" on the subject. Whether the person is actually an authority or not, the logic is unsound. Instead of presenting actual evidence, the argument just relies on the credibility of the "authority."

Examples of Appeal to Authority:
    1. A commercial claims that a specific brand of cereal is the best way to start the day because athlete Michael Jordan says that it is what he eats every day for breakfast.

2. A book argues that global warming is not actually happening, and cites the research of one environmental scientist who has been studying climate change for several years.

3. Someone argues that drinking is morally wrong and cites a sermon from her pastor at church.

4. A little boy says that his friends should not go swimming in a river because his Mama said there were germs in the river.

5. A commercial claims that 3 out of 4 dentists would choose this particular brand of toothpaste for their own families to use.

6. My sister-in-law, who is a teacher, said that this school is not somewhere that I would want to send my children.!

Appeal to Authority Examples

Frank, NaturalD and Steve M. like this.
  8. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

You seem to have problems accepting opinions different from your very own. It seems to hurt you to accept that there are professional journalists who studied music and journalism that the only option left for you is to make fun of them... what a poor performance.

Interpolantics likes this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Ah. and now you're going for the the ad hominem attack fallacy tactic. Evidently, because you didn't like that I have an opinion you dislike, and because I'd already pointed out that you'd made a fallacy.

"You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.
    Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it."
    Your logical fallacy is ad hominem

Can you quote me the part that had you come to the conclusion that I have trouble accepting opinions other than my own? I have no trouble whatsoever accepting that people have opinions that differ from my own. I also have no issue arguing a point when someone is using flawed logic or making straw man arguments.

Are you sure you're not talking about yourself? Considering that other people had opinions before I even commented, which had you writing, "Question for all the people that would like McCartney to retire immediately just because they don’t like one single song from his vast catalogue: Is it possible that you take yourself (and your personal taste) a wee little bit too serious?"

It's perfectly fine for people not to like Paul McCartney's new music, y'know?

Evidently, you seem to have trouble accepting that.

Frank and Steve M. like this.
  10. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

No, I‘m talking about people attacking journalists claiming „McCartney could fart into a microphone and they would consider it a masterpiece“. That‘s vulgar and poor style for any discussion.

11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's humour. You've got your knickers in a twist over that as well? Seriously?

That was my response to you using appeal to authority after I gave my opinion. I spot those tactics a mile off. The editors opinion of Rolling Stone magazine makes no odds to my opinion. They're not an authority, they're people with opinions.

You wrote "You seem to have problems accepting opinions different from your very own."

Now I'll ask again. Can you quote me the part that had you come to the conclusion that I have trouble accepting opinions other than my own? No?

Also, professional journalists who studied music and journalism have changed their opinion many times throughout the decades. They're welcome to their opinion. But it's not necessarily going to be one that that I share.

Frank, Carlox, Steve M. and 1 other person like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This is sooooooooo bad

Chuckee, Frank, wino14 and 2 others like this.
  13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm sure there are plenty that agree with you, just realize that there are people all over the world who have a totally different opinion.

None of that changes my opinion or the opinion of anyone else who does like it, see how that works?

Interpolantics likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't paid much attention to his new material. I guess if he can write new songs that fits his voice then that's good. I have watched/listened to him recently singing his old songs and I do find that hard to listen to. I think he had one of the all time great singing voices when he was younger.

Carlox, Steve M. and Sondek like this.
  16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Seriously? I'm entitled to my opinion and there's people all over the world with different opinions? When you did come up with this revelation?

At no point did I say nor imply that anyone's opinion should be changed by what Rolling Stone magazine editors think or by my opinion on Paul McCartney's new material.
    Also, you're saying "See how that works", as if it wasn't obvious in the first place.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I bet he would auto tune that fart

Frank and Sondek like this.
  18. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Does this qualify as a haiku? I think so!

Frank likes this.
  19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I'm with you. It's the same for me listening to his new music now.

angelees and Carlox like this.
  20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Sometimes really crappy music is a famous guy who should know better just screwing around. Not thinking of any famous guy or song in particular.

Frank likes this.
  21. Steve M.

Steve M. Forum Resident

I don't like the sound his McCartney's voice these days. :hide: *Ducks in just in case I get told off too*

22. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

In case it was missed between all the bickering, post #638 lists, I believe, 2 new songs we haven't discussed before!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  23. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Do we know if this is real? And Propaganda Rádio and Final sound like spoken word things, like “Paul McCartney here with songs from my new album” and probably aren’t tracks

Paul H, Who Cares and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I don't know any more than what the ebay listing has. There are some other 'promo' cd's from Brazil that look like boots. This may be too, but the listing says it's issued by Universal.

You could be right about the unknown tracks just being a spoken bit.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  25. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Propaganda rádio in English is Radio advertisement. So spoken word. Don’t know about final

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.